Thread: Fruits???

redmango is offline Junior Member

Fruits???

I was just wanting to know what everyones opinion on eating fruits while cutting. how much should i get if any???

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont really eat fruit while cutting but thats just me.

KingJames23 is offline Associate Member
    Some fruits like grapfruit are like 25 on the GI scale

redmango is offline Junior Member
    what about bananas, grapes, apples, and oranges???

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    i would save it for PWO if you have to have it

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    grapefruits and strawbeeries are ok in my book

bolin is offline Associate Member
    This is something that really bugs me out!!!!!! cause I was talking to a 65 year old man that was a competitive bodybuilder and competed with arnold in Mr Universe. He told me what they used to eat... like:
    20eggs (yolks included)
    milk (full fat)
    fruits

At the gym he used to mix 4 bananas with 8 eggs and milk..... and take it while doing his work out... He told me that he took lots of fruit like bananas oranges grapefruit apples........... I even have an old book (Joe Weider's - The Weider's Approach) and the diet that he lists has fruits included in it!!

The twist is that he never took AAS.... and he was cut as hell...(taking fruit and shit) so i dont think that taking 3 pieces of fruit is a dead toll....... especially if you are aided with AAS like T3 OR CLEN .....

When I cut I only take 1 banana after my work out.... because everywere I read everyone states that fruits are a NO NO..... but then how did these guys do it?!?!

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    i used to stay clear of fruit during cutting and bulking cos i always thought, well its sugar isnt it?

well i was wrong cos fructose is acually Low GI, and if you combine fruit with protein the GI will be even lower - now i like to get a couple of pieces of fruit a day when cutting and even more when bulking

some fruit is high GI though, such as pineapple and melon

fruit in the morning is good as your liver glycogen is depleted, and fruit replenishes it

and of course they are full of vits, minerals, fibre and are what nature intended us to eat

i love adding blueberries and a banana to my oats/white/whey in the morning

so you only take fruits in the morning then? I take an apple at breakfast and a banana post work out... but I wish to take more... I really like fruits.... When I snack I snack on them or a pro bar

Quote Originally Posted by bolin
    so you only take fruits in the morning then? I take an apple at breakfast and a banana post work out... but I wish to take more... I really like fruits.... When I snack I snack on them or a pro bar

no not necessarily

always in the morning, but sometimes during the day i may nibble on a bit of fruit when i'm waiting for my rice and chicken to cook

eating a small amount of fruit with water before your meal really helps digest your main meal

eazyduzit3 is offline Junior Member
    i have read that fruit is DEFINATELY a morning thing.. becuse of the whole FRUCTOSE thing. you have all day to burn it off(i read all this) and of course to replenish glycogen as stated above..G-force pretty much has the right idea

yeah.... I know that is what I read too......

The rule is:
    Fruit in the morning and PWO ONLY!!!

But as I said the old school guys didn't use that rule......and they still state that fruits are essential

Quote Originally Posted by bolin
    yeah.... I know that is what I read too......

The rule is:
    Fruit in the morning and PWO ONLY!!!

But as I said the old school guys didn't use that rule......and they still state that fruits are essential

fruit will do little to replenish glycogen PWO
    but saying that there is no harm in eating it PWO IMO

Pinkvelvet is offline Female Member
    From what I know here...a lot of competitors are limited to two or one fruit a day and thats off season.

When were cutting, fruit is totally cut from our diets. Some later than others.
    And, depending on opinion...some don't allow certain fruits; like pineapple.

I'm allowed two a day...even on cheat days...maximum two choice. Once I'm 18 or 16 weeks out...say good bye to fruit!

yep........ I take 3 fruits a day..... 1 apple, 1 banana and 1 orange......in off season

When I am cutting I only take 1 banana pwo and thats it...... but i crave food so much!!!!!!!

Well SACRIFICE is the name of the game!

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Couple peiced of fruit here and there shoule not make or break you. If you add in their cals there should not be a real problem.

yep.... so what are your comments on these old school bodybuilder that took all these food.... like 4 bananas with whole milk and 8 egg yolks... and about the weider book that talks about the importance of fruits....... I now that we know more about nutrition today but I mean these guys were huge and most of them with no AAS.

I think today we are a bit more advanced in terms of what we know about nutrition and how it works. But sometimes we get caught up in this dreaded word called "sugar" and then we cut out vital foods from out diets. Fruit is a great source of just about everything I can think of there is simply no negative and if you are cutting you can incorporate it for sure. There is no reason that you cannot have some, you just need to wokr in the calories for whatever you eat, its quite simple. On top of that most fruit is low Gi so it will have no negative impact on blood sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I think today we are a bit more advanced in terms of what we know about nutrition and how it works. But sometimes we get caught up in this dreaded word called "sugar" and then we cut out vital foods from out diets. Fruit is a great source of just about everything I can think of there is simply no negative and if you are cutting you can incorporate it for sure. There is no reason that you cannot have some, you just need to wokr in the calories for whatever you eat, its quite simple. On top of that most fruit is low Gi so it will have no negative impact on blood sugar.
    I absolutely agree..but, I do as my trainer suggests.

Before competition...I watched bodybuilders down loads of Pie filling.......to enhance to muscle on stage. Just confusing...is all!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkvelvet
    I absolutely agree..but, I do as my trainer suggests.

Before competition...I watched bodybuilders down loads of Pie filling.......to enhance to muscle on stage. Just confusing...is all!

I assume the were glycogen loading, but why Pie Filling?

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    It is tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I assume the were glycogen loading, but why Pie Filling?

Ya know...I'm not quite sure. Being in Figure...we load differently before show...so, when I saw one of the ladies backstage eating sometype of fruit..I asked what it was. She simply replied "Apple Pie Filling". And, than just proceeded to tell me that it filled out the muscles. I never did ask why pie filling specifically...mmm...perhaps I'll find out.

Hmmmmm, I mean anytype of sugar would do this. Wonder why she just didn't use dextrose or malto. Oh well.

she obviously just liked her pie

Thread Information