G-Force is offline Anabolic Member

eat as much fat as u like?

i have just finished reading a book called 'The High Protein Diet'

its basic premise is to keep carbs low and protein high along with fresh veg and fruits

nothing new there

but it also suggests that it doesnt matter how many calories you consume in a day as long as they are healthy
    it states that you can consume as many EFA's as you like and still loose weight

i know fats are essential but surely if you are consuming say 40% of your diet from fats then this high calorie will cause a weight gain??

this is what i originally thought - i mean to loose weight (fat) you must conume less calories than u expend right?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If you are aiming for ketosis, you have to consume tons of fats. Usually 75% of your calorie intake would be from fat. Not sure if this diet is that kind of approach though.

~SC~

no it wasnt recommending ketosis, it was more of a low carb diet

40 - 60g carbs a day in the inital (fat loss) phase and slightly more in the maintenance phase

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    40-60grams, That is extremely low. I'd probably pass out if I lifted a finger or blinked.

Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    40-60grams, That is extremely low. I'd probably pass out if I lifted a finger or blinked.

oh i should have mentioned this diet was aimed at people who didnt exercise

or exercised very lightly

any thoughts on excessive calories from fat?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    You have to be in a deficit to lose weight. I don't care what anyone tries to tell you. All these diets are based around some how making you eat less. If you exceed or are equal to your calories expended you will not lose weight, plain and simple. You cannot eat EFA's all day either and expect the weight to fall off. Your body only needs a small amount of EFA's per day. The rest ingested is treated the same as any fat, yes Fish Oil does activate PPAR-Alpha, but that will not account for any serious weight loss. I believe that 40g -60g would perhaps put you in ketosis, and if not you would just be in hell. Not in ketosis but not far away would simply make you lethatgic as all hell.

LAW
    LAW is offline Female Member
    That's what happened to me. I was doing 20g of carbs a day for months. I would have 1 cheat meal a week.
    I was exhausted and some days I didn't get out of bed, I only lost 15 lbs but I was worthless as far as energy goes. I don't think I will do that again.

i usually only eat 45g - 60g carbs on non workout days when cutting

otherwise its 175g - 200g

Why so few on a non-workout day?

Jerzey is offline Member
    Me too Law, I'm better off with carbs and w/o all the fat. Much more energy.

I assume he has less carbs on non-workout days because he isn't working out to burn them off...

yeah what jerzey said
    i still do cardio on non-workout days too

You would still burn off carbs even if you weren't working out. And since you aren't woking out that day you would want carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    You have to be in a deficit to lose weight. I don't care what anyone tries to tell you. All these diets are based around some how making you eat less. If you exceed or are equal to your calories expended you will not lose weight, plain and simple. You cannot eat EFA's all day either and expect the weight to fall off. Your body only needs a small amount of EFA's per day. The rest ingested is treated the same as any fat, yes Fish Oil does activate PPAR-Alpha, but that will not account for any serious weight loss. I believe that 40g -60g would perhaps put you in ketosis, and if not you would just be in hell. Not in ketosis but not far away would simply make you lethatgic as all hell.

so are you basically saying that a calorie is a calorie and it doesnt really matter what is comprised of?

so if you ate saturated fat and sugars all day but still got the desired amount of protein and remained in a calorie deficit you would still loose Fat?

Yes you would lose weight, for sure. Not going to say you will keep all muscle, but if there is an energy deficit, the body will meet the energy demands, energy just doesn't come from nowhere. I am most certainly not saying a calorie is a calorie though, not at all. Sat fats and sugars would certainly be a nice way to get fat stored but at the same time you will use some fat for energy if you need it. The point is we know this is unhealthy and a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Yes you would lose weight, for sure. Not going to say you will keep all muscle, but if there is an energy deficit, the body will meet the energy demands, energy just doesn't come from nowhere. I am most certainly not saying a calorie is a calorie though, not at all. Sat fats and sugars would certainly be a nice way to get fat stored but at the same time you will use some fat for energy if you need it. The point is we know this is unhealthy and a bad idea.

yeah your right there, i would never do that

this cutting cycle i have been on a very low carb diet and it has been really tough - i have lost weight, but have lost strength and so i presume some of the weight is muscle

on reflextion i think next time i cut i will keep my carbs higher while keeping in a cal deficit

Yes that would be wise. For some reason people get the idea that carbs are the bad guy. They are not, not even close. Obesity is linked to over consuming the wrong types of carbs and doing so over and over again, also in the presence of fat. Carbohydrates by nature are harder to store as adipose tissue than fat. In fact it is more energy costly for the body to do so. Which means that carbs are oxidized at a higher rate than fat. While on the other hand dietary fat is easily stored as body fat.

ok giantz i am begining to rethink my whole dieting strategy - that was my first cutter and while it went ok - it could have been better and at least i have learned from it

now i just need to lean bulk a bit before i even think of cutting again

Thread Information