Unist...! is offline Junior Member

Food after cardio

Hi im currenly working very early in the morning so the only time i can do cardio is after weight training my question is... What type of food should i eat and how long shall i wait to eat it?? thanks

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    if your doing it after you lift, depending on your weight, you will need to down some whey along with some dex..

alo5603 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unist...!
    Hi im currenly working very early in the morning so the only time i can do cardio is after weight training my question is... What type of food should i eat and how long shall i wait to eat it?? thanks
    bro, IMO, you need to find a way to do cardio on another time. Maybe on your off days from the weights. Post workout is really not the way to go, thats when you need to worry more about PWO nutrition. Take advantage of that time right.... you will be thankful in the future.

alo

Austex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alo5603
    bro, IMO, you need to find a way to do cardio on another time. Maybe on your off days from the weights. Post workout is really not the way to go, thats when you need to worry more about PWO nutrition. Take advantage of that time right.... you will be thankful in the future.

alo
    Ditto that. Keep your diet under control and forget about cardio for now...or just get it in whenever you can, even if it's once per week.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    i dont see anything wrong with small amounts of cardio (30mins) after your workout

your muscles will be depleted of glycogen from the weights so your body will be turning to fat stores for energy during the cardio (the same as in the morning) i wouldnt over do it though - and have a whey/dex shake afterwards (as soon as you can)

and a some complex carbs with protein about an hour after that

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    i have to do cardio after weights 2 out of my 6 days. should i just do one or the other? i thought it was better to do cardio after wieghts cuz (like G said) the glycogen stores are empty...but does this affect the recovery of the muscles you worked out with weights? what if you had a straight whey shake (no dex) after weights, then did cardio, then had a whey/dex shake after cardio. would this help?

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    i have to do cardio after weights 2 out of my 6 days. should i just do one or the other? i thought it was better to do cardio after wieghts cuz (like G said) the glycogen stores are empty...but does this affect the recovery of the muscles you worked out with weights? what if you had a straight whey shake (no dex) after weights, then did cardio, then had a whey/dex shake after cardio. would this help?

erm... i cant answer that
    where's giantz...?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    I do cardio after weights as well after lifting primarily smaller muscle groups. Weight Training puts you in a state much like you are in in the AM. On top of that WT releases large amount of FFA's into the bloostream which cradio afterwards is perfect for oxidizing them! As a whole to many people put to much emphasis on catabolism PWO. If you follow the proper Pre Workout nutrition you should not be catabolic, on top of the hormonal response to WT is anti-catabolic in nautre. You secret a large amount of GH which has anti-catabolic properties. Would I do it after training legs, no but after smalledr muscle groups, Arms, shoulders....It's not a problem.

TEXAS is offline Junior Member
    I guess cardio should be done @ a different time !

muscles need nutrition after the training.. and to get red of your BF, cardio must be done on an empty stomach , so you encourage the body to utilize the fat to be used !!

other wise, why you train your muscles? to feed 'm

Austex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I do cardio after weights as well after lifting primarily smaller muscle groups. Weight Training puts you in a state much like you are in in the AM. On top of that WT releases large amount of FFA's into the bloostream which cradio afterwards is perfect for oxidizing them! As a whole to many people put to much emphasis on catabolism PWO. If you follow the proper Pre Workout nutrition you should not be catabolic, on top of the hormonal response to WT is anti-catabolic in nautre. You secret a large amount of GH which has anti-catabolic properties. Would I do it after training legs, no but after smalledr muscle groups, Arms, shoulders....It's not a problem.
    Well said. I would typically encourage one to NOT do cardio after training...but like you said, I personally will do some light cardio on days when a smaller muscle group is being trained.

Unist...! is offline Junior Member
    So... after my weight training i can do cardio if a train smaller muscle groups
    and should take
    whey + dex... as soon as i finish cardio?
    and a pro/carb food and hour later?

Austex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unist...!
    So... after my weight training i can do cardio if a train smaller muscle groups
    and should take
    whey + dex... as soon as i finish cardio?
    and a pro/carb food and hour later?
    That would be correct. What Giantz was trying to say (at least in my interpretation) is that high-intensity weight training days (IE> days when extreme stress is put on the body to tear down a larg muscle group) should NOT be followed up with cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    makes sense. i eat a pro/fat meal before my normal PM workout (wieghts only), is this optimal? should i switch it to pro/carb on days i do weights + cardio?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    makes sense. i eat a pro/fat meal before my normal PM workout (wieghts only), is this optimal? should i switch it to pro/carb on days i do weights + cardio?

I think that a Pro/carb pre workout is optimal for a few reasons. One main reason is preventing catabolism, if your glycogen stores are filled up a bit pre workout then PWO catabolism should be an issue. another reason is pre workout nutrition could help promote anabolism to the same extent that PWO nutrition does, read:

Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise.

Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR.

Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA. [email protected]

The present study was designed to determine whether consumption of an oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement (EAC) before exercise results in a greater anabolic response than supplementation after resistance exercise. Six healthy human subjects participated in two trials in random order, PRE (EAC consumed immediately before exercise), and POST (EAC consumed immediately after exercise). A primed, continuous infusion of L-[ring-(2)H(5)]phenylalanine, femoral arteriovenous catheterization, and muscle biopsies from the vastus lateralis were used to determine phenylalanine concentrations, enrichments, and net uptake across the leg. Blood and muscle phenylalanine concentrations were increased by approximately 130% after drink consumption in both trials. Amino acid delivery to the leg was increased during exercise and remained elevated for the 2 h after exercise in both trials. Delivery of amino acids (amino acid concentration times blood flow) was significantly greater in PRE than in POST during the exercise bout and in the 1st h after exercise (P < 0.05). Total net phenylalanine uptake across the leg was greater (P = 0.0002) during PRE (209 +/- 42 mg) than during POST (81 +/- 19). Phenylalanine disappearance rate, an indicator of muscle protein synthesis from blood amino acids, increased after EAC consumption in both trials. These results indicate that the response of net muscle protein synthesis to consumption of an EAC solution immediately before resistance exercise is greater than that when the solution is consumed after exercise, primarily because of an increase in muscle protein synthesis as a result of increased delivery of amino acids to the leg.

good read...thanks...

Austex is offline Member
    Anyone read the article in this months issue of FLEX by (Dexter Jackson?) about not eating ANY (or as little possible) fats throughout the day until after the PPWO meal!? The statements were considering an after work (5 pm) workout. It "sounded" like a good article, but I'm not sure I agree with it. He concluded that the necessary fats one needs for the day can be achieved in the last meal/two meals of the day. I believe, considering the same conditions, a pro/fat meal mid-morning is important for proper fat metabolism and muscle cellular synthesis.

Thread Information