skribbble is offline Member

PPWO question need a quick answer! Cut diet too

IM currently cutting and my ppwo meal is usually chicken breast and a sweet potato or chicken breast and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal. So im getting about 40 grams of protein and 30 grams of carbs

Question - When do I eat ppwo? I know its after PWO but how long? Ive done a search and some people say to wait 2 hrs but other people say to wait an hour. Can someone tell me how long to wait after pwo shake to have my ppwo meal? Thanks

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    well hour and a half is your answer i go with bout an hour to hour and half

Thanks so much!

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    i say wait til your hungry...let your body decide when it needs to eat, not you...thats the rule i like to go by. usually its about an hour and a half and you can feel your muscles aching for more food.

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    i say wait til your hungry...let your body decide when it needs to eat, not you...thats the rule i like to go by. usually its about an hour and a half and you can feel your muscles aching for more food.
    I disagree with that, I think that when your hungry its too late, just like when you get thirsty your already dehydrated. Get in down within 2 hours and your fine.

Austex is offline Member
    One hour after you've finished with PWO shake. I drink my PWO shake, drink 2 glasses of water for the next 10 minutes to re-hydrate my body, then start cooking the PPWO meal. I'm almost starving by the time one hour rolls around. For added benefits, try taking R-ALA or similar nutrient partioning agent approximately 20 minutes after PWO shake (about 30 minutes before PPWO).

what does R-ALA do? I heard of it but never looked into it.

Austex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skribbble
    what does R-ALA do? I heard of it but never looked into it.
    From a bodybuilding standpoint:

Except immediately following your workout, the carbs you eat cause an insulin spike. Using r-ALA, you can channel more of the glucose to the muscle cells instead of the fat cells gaining more lean muscle mass without a concurrent gain in body fat.

Of particular interest to the bodybuilder is the fact that r-ALA enables the muscles to increase the amount of glucose that they absorb from the blood stream by increasing the number of glut-4transporters on the out-side of the myocites (muscle-cells) by almost 50%. By forcing the glucose and nutrients into both the MUSCLE-cells and the fat-cells, one can use ALA as a nutrient-partitioning agent.

The net result is an increased muscle-gain over the long run with a smaller fat-gain. To give you a quantitative idea, if a person gains 10lbsmuscle and 10lbs fat in a bulking cycle w/o ALA. He/she is likely to gain around 14lbs muscle and 6 lbs fat if he/she would have taken ALA.

...R-ALA has many other beneficial factors as well...including anit-aging, liver protection, etc.

Austex is offline Member
    R-ALA is an R-isomer to ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid), meaning the arrangement of atoms is different than that of ALA. R-ALA is said to be 3x as effective than ALA.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    it is said that you should supplement with biotin when using R-ALA as it depletes your body's stores of biotin

but does anyone know how much you need to supplement with?

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    biotin comes in 200, 300, 600mcg caps at gnc. i got the 300mcg ones because the RDA is 100% on those. I just take one of those for every 200mg R-ALA. I dont know for sure. I'd be interested in finding out exactly how much too. Im prolly wasting my money!

the ones i have are 1000ug's

or something - what the hell does that mean? - is that the same as 100mcg do you think?

i dont understand these units

Austex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    the ones i have are 1000ug's

or something - what the hell does that mean? - is that the same as 100mcg do you think?

i dont understand these units
    UG stands for micrograms...same thing as mcg.

raychell is offline New Member

APPLES (Granny smith)

Ive used apples postworkout during my cutting phase with good results im thinking about switching to oatmeal during this phase. any thoughts on this. (Better Idea?)

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by raychell
    Ive used apples postworkout during my cutting phase with good results im thinking about switching to oatmeal during this phase. any thoughts on this. (Better Idea?)

grimnlock is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    LOL

fructose does not replenish glycogen PWO
    try dextrose, maltodextrin, honey, and then some slow acting carbs an hour later

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member

Oats are fine, I use oats from time to time.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    fructose does not replenish glycogen PWO
    try dextrose, maltodextrin, honey, and then some slow acting carbs an hour later

Apples are primarily glucose not fructose. Also liver glycogen will be depleted as well so there's really no harm.

Also you may find this study interesting:

Carbohydrate nutrition before, during, and after exercise.

Costill DL.

The role of dietary carbohydrates (CHO) in the resynthesis of muscle and liver glycogen after prolonged, exhaustive exercise has been clearly demonstrated. The mechanisms responsible for optimal glycogen storage are linked to the activation of glycogen synthetase by depletion of glycogen and the subsequent intake of CHO. Although diets rich in CHO may increase the muscle glycogen stores and enhance endurance exercise performance when consumed in the days before the activity, they also increase the rate of CHO oxidation and the use of muscle glycogen. When consumed in the last hour before exercise, the insulin stimulated-uptake of glucose from blood often results in hypoglycemia, greater dependence on muscle glycogen, and an earlier onset of exhaustion than when no CHO is fed. Ingesting CHO during exercise appears to be of minimal value to performance except in events lasting 2 h or longer. The form of CHO (i.e., glucose, fructose, sucrose) ingested may produce different blood glucose and insulin responses, but the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis is about the same regardless of the structure.

Thread Information