xtinaunasty is offline Female Member

how does my diet look?

hey guys, I know you are sick of these diet critiques but i promise i have done my research (mostly of the trial and error variety) and hopefully you wont find a whole lot wrong with this one. so here it goes...

well, im female, 23, 5'3", 115 lbs, approx 12.5% BF. i dont need or want to buid any muscle, just maintain. my goal is to cut fat...its just the stubborn last 5-7 lbs im trying to get off now. i had my base metabolism measured by the BodyGem which measures oxygen use or something...supposidly really accurate....it was 1470 cals (that is complete rest, not even moving a finger...just breathing). after factoring in walking around, running errands, and well, eating and moving somewhat...the trainer that did the test estimated at least 1750 a day for maintinence if i DIDNT work out (which i do). so i try and keep my daily cals at 1450-1500. i have run clen /t3 before but im not running anything right now. i usually pop an ECA before morning cardio. here is a breakdown of my weekly work out routine--

CARDIO: 4 days a week 45-60 mins steady state 65%-75% MHR & 2 days a week either interval training (sprints for 20-30 mins) or playing soccer (45 min games, sprinting the whole time). i try and do the cardio in the morning on an empty stomach but my schedule is crazy so sometimes in the afternoon after weights.

WEIGHTS: 4 days a week - chest/tris, back/bis, legs, abs/shoulders. i usually superset the two body parts. it lasts 30 mins on average.

as for my diet i may substitute some lean proteins or different oils, but the concept is the same. so here is an average day...

AM Cardio
    Meal 1: 6 egg whites + 1oz fat free cheese + 1/2c oatmeal
    285/35/29/3

Meal 2: 6 oz ground turkey breast + broccoli or romain lettuce + 1 tbsp flax oil
    357.5/50/0/17.5

PM Workout or soccer game
    Meal 3 (PWO): 2 scoops Isopure Protein Shake + 6oz fat free no sugar added yogurt + 1 slices whole wheat bread
    350/43/42/1.5

Meal 4: 9 egg whites + 2oz fat free cheese + 1/3c oatmeal
    340/53/23/2

Meal 5: 2.5 oz chicken breast + broccoli or romain lettuce + 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    180/21.5/0/9.5

Daily totals: 1512.5/202.5/94/33.5

SUPPLIMENTS: Like I said, I pop an ECA before morning cardio and sometimes before my afternoon workout, multivitamin, glutamine (5g after AM cardio + there is already 5 g in my Isopure + 5g before bed), potassium, dandilion root, uva versi, B complex, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C

CHEAT: I dont really have a cheat meal or cheat day...but i usually do drink once a week its bad i know, but im young and single...cant just sit in the house and rock back and forth. but if you insist i must cut that out in order to reach my goal...i will do it

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by xtinaunasty; 09-18-2005 at 01:14 AM.

anyone?

okay...i dont understand how my diet question is different from every other bloke who gets 30 replies in a day. i provided all the information needed to give a critique...and i know its not perfect. so please, help me out...someone

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd say give it at least a DAY and have a bit of patience.

"Bloke"?? Ouch!!!!! Some may not like that term.

~SC~

thanks swole...

Bloke: (blōk) n. chiefly british slang - A fellow; a man.

didn't mean any harm by it...just something i say for average dude. hopefully no one took offense!

Gerkie66 is offline Female Member
    I would say at 5'3'' and 115 lbs you are at a pretty good weight and to have 12.5% bf...that is pretty low for a female...so it seems that you have pretty good muscle definition too...not too sure why you wanna lose weight because you should focus on bf% and you don't wanna go any lower...well, unless you had a competition in a week or something.

i have only two suggestion and the first one would be what ttuprincess, sassy69, and wild-one have recommended for me and that is to try carb-cycling...the second one would be to try and increase the time you spend on your resistance training each day (personally I shoot for anywhere from one to two hours...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerkie66
    I would say at 5'3'' and 115 lbs you are at a pretty good weight and to have 12.5% bf...that is pretty low for a female...so it seems that you have pretty good muscle definition too...not too sure why you wanna lose weight because you should focus on bf% and you don't wanna go any lower...well, unless you had a competition in a week or something.

i have only two suggestion and the first one would be what ttuprincess, sassy69, and wild-one have recommended for me and that is to try carb-cycling...the second one would be to try and increase the time you spend on your resistance training each day (personally I shoot for anywhere from one to two hours...)
    the only thing that i am trying to get rid of is the little extra fat covering my lower abs and obliques. its like i have a mini spare tire or something...but the rest of my body is ripped. i have tried carb-cycling before but i dont think i ate the right carbs. i still want to stay away from sugars and have low GI carbs right? do i keep the calorie level the same on high carb days?

two hours on resistance training? DAMN!! i really dont want to gain any more muscle...i put it on way too easy. but i will add another exercise to each body part and see what happens. thanks so much!

Gerkie66 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    ...do i keep the calorie level the same on high carb days?

two hours on resistance training? DAMN!! i really dont want to gain any more muscle...i put it on way too easy. but i will add another exercise to each body part and see what happens. thanks so much!
    here is what wild-one told me as far as calories and carb-cycling...

You want to start w/ your medium day...it should be set for maintenance in terms of calories...(~15cals/lb) carbs ~100-130g. You would also train on this day.

Your low carb day will be an off day, or just for SS cardio. Total calories will be significantly below maintenance (~12cals/lb) and carbs would be as close to 0 as possible...so choose your protein sources wisely (i.e. don't have cottage cheese)

On your high day you can train in the morning and sprint (or intervals) at night...or vice versa. You're going to have your total calories set at above maintenance (~17cals/lb) and your carbs are going to be rather high...~250-300 ish. You don't want to add any additional fats to this day, you'll get enough from your meats.

Protein should remain constant on all 3 days. Fat will vary slightly to meet calories requirements.

You can start w/ a typical cycle...low, med, high, low, med, high, low

...hope that helps...as far as resistance training goes, you need to shock your body, so i think adding in an extra exercise is a great start. see how your body reacts and you can always adjust things from there...

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Meal 1, i would drop the cheese and just have the egg whites/oatmeal. I would also drop the bread post work out. Drop the oatmeal in meal 4 too

okay, should i be compensating for the dropped calories elsewhere?

gio86 is offline Member
    i think your diet is preaty good..but like matrix said i would drop the cheese on meal one and just keep it just eggwhites and oats. if anything i would say compasate your calories to you pwo meal just carbs..

could i eat my carbs instead of using dextrose? im always ravenous after my PM workout...especially when i have a game. what are good carbs in place of dextrose?

gio86 is offline Member
    well i would say try rice cakes...comes in diffrent flavors and they are great. also bannanas are good, try honey as well.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Yeah basically any carb will suffice, oats, cream of wheat etc...

okay thanks...i had another question. i cant stand plain yams...do you guys cook them a certain way to add flavor?

gio86 is offline Member
    sh*t you beat me to that question girl....i was about to post something like that...as i was eating my chiken and yams today i was wondering if there anyway i can make them less borring???? i cook them in the microwave by the way....to tell you the truth i cooked my ckicke on some pepper and lemon juice and kinda mixed that with my cooked yams and tasted preaty good.

the only way ive cooked 'em is in the microwave too. i usually just sprinkle cinnamon and splenda on them. they arent bad its just kind of a pain in the arse to cook. do you peel yours?

gio86 is offline Member
    nah i dont peel them..i do kinda scrap them with a knife to kinda clean them

do you eat the peel?

gio86 is offline Member
    i just scrape them a lil so i guess i eat some parts of the skin dont eat what i clean tho

I have taken some of your (very appreciated) advice and altered my diet. I didn't change it a whole lot but hopefully enough to make a difference. I added about 3 days with extra cardio in the afternoons. I am a little concerned that my calorie level is too high. I had my BMR measured by the BodyGem (really accurate) and it is 1470. That's without moving a finger, let alone working out this much. So hopefully I will be okay.

For those of you who have read my previous post, I have put the major changes in bold.

Here are my stats again: female, 23, 5'3", 115 lbs, approx 14%-15% bf (the caliper test said 12% but I don’t trust that…I know I am not 12). Im hoping to burn off that stubborn last 5-7 lbs…let me know what you think

AM CARDIO: 6 days a week 45-60 mins steady state 65%-75% MHR

PM CARDIO: 3 days a week (after weights) 30 min interval training
    1 day a week: 45 min soccer game (sprinting the whole time)

WEIGHTS: 4 days a week - chest/tris, back/bis, legs, abs/shoulders. i usually superset the two body parts. Each body part 2-3 exercises with 3 sets 12-15 reps. it lasts 30 mins on average.

AM Cardio
    Meal 1: 9 egg whites + 1/2c oatmeal
    300/36/28/3 - Cals/Pro/Carb/Fat

Meal 2: 6 oz ground turkey breast + broccoli or romaine lettuce + 1 tsp flax oil
    300/50/0/8.5

PM Workout w/ PM Cardio or soccer game
    Meal 3 (PWO): 2 scoops Isopure Protein Shake + 1/4c cream of wheat
    350/36.5/48/.5

Meal 4: 4.5 oz ground turkey breast + broccoli or mushrooms + 1 tsp olive oil +1 tbsp peanut butter
    330/41.5/2/15

Meal 5: 3oz ground turkey breast + broccoli or romain lettuce + 1 tbsp peanut butter + omega complex (omegas 3-6-9, 3g)
    255/29/2/13

Daily totals: 1535/193/80/39

SUPPLIMENTS: Like I said, I pop an ECA before morning cardio and sometimes before my afternoon workout, multivitamin, glutamine (5g after AM cardio + there is already 5 g in my Isopure + 5g before bed), R-ALA 200g + biotin 300g after carb meals, biotinpotassium, dandilion root, uva versi, B complex, calcium, magnesium, vitamin C

CHEAT: I am going to limit my "cheat" (which is a carb loaded meal--nothing too bad or fattening--followed by going out for drinks) to one night every TWO weeks...instead of every week

Looks great but make meal 4 a pro/carb meal and you're all set!

gio86 is offline Member
    looks good to me..nice set up atleast give it a try

If you are going to limit carbs to 80g per day you are going to need a carb up day every few days. 80g IMO is way low you have toomuch Protein, I'd drop the protien and up the carbs a bit.

gio86 is offline Member
    you should do good witht hat diet looks nicely set up and clean...just check your gain (MEANING NOT WEIGHT BUT GOAL) and add or take more

gio86 is offline Member
    that is true i didnt check the total you gave...but 80 grms of carbs is kinda low...your already preaty lean as i understand there for dont be scared of adding lil more carbs...maybe more oats in the morning like a cup insted o half a cup...

i will take out a serving of turkey breast (3 oz...130/25/0/2) and a tsp of oil (40/0/0/4.5) and add 1/2c oatmeal to meal 4. thanks for your help!

i do have one more question...

should i count the veges in my diet towards my total calories? they are all green veges and mostly fiber (except mushrooms)...but a lot of people have told me to eat as many veges as i want and not worry about it. what do ya think?

I wouldn't count them, they are next to nothing.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    i have heard that veggies actually require more Kcals to digest than the amount actually present in the food - therefore making negative calories

is this true?
    obviously not all veggies - but brocoli/cauli flower?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    i have heard that veggies actually require more Kcals to digest than the amount actually present in the food - therefore making negative calories
    THAT'S HOT!!!

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    THAT'S HOT!!!

yes it is, but dont quote me on that just yet
    i'm not 100% sure

can anyone clear this up.......?

Thread Information