MotoXracer is offline Associate Member

High protien diet and heartburn?

Has any one ever heard that high protien diets tend to give you heartburn because protien is hard to digest? I was talking to my friend that works for Atkins about how i've been getting bad heartburn lately, even when I'm not eating and that's when he suggested that it might be from a high protien diet. I have been on a diet for the last 6 weeks. He was telling me that people that were on the Atkins diet for an extended peroid of time also complained about this. Is this true at all?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    People can get heartburn for a myriad of reasons, so saying high protein causes heartburn would be a slippery slope statement at best.

Case in point, I eat about 500 grams of protein a day, and I've NEVER HAD heartburn in my life.

For some it may, others no, but I don't think there is a DIRECT correlation no.

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    You have basically two options, take Tums or go to the doc and ask about acid reflux. Cause lowering protein is not a viable option if you are trying to gain or lose weight.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    One very easy way to control this is putting baking soda in the shakes. It makes them taste better and raises ph.

High protein meals are in general acid producing and so is most of our general foods. Most guys are lucky and the stomach and body can handle it. But a few of us are not so lucky so we need to be a bit more carefull. Eating lots of fruit and greens is a good way to keep ph balanced. Fruits are acidic but when digested they produce things with high ph so the net result is a raised ph level. Eat a fruit before or betwen meals and do the baking soda trick and you will get it sorted out in no time.

Also if you drink coffe limit it, coffe(all caffein products) is acid producing. If you drink cola or cola light ditch it completely that shit is seriously acidic.

Using a probiotic product can help aswell since the other parts of the digestive track effects your stomach alot.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    btw get this sorted as soon as possible. I used to NEVER have heartburns in my life and suddenly started to get them. Within 6 months I had a damn ulcer.

Thread Information