before cardio i like to take the following

800mg Calcium
    1 x multi - vit
    2g vit c
    100mg Potassium
    1g Taurine
    1g Acetyl -L -Carnitine
    200mg Caffeine

sometimes i feel a bit sickly - but nothing i cant handle- but sometimes i get the feeling that these vits have trouble getting absorbed without food

mrclark is offline Junior Member
    Hi G-Force, I can say for sure regarding a few of them -

Calcium is best absorbed with Vitamin D coupled (should usually find them together when purchasing a bottle of 600mg-1000mg Ca2+vit D) Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin

You multi-vitamin will have other beneficicial vitamins that are fat soluble, and other minerals which would be better absorbed with your meal.

Vit C is water soluble
    Can't say much for the Taurine and Potassium , but believe the taurine would be treated just as the caffeine would.

Caffine is ok, and so is the Acetly-L-Carnitine.

Fat Soluble vitamins are : A, D, E, K
    Best to take your multi with your earliest pro-fat or pro-carb meal (if there are trace amounts of fat in that meal)

Calcium you sweat alot of it out from lifting, and it might be best to take with your last meal while you sleep - it's important that you feed your skeleton too

Vitamin C (2-3grams), I read from a post that it's great to take this 2 hours (i.e. with your pre-workout meal)

Why are you taking the potassium? The taurine, caffine, and carnitine look ok to take in the AM empty. Let's see what others say.

donbone is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclark

Calcium is best absorbed with Vitamin D coupled (should usually find them together when purchasing a bottle of 600mg-1000mg Ca2+vit D) Vit D is a fat soluble vitamin

You multi-vitamin will have other beneficicial vitamins that are fat soluble, and other minerals which would be better absorbed with your meal.

Vit C is water soluble
    Can't say much for the Taurine and Potassium , but believe the taurine would be treated just as the caffeine would.

Best to take your multi with your earliest pro-fat or pro-carb meal (if there are trace amounts of fat in that meal)

Calcium you sweat alot of it out from lifting, and it might be best to take with your last meal while you sleep - it's important that you feed your skeleton too

Vitamin C (2-3grams), I read from a post that it's great to take this 2 hours (i.e. with your pre-workout meal)

Why are you taking the potassium? The taurine, caffine, and carnitine look ok to take in the AM empty. Let's see what others say.
    I agree. Looks good I am going to follow this.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    are there some that can be taken on an empty stomach and some that cant
    i know vit e requires some fat to dissolve

before cardio i like to take the following

800mg Calcium
    1 x multi - vit
    2g vit c
    100mg Potassium
    1g Taurine
    1g Acetyl -L -Carnitine
    200mg Caffeine

sometimes i feel a bit sickly - but nothing i cant handle- but sometimes i get the feeling that these vits have trouble getting absorbed without food
    I cant handle any multi vitamin on a empty stomach. I get extremely naseous.

vit-c, tuarine is no problem at all. I cant tell about the ALCar, caffeine is no problem unless you are prone to ulcers, the vit c will make the calcium absorb very well. Probably no problem with the potassium either.

But just watch the stomach I can imagine pure minerals and vit's can be hard on it in the long run especialy with caffein throw into the mix. If you start noticing more frequent heart burns or anything similar ditch it. A katharr or ulcer is NO fun.

The amount of fat needed to absorbe vit e has been shown to be very small. Not sure about vit a or d but those fat soulables are not a issue anyway.

Vit C is water soluble

I agree with everything in your post except one thing. I dont think anyone should supplement with calcium and especialy not with vitamin d or a. Most people have to much calcium as it is and combining calcium with vitamins that increase absorbation is just a unnessecary health risk. If taking calcium one should always take magnesium aswell to lower that risk.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    johan why do u say this?

i have just read an article (in musclemag international) which states how important calcium is for your bones, collagen, muscle contraction, regular heart beat, protein synthesis and even fat loss

it was estimated that one might loose 400mg of calcium in one workout session
    and that a bodybuilder is more likely to suffer from calcium deficiency as a result of a high protein diet which causes loss of calcium in urine - as a result of the high acidicity of protein.

and supplementation of 1500 - 2000mg was advisable for the bodybuilder

Vit C is water soluble

i am taking potassium to avoid muscle cramps, as i am also taking clenbuterol

my multi vit contains Vit D - i havent been taking vit e before my morning cardio - i have been waiting till after with my first meal

i may add 1 - 2g omega 3 caps to help with the absorbtion of these vits

johan why do u say this?

i have just read an article (in musclemag international) which states how important calcium is for your bones, collagen, muscle contraction, regular heart beat, protein synthesis and even fat loss

it was estimated that one might loose 400mg of calcium in one workout session
    and that a bodybuilder is more likely to suffer from calcium deficiency as a result of a high protein diet which causes loss of calcium in urine - as a result of the high acidicity of protein.

and supplementation of 1500 - 2000mg was advisable for the bodybuilder
    from Dr Tom Levy's homepage
    http://www.tomlevymd.com/archiveissue9.htm

However, the calcium-delivering properties of calcium ascorbate are precisely the best reasons for avoiding this product. Although it appears from the early work of Weston A. Price, D.D.S. that acutely raising the ionic calcium levels in the blood can greatly improve the acute phases of healing in damaged tissues, this does not address what the long-term consequences of calcium administration may entail. In fact, it appears that the bulk of the scientific data supports the concept that the vast majority of the older population is massively overdosed on calcium and legitimately suffering from calcium toxicity. We continue to be stressed with warnings of increased risk of osteoporosis while the data clearly shows that most deaths in patients with osteoporosis relate to the vascular system and not the bones (Kruger and Horrobin, 1997). Furthermore, excess calcium in the coronary arteries, one marker of long-term calcium overdosage, is also directly correlated to increased risk of heart attack (Raggi et al., 2003), increased incidence of chronic degenerative disease (Arad et al., 2001; Christian et al., 2003; Kiryu et al., 2003; Wong et al., 2003), and increased degree of overall "all-cause mortality" (Shaw et al., 2003).
    So, if you are a older chronic calcium supplement taker, just be aware that there are negatives to this practice. The chance of dying from an osteoporotic fracture doesn't remotely approach the chances of dying from a heart attack, cancer, or another chronic degenerative disease. Furthermore, it is far from clear that the traditional treatment approach to osteoporosis significantly affects the likelihood of a subsequent fracture. The scientific evidence, however, is very clear that supplemental calcium often fuels the progression of atherosclerosis, with the expected increased chance of heart attack.

If the above does not convince you that supplemental calcium, with very rare exceptions, should be completely avoided, at least start tracking your calcium accumulations. The coronary artery CAT scan should show no calcium. Check it. Your heart should not be calcifying. Check your ECHOcardiogram. Hair analysis should not show excess calcium. Check it. If any or all of these tests are positive for calcium, you should be especially concerned about dumping still more supplemental calcium into your blood and body on a daily basis
    also most native people dont get all that much calcium from the diet(unless they are milk drinkers). I have read numbers as low as 1/10-1/5th of what a regular american get. They show no problems what so ever, no weakening of the bones ect.
    About high protein and calcium loss. If you use whey you should know that a serving(50grams)contains around 230mg of calcium anyway. My pwo shake alone takes care of any possible calcium loss during a workout. Milk, yoghurt, cheese, veggies covers the rest of my daily needs easily.

Maby we bodybuilders maby can gain from some supplementation(Im thinking mainly about its positive effects on fat loss)but I wouldnt overdo it considering the possible long term consequenses. If you supplement with calcium always take magnesium aswell!! The balance betwen magnesium, calcium, potassium is more important than the individual ammounts of each mineral.

thanks johan
    i suppose its the same with everthing - a little is good, but any more and you'll probably die

its difficult to find the right balance - i'm annoyed musclemag failed to mention any of this in their article

i have magnesium in my multi vit and i supplement with potassium - do you know the recommended ratio for these 3?

unfortunaly I no longer have all the good vit and mineral books and I dont have it in my head. But I seem to recall that the ratio betwen calcium/magnesium should be 1:2 or 1:3

Il try and look it up sometime today.

yeah a little of everything(except vitamin c )is the best way.

everything in moderation as my mother always says

i was thinking of getting some ZMA - i wander if this contains enough magnesium
    (450mg per serving)

you could always dubbel the serving. But isnt it cheaper to go with zink and magnesium separatly??

probably - i just this minute ordered a bottle of z-force which is zma and also contains tribulus

i am comming up to pct soon so will use it then

mrclark is offline Junior Member
    everything in moderation as my mother always says

i was thinking of getting some ZMA - i wander if this contains enough magnesium
    (450mg per serving)
    If your going to take the ZMA, it is recommended to take at night before sleep. - ANyways, it's mentioned with most ZMA interactions that you do not take calcium with it as they both compete for similar receptors. Since I rarely consume dairy, my multi and calcium source from food is much more limited. So I ditched the stuff - ZMA did help me sleep better though. It must have been the magnesium - as it is a natural muscle relaxant. Anyways the calium issue - if your packing on muscle - better have a strong frame to hold it all together

As Johan mentioned the calcium to magnesium ratio :

Most standard Calcium / Magnesium formulations are sold in a ratio of 2:1, while recommendations
    by nutritional practitioners can vary from a 4:1 - 1:1 (Cal/Mag) ratio. Some sources claim that calcium
    and magnesium oppose each other at the intracellular level, thus low magnesium intake causes high
    calcium storage or calcification, while other sources maintain that magnesium is needed for proper
    calcium absorption. As a result, low magnesium intake can be responsible for low calcium levels.
    Taken from : http://www.acu-cell.com/mr.html

Another link - http://www.enerex.ca/articles/calciu...sium_ratio.htm

thanks for clearing that upp about ratios

how about if i take 800mg calcium in the morning
    and zma before i go to bed~?

sounds like a plan. But post cardio I think is better. I dont know if the stomach is that efficient at handling all those concentrated minerals when doing cardio. Digestion isnt a priority for the body during the cardio I guess If you could get liquid minerals(koloidal or something like that)it would be awsome. Look into donsbach products maby if they are aviable in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    sounds like a plan. But post cardio I think is better. I dont know if the stomach is that efficient at handling all those concentrated minerals when doing cardio. Digestion isnt a priority for the body during the cardio I guess If you could get liquid minerals(koloidal or something like that)it would be awsome. Look into donsbach products maby if they are aviable in the states.

noted
    thanks

Thread Information