powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~

Diabetic sugar packets, how they work?

Go to any restuarante and pick up the 'sweet and low' or 'equal' or whatever diabetic sugar packets they have. Read the ingredients, one of the main ingreidients is dextrose. Now, dextrose is one of the highest GI carbs around, much higher than sucrose (regular table sugar), so how in the hell is this going to be helpful for diabetics? I have to be missing something...

decadbal is offline Banned
    those are sugar replacements.. not diatbetic packets, i dont know what those are, but sweet and low and so on, are sugar replacements. dex is the highest on the GI.. most diabetics drink oj for the quick fix when they need it. they dont take in equal

It just says on the packet it's safe for diabetics or something similar.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Yes the amount of dextrose in there is next to nothing, its put in there just as a filler, for texture and so on. This is the same with Splenda, which also has no calories. Technically if you used say 500 packets of Splenda at one time I suppose you would then get a bit of Dextrose. But if you are like the vast majority using 2-3 packets at a time, you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Yes the amount of dextrose in there is next to nothing, its put in there just as a filler, for texture and so on. This is the same with Splenda, which also has no calories. Technically if you used say 500 packets of Splenda at one time I suppose you would then get a bit of Dextrose. But if you are like the vast majority using 2-3 packets at a time, you're all set.
    Why is recommended over an equally small amount of regular sugar (sucrose)? And how can sugar have no calories?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by powerliftmike
    Why is recommended over an equally small amount of regular sugar (sucrose)? And how can sugar have no calories?

It doesn't have "no" calories. I believe they can put that there because it qualifies as under a certain amount. It has way less that 1 calorie per serving. Sugar on the other hand has about 16 cals oer serving. This is not some conspiracy, they are allowed to label it that way because its true. if not they'd be liable for killing diabetics etc....You have to realize the amounts in a packet are very very very small.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    I never got it either.

I raised the question here before.

Sugar replacements aren't sugar free by any means.

Unless you plan to on ingest one packet per meal....i think we're getting fooled.

Serving Size:1 packet (1.0g)

Total Fat 0 g 0%
    Sodium 0 mg 0%
    Total Carbohydrate >1 g 0%
    Protein 0 g 0%

the carb content per serving is just under a gram. This has got to add up as your total number of packets used adds up

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Ok granted it's better than a tbsp of sugar...but imo it's still not sugar-free..that's why i cut it out during the latter phase of my cutting diet.

mitch911 is offline Member
    so when cutting what is ur sugar limit in a meal...try and keep it as low as possible but some sugars slip in there like with a shitload of splenda and in some salad dressings there is 1-3g of sugar in the tablespoon i use

Thread Information