xtinaunasty is offline Female Member

good carbs other than oatmeal

im trying to help my friend put a diet together (i will post that when its ready i know you cant wait!). Im starting her out on 40-40-20 just to get her used to an eating plan of some sort. anyway the only carbs i can think of that are low GI is oatmeal. i know sweet potatoes are an option, but she doesnt like those...she doesnt like brown rice either. what are some other good carbs that wont spike her insulin too much? thanks

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    only carbs i recommend when cutting is oatmeal, brown rice, and sweet potatoes.

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    creme of wheat/rice, ezkeil(sp?) bread

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    ezkeil(sp?) bread
    what is that?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    im trying to help my friend put a diet together (i will post that when its ready i know you cant wait!). Im starting her out on 40-40-20 just to get her used to an eating plan of some sort. anyway the only carbs i can think of that are low GI is oatmeal. i know sweet potatoes are an option, but she doesnt like those...she doesnt like brown rice either. what are some other good carbs that wont spike her insulin too much? thanks
    noone said dieting was easy or fun so SINK OR SWIM

ando is offline New Member
    pasta has a GI of about 40 (under 55 is low), and fructose os only about 25 so include fruit as snacks. GI is also decreased by by eating the carbs with protein and/or fat, or by adding lemon juice or vinegar. adding lentils or 3 bean salad will lower GI of a meal

ginkobulloba is offline Senior Member
    Look in the organic section of the supermarket for whole-grain pasta. It's good stuff and should work for a cutting diet.

ezekiel bread is sprouted wheat bread right? is that as good as oatmeal?

your right about sink or swim steve0...thats prolly what im gonna end up telling her. i just dont want her to get frustrated too easily with eating foods she hates. we've all been down that road. she likes cream of wheat...but isnt that a fast digesting carb to have for PWO?

i thought fruit was sugar too...fructose? thanks for the vinegar tip...never heard that before.

ando is offline New Member
    yeh fructose is a sugar, but it has a GI of 25 which is low

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    tell her to eat lots of Veg like brocoli and cauliflower and also legumes such as kidney beans and lentils are an excellent source of low GI carbs (as i recently discovered)

by the way how much fructose is there in fruit? eg a banana - is that low GI?

i'm still pretty clueless with fruit

the list i have says 55 + or - 10. So it isnt THAT bad but for fruit it is.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I eat cream of wheat all the time for b-fast, even when cutting.

I don't understand everyone's obsession w/GI. Reason being, if you eat your CORRECT amounts of carbs and protein in your first meal for example, and fat is kept to a minimum in that meal, then you won't store any fat as fat, nor any excess carbs as fat (because they are in the correct amounts for you and your goals) so the GI is irrelevant!

The issues are when there are fats in the meal, too many carbs in the meal, or a combo of both. If you eat the correct amounts per meal for your goals, and follow a sensible macronutrient combination, then you have nothing at all to worry about.

~SC~

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    ezekiel bread is sprouted wheat bread right? is that as good as oatmeal?

your right about sink or swim steve0...thats prolly what im gonna end up telling her. i just dont want her to get frustrated too easily with eating foods she hates. we've all been down that road. she likes cream of wheat...but isnt that a fast digesting carb to have for PWO?

i thought fruit was sugar too...fructose? thanks for the vinegar tip...never heard that before.
    i would suggest maybe just get her on a better track of dieting slowly start introducing new foods and get her used to it, and not just jump into a new way of eating right of the bat, not like she's competin is she??? then as she slightly adapts intriduce new forms of carbs and proteins and fats....thats what i would do just start her off slow so se will enjoy it instead of dreading her meals--Best of luck

oh i have done that...we lived together for almost a year and she has improved her eating 10-fold. she is getting frustrated because she isnt seeing results (i dont think it helps that i have a different body type and can see results fairly quickly). then again...she will eat good and workout for a all week then have a weekend of binge drinking and greasy hangover food. I told her that weekends DO count. She hasnt grasped that concept yet. Anyway she told me that if she had something to follow she would follow it. So I want to help her out...and if she starts eating clean consistently it will help me out by not having all that temptation around...to include drinking. im going to post the diet now with a few questions...thanks for all your help so far.

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    barley

Thread Information