KingMike is offline Associate Member

How can I tell if I get too much protein?

I have been eating 60 grams per meal 6 times a day from sources like whey, chicken and eggs and have no cramps or gas. I was eating 50 a meal and thought i would bump it up to see what happend. My muscles have been ALOT fuller since I upped the protein. Should I keep adding a few geams a meal until I get gassy? I know protein can turn to fat but if my body is untilzing what I am giving it, I am cool, right.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    the rule of thumb is about 2 grams per body pound so if you weight 180 you would want some thing like 360 per day, i my self avarage around 35g's a meal

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    My understanding is that the human body can only take in and process around 40 grams of protein at one time. I try not to exceed 50 grams in one sitting.

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    i wouldnt go above 50g

Lavinco is offline Anabolic Member
    i thought it was 1g protein per 1lb body weight? So is it 1 per or 2?

KingMike is offline Associate Member
    What are signs that you are gettng too much?

mitch911 is offline Member
    better to make sure your gettin enough then too little most do 2g to ensure enough..youl just piss it out if theres too much harder for excess pro to turn to fat just make sure ur drinking at least a gallon of h20

yeah but too much for too long will **** up your kidneys. use in moderation

SHRED is offline Senior Member
    I incorporate approx 50 in each meal.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    even if you get too much protein in there is no harm...
    it is not going to get stored to fat...
    protein will be the last thing to get stored as fat
    and most likely it wouldnt...

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavinco
    yeah but too much for too long will **** up your kidneys. use in moderation

mmmm not sure bruh that's a hotly debated issue do some searchs you'll be surprised on what you find

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i was up to 450 grams weighing in at 193 during my bulker ...at that much i started to add too much bodyfat...everyone is different so just experiment and document the changes your body goes thru.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    mmmm not sure bruh that's a hotly debated issue do some searchs you'll be surprised on what you find
    My doctor and dietition have both warned me about too much protein intake for periods of longer than 3 months at a time. They are my source for this information

jdh
    jdh is offline Associate Member
    the fact is dont always listen to what your doctor tells you when it comes to dieting for bodybuilding purposes. ive been working out regulary since i was 16, im now 24. and since i started working out at 16 ive always ate high protein. id say since then ive eaten anywhere from 35-58grams of protein per meal over the years. never had any kidney stones or any other bullcrap you here people talk about. and ive never taken a significant brake from it other then the 3 or 5 surgeries ive had. if your bulking eat 1.5-2 grams per pound you weigh. thats the standard, really no need to go over that.

Quote Originally Posted by jdh
    and ive never taken a significant brake from it other then the 3 or 5 surgeries ive had.
    kidney and liver transplants? "Doctor, why do I piss so much?"

jdh
    ha ha, no none were related the the liver or kidneys. shoulder a few times and appenidix

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i have been eating i high protein diet for the last 4 years consistently getting 1.5 - 2g per pound. I have also been drinking 1-2 gallons of water a day to flush out the kidneys....i have had no problems thus far and my Doc says im in perfect health.

decadbal is offline Banned
    2 is semi high.. i woudlnt go above 1.5 tops.. thats enough period, depending on your body, and its ability and how used to assimlating protein, is how much you can ingest.. beginners, no more than 40, some guys after a while can take more and utilize it. so depending on where you are as far as diet exp. your body can use more.. the rest will prolly just go down the toilet

gabriel595 is offline Associate Member
    2 grams per kilogram, that is 1 gram per lb when off cycle or natural, on cycle is 3-4 grams per kg, 1kg=2,2lb. too much protein is bad for your liver and kidneys i've heard

depends on if you are on roids or not doesnt it? ive heard that on a cycle your body can handle a lot more protein than being natural...atleast thats what charles glass said LoL. but i usually dont go above 1.5 grams per pound of body mass.

jdh
    i thinks it a bunch of shit when people say your body cant utilize more then 40g of protein or so per meal. that bull shit. your telling me a 285lb body buildier who obviously needs more protien then a 185lb body builder cant utilize more per meal then the 185lb guy? whatever. if that 285lb bodybuilder is eating 1.5g per pound he weighs and only takes in 40g per meal hes gonna need to eat about 12 meals a day to divide up that 420 something gram or protein a day he needs. i think that the bigger you get the more you can utilize. and using anabolics does increase the protein synthesis. so if your only taking in 1.5g per lb you weigh while on a cycle your not getting the full benefit of your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by jdh
    i thinks it a bunch of shit when people say your body cant utilize more then 40g of protein or so per meal. that bull shit. your telling me a 285lb body buildier who obviously needs more protien then a 185lb body builder cant utilize more per meal then the 185lb guy? whatever. if that 285lb bodybuilder is eating 1.5g per pound he weighs and only takes in 40g per meal hes gonna need to eat about 12 meals a day to divide up that 420 something gram or protein a day he needs. i think that the bigger you get the more you can utilize. and using anabolics does increase the protein synthesis. so if your only taking in 1.5g per lb you weigh while on a cycle your not getting the full benefit of your gear.

LOL man you just dont even know...when Jay cutler is in his off season look how many meals he eats a day...10-11...go on his website right now www.jaycutler.com ....one meal ON A CUTTING DIET included 20 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup of steel cut oats. now that my friend is a lot of protein.

jdh
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkeezy04
    LOL man you just dont even know...when Jay cutler is in his off season look how many meals he eats a day...10-11...go on his website right now www.jaycutler.com ....one meal ON A CUTTING DIET included 20 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 1 cup of steel cut oats. now that my friend is a lot of protein.
    im not saying that someone wouldnt eat that many meals, i myself eat 6 -8 a day. basically what i was trying to say is that a bigger body builder is going to eat more grams of protein per meal then someone a hundred pounds less. so when people say you can only ingest 40 grams per meal thats a joke. it depends on there persons individual protein needs. hence when you hit a plateau when you quit gaining muscle what do you do? you add calories.

Thread Information