Thread: fasting&cutting

tiger909 is offline Senior Member

fasting&cutting

month of fasting coming up for me...need to cut for wrestling also however...wondering since its commonly said that after an 8 hr fast (aka sleep leads to using fat for burn due to lack of glycogen). however i will be going through a 16-18 hr fast daily with 30 min circuit training between.does that mean that every movement i make will use fat for energy (majority wise ...predicting some catabolism)? also i will do 30 min cardio(swim or row) 5 times a week at 9pm...2 hours after fast broken....

p.s. dont care about mass, just strength. weight 190 at 14-16% bf. need to be 173 by december
    Last edited by tiger909; 10-04-2005 at 11:50 PM.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    why are you fasting? is it a religious thing?

if not then it sounds like a horrible idea

yeah

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    tiger i saw your other post and it seems to me there is no way around losing some muscle and maybe even gaining fat (unless you DONT gorge yourself after sundown). i dont know how many calories you require in a day, but i would eat sensible portions after 7pm (or whenever) and not try and make up for all your cals in one or two meals. your metabolism is gonna slow down significantly...so you wont require as many calories.

im guessing this isn't your first ramadan...? what did your diet look like during previous years? how did your body respond?

gained decent strength, weight stayed constant had high carb/high pro breakfast at 5 am daily though. that wiped out the zero glycogen factor in those years but this year im going w/o breakfast, trying to experiment with running on fat reserves all day long instead of early breakfast carbs.

keep in mind that my main goal is weight loss
    majority fat of course but willing to sacrifice some muscle mass if needed
    strength needs to stay constant however so i will be doing daily circuit training

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger909
    yeah

oh i see
    fair enough

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    gained decent strength, weight stayed constant had high carb/high pro breakfast at 5 am daily though. that wiped out the zero glycogen factor in those years but this year im going w/o breakfast, trying to experiment with running on fat reserves all day long instead of early breakfast carbs.

strength needs to stay constant however so i will be doing daily circuit training
    i wouldnt go that long without eating...u will lose a ton of muscle. have you thought about a pro/fat meal for breakfast?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member

You will never run on fat the whole day unless you are in ketosis. The body does not work like that. Early morning carbs are your best best, because glycogen will be low and by mid day will most certainly be gone and at that point you can expect a very signifigant rise in glucagon and cortisol, which means by by muscles. Eat a very carb heavy breakfast, then try to get a few carb meals in after fasting then you can do pro/fat before bed.

Thread Information