Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member

Critique my new (and improved!) diet!

I workout in the morning, around 5-7am, so breakfast is PWO as well.

Breakfast: 1 cup of oatmeal, 60g protein shake in Skim Milk
    Mid-morning snack- 2 26g protein bars
    Lunch- Chicken breast or tuna (no bread), Udo's oil, Skim Milk
    Mid-afternoon-Chicken, Tuna, or Turkey, fat free cottage cheese, Skim Milk
    Dinner-Usually whatever my mom cooks, a protein and a carb, veggies
    Before bed- 60g protein shake in Skim Milk, Udo's oil

Does this diet look good? I am trying to gain as much muscle mass with minimal fat gain. I have been running about 3 miles a day.
    My weight is 205lbs. and height is 5'9''
    Thanks-feel free to add in anything else!

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Running 3 miles a day is definately going to be counterproductive to your muscle gain.

I'd suggest reading the bulking sticky at the top of the diet forum and going from there. Don't neglect PWO nutrition, it's the most important meal of the day IMO.

You should total up your daily calories on www.fitday.com to make sure you're getting enough to grow. It doesn't look like enough food to me at all.

I thought if I keep my heart rate at 80% max then it will not hurt muscle growth. My max is 200+ and I stay around 180. I do not neglect PWO, I have my shake with the oats within 15 minutes of my workout. I am getting 3000-3500 calories a day, 300+g protein, is this really to little to grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    I thought if I keep my heart rate at 80% max then it will not hurt muscle growth. My max is 200+ and I stay around 180. I do not neglect PWO, I have my shake with the oats within 15 minutes of my workout. I am getting 3000-3500 calories a day, 300+g protein, is this really to little to grow?
    Your cardio will not hurt muscle growth directly but the extra calorie expenditure will make you be at a lower calorie balance than if you were to not do cardio. 3000-3500 is really not that much food for a bulking diet bro, if I were eating that little I'd definately not be wasting calories doing cardio.

Do you lift or do cardio in the mornings?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I have my shake with the oats within 15 minutes of my workout.
    I'd suggest changing this to whey/water/dextrose, especially if you are bulking.

~SC~

Well I had planned on lifting in the AM with cardio in the afternoon. I will most likely be at the gym very early (6am), is there enough time to eat a meal and let it settle before lifting? How bad would it hurt to lift on an empty stomach if I am able to follow it with PWO immediately? I would like to continue my cardio to burn off the excess fat that I do have, should I just add another meal or two to my diet? Should it be protein/carb or protein/fat?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    If you are lifting that early you need to get a meal in before hand. Lifting in the AM on an empty stomach is probably one of the most catabolic things known to man. Not a good idea.

Well I had planned on lifting in the AM with cardio in the afternoon. I will most likely be at the gym very early (6am), is there enough time to eat a meal and let it settle before lifting? How bad would it hurt to lift on an empty stomach if I am able to follow it with PWO immediately? I would like to continue my cardio to burn off the excess fat that I do have, should I just add another meal or two to my diet? Should it be protein/carb or protein/fat?
    I'd switch your lifting and cardio, reason being, cardio is more effective at burning fat on an empty stomach (aka AM) and it raises your metabolism for hte entire day.

Lifting requires mass amounts of energy, and it is wise to get a few good meals in you before working out.

Well I guess I will start running in the morning, thanks guys.

Thread Information