kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member

Cutting diet questions.

First the stats...
    age=19
    height=5'10 1/2"
    weight=210
    lifting experience=a year and a month of serious lifting, but did 6 months of just circuit training before.

Okay 5th day into the cutting diet and man is it hot in here or is it just me? I heard that the body goes through some hormonal changes during a drastic change in diet and it always feels super hot everywhere I go. Its a huge relief not having to stuff my face all the time with endless amounts of oatmeal, pasta, and rice. I do cardio for 45 minutes 4 times a week. I currently supplement with 5 grams of Vitamin C, 800 I.U. of vitamin E, multivitamin, and I have ALA I just dont know when to use because people keep telling me different times to take it. I checked out the cutting diet up top but made a few changes so here it is.....

Breakfast-7 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup of oatmeal...5g of glutamine.
    Lunch-50 grams of whey and 2 tbsp of flax
    Preworkout meal-plenty of chicken and broccoli...5g of glutamine
    workout-drink 40 grams of whey during workout.
    Postworkout meal-50 grams of why and 86 grams of maltodextrin
    dinner-6 oz. of tuna fish and 1/2 cup of oatmeal or rice...5g of glutamine
    dinner #2-6 oz. of tuna fish and 2 tbsp of natural pb

now for the questions...
    Am I consuming enough flax?
    The reason I consume whey during workout is because the preworkout meal does not keep me full throughout workout and I feel starved...is this okay?
    Does this look like a good number of calories and meals?
    My body constantly feels stressed from not getting to eat that much and thats when my body temp. starts to rise...could this type of stress produce cortisol and make losing bodyfat even harder?

These are all the questions I have for right now and I would like to thank everyone ahead of time for any advice given.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    First the stats...
    age=19
    height=5'10 1/2"
    weight=210
    lifting experience=a year and a month of serious lifting, but did 6 months of just circuit training before.

Okay 5th day into the cutting diet and man is it hot in here or is it just me? I heard that the body goes through some hormonal changes during a drastic change in diet and it always feels super hot everywhere I go. Its a huge relief not having to stuff my face all the time with endless amounts of oatmeal, pasta, and rice. I do cardio for 45 minutes 4 times a week. I currently supplement with 5 grams of Vitamin C, 800 I.U. of vitamin E, multivitamin, and I have ALA I just dont know when to use because people keep telling me different times to take it. I checked out the cutting diet up top but made a few changes so here it is.....

Breakfast-7 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup of oatmeal...5g of glutamine.
    Lunch-50 grams of whey and 2 tbsp of flax
    Preworkout meal-plenty of chicken and broccoli...5g of glutamine
    workout-drink 40 grams of whey during workout.
    Postworkout meal-50 grams of why and 86 grams of maltodextrin
    dinner-6 oz. of tuna fish and 1/2 cup of oatmeal or rice...5g of glutamine
    dinner #2-6 oz. of tuna fish and 2 tbsp of natural pb

now for the questions...
    Am I consuming enough flax?
    The reason I consume whey during workout is because the preworkout meal does not keep me full throughout workout and I feel starved...is this okay?
    Does this look like a good number of calories and meals?
    My body constantly feels stressed from not getting to eat that much and thats when my body temp. starts to rise...could this type of stress produce cortisol and make losing bodyfat even harder?

These are all the questions I have for right now and I would like to thank everyone ahead of time for any advice given.
    Couple of things, you never listed the amount of cals. You can't jsut say a good amount of chicken you have to know what you are putting in, to a T. I'd drop the during the Workout shake and add a Pre workout meal preferably Pro/carb. You are taking plenty of Flax, you're fine. Other than that, everything looks ok, take your ALA with a Pro/carb pre workout. No need for ALA post workout.

plenty of chicken means about 8 oz. Lol. but i dont know if pro/carb prewokout is the way to go because im on a cutting diet and doing that would be 4 meals with carbs throughout the day and that just doesnt seem like a good idea. any other opinions?

Whatever you want man, just trying to help. You could always cut out a carb meal!

hey man i know you're trying to help and i appreciate all the advice...where could i cut out a carb meal? oh by the way sorry your giants couldnt beat my cowboys...hahaha

hey man i know you're trying to help and i appreciate all the advice...where could i cut out a carb meal? oh by the way sorry your giants couldnt beat my cowboys...hahaha

Laugh it up...Revenge will be had when you come to visit. I'd cut the Meal #1 carbs. And add a carb meal Pre workout. Look at the thread below this for why.

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    good advice so far...not knowing calories or anything, the only thing i would say is to lose the whole egg in meal one. but...since you might make it a pro/fat meal because of what giantz said (which makes sense) you could keep the whole egg and add natty p/b or something

does that glutamine do anything for you BTW? i can never remember to take it consistently enough to notice any effects from it, but everything I have heard says it is a waste of money and doesn't do anything. but it looks like you take a reasonable amount consistently so i was wondering if you noticed any results?

keeps my muscles nice and hard...i dont see how people can say it is a waste of money when it is proven to prevent muscle break down and conserve muscle, and just about every pro bodybuilder and magazine recommends supplementing it. if i can watch jay cutler's "ripped to shreds" dvd and see him take it then that is plenty good reason enough for me to want to take it.

i would like to thank giantz and xtinaunasty (your avatar is awesome) for yalls advice and i will try tomorrow with breakfast as a pro/fat meal and see how it makes me feel. sorry for not laying out the number of calories im too carb deprived to lay out everything and it up right now.

keeps my muscles nice and hard...i dont see how people can say it is a waste of money when it is proven to prevent muscle break down and conserve muscle, and just about every pro bodybuilder and magazine recommends supplementing it. if i can watch jay cutler's "ripped to shreds" dvd and see him take it then that is plenty good reason enough for me to want to take it.
    Glutamine is worh about this much

I can show you literally thousands of studies that show its worthless. Jay has some other "supplements" helping him out. He also takes Nitro-Tech and Cell-Tech too, don't expect to look like him by adding those to your suppplement arsenal.

he has no contracts with any supplement brand that makes glutamine therefore has no way of making any money by saying he takes glutamine unlike he does by taking nitrotech and celltech...i believe i am correct in saying this...i just read melvin anthony's article in muscular development and he said he was taking 40g's of glutamine a day while preparing for the olympia.
    Last edited by kaptainkeezy04; 10-17-2005 at 01:09 PM.

First off these Pro BB's are always in tune to what does what they just take what they think is good. We all know what they take other than your traditional supps are whats getting them the results. Second off I wouldn't just go out and buy Glutamine cause Melvin Anthony does. Dude do you get everything from the pro's. If I did that I'd be doing a 24 hour a bicep workout that I read in Flex and most liekly die because I'm not taking 1g of Test per day. A person eating large amounts of protein has no need for Glutamine, so I'm trying to help you out here and save you money.

J Appl Physiol 2002 Sep;93(3):813-22 Related Articles, Links

Exercise-induced immunodepression- plasma glutamine is not the link.

Hiscock N, Pedersen BK.

Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre and Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark.

The amino acid glutamine is known to be important for the function of some immune cells in vitro. It has been proposed that the decrease in plasma glutamine concentration in relation to catabolic conditions, including prolonged, exhaustive exercise, results in a lack of glutamine for these cells and may be responsible for the transient immunodepression commonly observed after acute, exhaustive exercise. It has been unclear, however, whether the magnitude of the observed decrease in plasma glutamine concentration would be great enough to compromise the function of immune cells. In fact, intracellular glutamine concentration may not be compromised when plasma levels are decreased postexercise. In addition, a number of recent intervention studies with glutamine feeding demonstrate that, although the plasma concentration of glutamine is kept constant during and after acute, strenuous exercise, glutamine supplementation does not abolish the postexercise decrease in in vitro cellular immunity, including low lymphocyte number, impaired lymphocyte proliferation, impaired natural killer and lymphokine-activated killer cell activity, as well as low production rate and concentration of salivary IgA. It is concluded that, although the glutamine hypothesis may explain immunodepression related to other stressful conditions such as trauma and burn, plasma glutamine concentration is not likely to play a mechanistic role in exercise-induced immunodepression.

Effect of glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults.

Candow DG, Chilibeck PD, Burke DG, Davison KS, Smith-Palmer T.

College of Kinesiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada.

The purpose of this study was to assess the effect of oral glutamine supplementation combined with resistance training in young adults. A group of 31 subjects, aged 18-24 years, were randomly allocated to groups (double blind) to receive either glutamine (0.9 g x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 17) or a placebo (0.9 g maltodextrin x kg lean tissue mass(-1) x day(-1); n = 14 during 6 weeks of total body resistance training. Exercises were performed for four to five sets of 6-12 repetitions at intensities ranging from 60% to 90% 1 repetition maximum (1 RM). Before and after training, measurements were taken of 1 RM squat and bench press strength, peak knee extension torque (using an isokinetic dynamometer), lean tissue mass (dual energy X-ray absorptiometry) and muscle protein degradation (urinary 3-methylhistidine by high performance liquid chromatography). Repeated measures ANOVA showed that strength, torque, lean tissue mass and 3-methylhistidine increased with training (P < 0.05), with no significant difference between groups. Both groups increased their 1 RM squat by approximately 30% and 1 RM bench press by approximately 14%. The glutamine group showed increases of 6% for knee extension torque, 2% for lean tissue mass and 41% for urinary levels of 3-methylhistidine. The placebo group increased knee extension torque by 5%, lean tissue mass by 1.7% and 3-methylhistidine by 56%. We conclude that glutamine supplementation during resistance training has no significant effect on muscle performance, body composition or muscle protein degradation in young healthy adults.

J Strength Cond Res 2002 Feb;16(1):157-60
    The effects of high-dose glutamine ingestion on weightlifting performance

Antonio J, Sanders MS, Kalman D, Woodgate D, Street C.

Sports Science Laboratory, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware 19716, USA.

The purpose of this study was to determine if high-dose glutamine ingestion affected weightlifting performance. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study, 6 resistance-trained men (mean +/- SE: age, 21.5 +/- 0.3 years; weight, 76.5 +/- 2.8 kg(-1)) performed weightlifting exercises after the ingestion of glutamine or glycine (0.3 g x kg(-1)) mixed with calorie-free fruit juice or placebo (calorie-free fruit juice only). Each subject underwent each of the 3 treatments in a randomized order. One hour after ingestion, subjects performed 4 total sets of exercise to momentary muscular failure (2 sets of leg presses at 200% of body weight, 2 sets of bench presses at 100% of body weight). There were no differences in the average number of maximal repetitions performed in the leg press or bench press exercises among the 3 groups. These data indicate that the short-term ingestion of glutamine does not enhance weightlifting performance in resistance-trained men.

Metabolism 2000 Dec;49(12):1555-60 Related Articles, Links

Intravenous glutamine does not stimulate mixed muscle protein synthesis in healthy young men and women.

Zachwieja JJ, Witt TL, Yarasheski KE.

Exercise and Nutrition Program, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA.

We investigated the effects of a glutamine-supplemented amino acid mixture on vastus lateralis muscle protein synthesis rate in healthy young men and women. Three men and 3 women (27.8 +/- 2.0 yr, 22.2 +/- 1.0 body mass index [BMI], 56.1 +/- 4.5 kg lean body mass [LBM]) received a 14-hour primed, constant intravenous infusion of L[1-13C]leucine to evaluate the fractional rate of mixed muscle protein synthesis. In addition to tracer administration, a clinically relevant amino acid mixture supplemented with either glutamine or glycine in amounts isonitrogenous to glutamine, was infused. Amino acid mixtures were infused on separate occasions in random order at a rate of 0.04 g/kg/h (glutamine at approximately 0.01 g/kg/h) with at least 2 weeks between treatment. For 2 days before and on the day of an infusion, dietary intake was controlled so that each subject received 1.5 g protein/kg/d. Compared with our previous report in the postabsorptive state, amino acid infusion increased the fractional rate of mixed muscle protein synthesis by 48% (P < .05); however, the addition of glutamine to the amino acid mixture did not further elevate muscle protein synthesis rate (ie, 0.071% +/- 0.008%/h for amino acids + glutamine v 0.060% +/- 0.008%/h for amino acids + glycine; P = .316). Plasma glutamine concentrations were higher (P < .05) during the glutamine-supplemented infusion, but free intramuscular glutamine levels were not increased (P = .363). Both plasma and free intramuscular glycine levels were increased when extra glycine was included in the infused amino acid mixture (both P < .0001). We conclude that intravenous infusion of amino acids increases the fractional rate of mixed muscle protein synthesis, but addition of glutamine to the amino acid mixture does not further stimulate muscle protein synthesis rate in healthy young men and women.

lol hell no i dont go by those 24 hour bicep wokrouts haha and yes i hardly ever go by what the magazines say to do but cmon man glutamine lol. good info though.

Spend the money at Taco Bell on a nice Cheat day. You'll thank yourself!

mitch911 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Spend the money at Taco Bell on a nice Cheat day. You'll thank yourself!
    hahah i liek that advice...about the ALA after workout giantz u say there is no need..does that go with R-ala for pwo shake and ppwo aswell no need

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    listen to giantz he knows his shit.....
    and i have used glutamine everyday i dont see no improvement just used it
    "incase" it made a different

thats pretty much why i took it. now i have half a container of the sh*t left and i might as well take it till its done. still pissed i bought it...oh well

bignatt is offline Anabolic Member
    Youll want to get r-ala because ala can turn into toxins

Quote Originally Posted by bignatt
    Youll want to get r-ala because ala can turn into toxins
    Ummmm I thought that ALA removed toxins, heavy metals, and free radicals? this is true si?

Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    hahah i liek that advice...about the ALA after workout giantz u say there is no need..does that go with R-ala for pwo shake and ppwo aswell no need
    Exercise upregulates muscle Glut-4 expresion. Which is what R-ALA is supposed to do as well. So the need for it PWO is really not there.

Thread Information