Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dans is offline Junior Member

Post AM Cardio Pro/Fat or Pro/Carb?

I have my diet set up with all the proper macros and calories, I am just a bit confused on how to lay out my first two meals. I do my morning cardio upon waking at 7:45 am and go until 8:30am.

Is it better to have my Pro/Fat meal immediately after cardio @ 8:35am and then my Pro/Carb meal 2.5 hours later...

OR

Is it better to have my Pro/Carb meal at say 9am 30 minutes after my cardio and then have my Pro/Fat meal 2.5 hours later.

I have heard people say different things on this forum. Mainly saying not to eat carbs immediately post AM cardio because they blunt lyposys. Is this accurate? They say to wait at least 45 minutes for your pro/carb meal. Waiting is a pain in the ass for me because I am hungry as hell at that point. So I say just switch them and eat Pro/Fat immediately after the cardio. Am I losing anything by eating a Pro/Fat after AM cardio?
    Last edited by dans; 10-26-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    People say to not eat carbs post cardio because they will blunt lypolysis, however lypolysis is over emphasized when it comes to fat loss. Do your AM cardio, take a shower and eat whatever meal you would like.

dans is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Giantz,

Thats what I figured I was just making sure there was no specific reason one was better than the other. I really don't care which one I eat first, I just don't want to wait 45 minutes.

HollywoodM3 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dans
    I have my diet set up with all the proper macros and calories, I am just a bit confused on how to lay out my first two meals. I do my morning cardio upon waking at 7:45 am and go until 8:30am.

Is it better to have my Pro/Fat meal immediately after cardio @ 8:35am and then my Pro/Carb meal 2.5 hours later...

OR

Is it better to have my Pro/Carb meal at say 9am 30 minutes after my cardio and then have my Pro/Fat meal 2.5 hours later.

I have heard people say different things on this forum. Mainly saying not to eat carbs immediately post AM cardio because they blunt lyposys. Is this accurate? They say to wait at least 45 minutes for your pro/carb meal. Waiting is a pain in the ass for me because I am hungry as hell at that point. So I say just switch them and eat Pro/Fat immediately after the cardio. Am I losing anything by eating a Pro/Fat after AM cardio?
    drink whey pro and flax right after your cardio, then about 2hours later have a pro/carb meal.

do not eat carbs after your cardio, you will be wasting your time, as we want to take full effect of the EPOC that goes on after cardio is done.

chest6 is offline Banned
    hm i eat pro/carb after my cardio...it was set up here like that

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodM3
    drink whey pro and flax right after your cardio, then about 2hours later have a pro/carb meal.

do not eat carbs after your cardio, you will be wasting your time, as we want to take full effect of the EPOC that goes on after cardio is done.

EPOC from Low Intesnsity Cardio lasts 5min. It would not matter anyways if we were talking about EPOC because EPOC is gernerally high when doing high intensity exercise. Even in the presence of insulin , after high intensity exercise glycogen synthesis is the body's #1 priority, so FFA oxidation is elevated.

chest6 is offline Banned
    I guess I will wait 10-15 mins after my cardio to have my whey and oats tmr morning..seems like the general consensus to wait a lil while. I might start experiencing with a pro/fat afterwards and a pro/carb 2 hours later.
    Damn this thread hijacking..just didnt wanna start an identical thread

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    EPOC from Low Intesnsity Cardio lasts 5min. It would not matter anyways if we were talking about EPOC because EPOC is gernerally high when doing high intensity exercise. Even in the presence of insulin, after high intensity exercise glycogen synthesis is the body's #1 priority, so FFA oxidation is elevated.
    I agree and disagree, you want to take in pro/fat right after you cardio is done, Im not talking about low intensity cardio, b/c to loose weight, its a waste of time, you need to get in the target zone, or do a HIIT cardio. and if so the epoc will last more than 5mins. so eating pro/fat right after within 15mins will help keep the fat burning going, then about an hour or two later have some pro/carbs.

now this changes when talking about weight training, then there is a need to replenish glycogen post exercise. but i dont believe that was the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    hm i eat pro/carb after my cardio...it was set up here like that

doesnt mean that is the best thing to do, but if its working for you keep doing it.

if it was me, i would wake up, go do cardio, dring a pro/fat shake right after, drive home, take a shower and get ready, and then eat a pro/carb meal.

also, keep in mind, you havent eat anything all night, so i would want to go do cardio for an hour and then wait more to get some cal in, wich is why a pro/fat is a great choice.
    Last edited by HollywoodM3; 10-27-2005 at 08:56 AM.

I agree and disagree, you want to take in pro/fat right after you cardio is done, Im not talking about low intensity cardio, b/c to loose weight, its a waste of time, you need to get in the target zone, or do a HIIT cardio. and if so the epoc will last more than 5mins. so eating pro/fat right after within 15mins will help keep the fat burning going, then about an hour or two later have some pro/carbs.

now this changes when talking about weight training, then there is a need to replenish glycogen post exercise. but i dont believe that was the original question.

You do not need to do High Intensity cardio to lose weight. Low Intensity cardio shows a preference for using FFA's from adipose tissue as fuel. Esp. in the fasted state. You should never do HIIT cardio in the morning, far too catabolic, keep the intensity low, max hear rate right around 65% and you will be using fats as fuels.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    hows that calculated again for 65% of max heart rate?

fack.

chest6 is offline Banned
    man if i did hiit on an empty stomach muscle would be falling right off me..i had a hard enough time keeping muscle last time i cutted doing this..but this time my diet is much better

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    You do not need to do High Intensity cardio to lose weight. Low Intensity cardio shows a preference for using FFA's from adipose tissue as fuel. Esp. in the fasted state. You should never do HIIT cardio in the morning, far too catabolic, keep the intensity low, max hear rate right around 65% and you will be using fats as fuels.
    agreed ,but I think that if you wait 3 hours after ur last pro/fat meal and do HIT cardio u will burn alot more calories than doing LIC, but Im still not 8% and not sure of the method that works 100% so take my words with a grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    agreed ,but I think that if you wait 3 hours after ur last pro/fat meal and do HIT cardio u will burn alot more calories than doing LIC, but Im still not 8% and not sure of the method that works 100% so take my words with a grain of salt

You will burn more cals for sure. No doubt about that, but if you are weight training as well, then there's really no need. Since they are about the same thing in regards to your body hormonal response. Best to do both LIC as well as weights.

You will burn more cals for sure. No doubt about that, but if you are weight training as well, then there's really no need. Since they are about the same thing in regards to your body hormonal response. Best to do both LIC as well as weights.
    mmm i love you

jdh
    jdh is offline Associate Member
    actually theres no point in doing cardio with weight training period. its counterproductive. do your cardio first thing a.m. on empty stomach. get in about 3 to 4 meals before you weight train later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by jdh
    actually theres no point in doing cardio with weight training period. its counterproductive. do your cardio first thing a.m. on empty stomach. get in about 3 to 4 meals before you weight train later in the day.

Curious to see why its counter productive. I find that it is very productive.

With the exception that you do it only after smaller body parts.

jdh
    well first off if your gonna do cardio after weight training your depriving your body of getting in your pwo drink. once you go straight into cardio without your pwo your putting your body into a catabolic state, thats pretty counterproductive. lets say then after you finish cardio you go ahead and take in your pwo well then that negates the effect of cardio because you are blunting lypolisis. i wish i could give you a study or something to back that up but i dont have one off hand. i do remember seeing a post by swolecat a while back somewhere with a better explanation. maybe he can comment on this.

well first off if your gonna do cardio after weight training your depriving your body of getting in your pwo drink. once you go straight into cardio without your pwo your putting your body into a catabolic state, thats pretty counterproductive. lets say then after you finish cardio you go ahead and take in your pwo well then that negates the effect of cardio because you are blunting lypolisis. i wish i could give you a study or something to back that up but i dont have one off hand. i do remember seeing a post by swolecat a while back somewhere with a better explanation. maybe he can comment on this.

Well there is no such study. Fist off after weight training you have a large release of GH, which by nature is anti-catbolic. This release lasts for up to 60min after working out. You should not be "that" catabolic either after working if you follow proper pre-workout nutrition. Weight training releases large amounts of FFA's into the blood stream, which makes cardio a perfect time to oxidize them. However like I said I would certainly not do it after a hard chest and back day.

Glycogen synthesis is the bodies #1 priority after weight training, so it doesn't matter if you consume carbs are elevate insuling your bosy will use them to create glycogen while oxizing fat, its called homeostasis, your body runs on it. You do glycogen dependant work, you rbody will compensate by using fat for fuel afterwards. Your body will always strive for balance. I'll post a few studies later on that show that FFA oxidation remains elevated even in the presence of insulin , post workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    hows that calculated again for 65% of max heart rate?

fack.

yah.

220 minus your age * ... ..FACK!

jdh
    should have know youd come back with one of your "study" replies. and how do you know there is no such study backing what i have said? are you a walking medical book? or do you just think you are? id love to see you post some pics so i can see if you put all these "studies" you reference into action to create a world class physique, which you must have if you know that much.

should have know youd come back with one of your "study" replies. and how do you know there is no such study backing what i have said? are you a walking medical book? or do you just think you are? id love to see you post some pics so i can see if you put all these "studies" you reference into action to create a world class physique, which you must have if you know that much.

well, hes not walking...more crawling considering he's in doggy style position all the time.

and he does have a world class physique/anus....since you were wondering.

220 minus age * ....FACK!!!

so now we're back to , Im bigger therefore i must know better

you do know that even jay cutler and ronnie both have trainers , Im not saying Giantz11 is small , I havent seen his pics but even if he is smaller than you (i doubt it) still doesnt make u any smarter

Wow, that's funyn. You sit there regurgatate everyone else's posts. Saying "Gee I don't know, maybe Swole will answer". So if you don't know and you don't have any proof, how are you qualified to answer. I love people that make comments but yet have nothing to back them up. You can't back up a damn thing you said with a shred of evidence, and now you blame me for doing so. If you can find anything go ahead, find it. Your answers are comical, you provied nothing at all.

And with you last comment you just showed us your Brotelligence. Since when does ones physique display their knowledge. I know 10 guys off the top of my head that are jacked and eat like shit. Do they know more than me??? I don't think so, genetics, it can do wonders. I'll have pics up when I'm done cutting so don't you go worry about me. You should just worry about yourself and your lack of knowledge, take some time to learn this shit then maybe we can have an intelligent conversation. Never heard anyone attack somebody cause they provided proof.

220 minus age *

I hate this board....

Quote Originally Posted by Dally
    220 minus age *

I hate this board....

bro I will help you out,

220 minus your age

time .65 and .85, give you your low number and high, stay in that range...

bro I will help you out,

220 minus your age

time .65 and .85, give you your low number and high, stay in that range...
    Dally just hasn't gotten his anal in today. Give him a break

Dally just hasn't gotten his anal in today. Give him a break

Thanks M3

and call me G...I miss that azzz.

mmmm mmmm guud!

Now if you re-read what i said, I didnt say you have to do high intensity, but i did say you should be in your target HR range.

and yes you can do HIIT in the morning, if your worried about it being too catabolic dink a protein shake before. no big deal. You want to keep the heart rate about 65% and below 85%. I would really only use the HIIT after a weigh session. first thing in the morning i like to stick with bike,treadmill.

You can also do cardio after weigh training, not sure if you agreed with that, but if you did, then i agree with you there. I would just keep it to a max of 30mins.

Now if you re-read what i said, I didnt say you have to do high intensity, but i did say you should be in your target HR range.

and yes you can do HIIT in the morning, if your worried about it being too catabolic dink a protein shake before. no big deal. You want to keep the heart rate about 65% and below 85%.

You can also do cardio after weigh training, not sure if you agreed with that, but if you did, then i agree with you there. I would just keep it to a max of 30mins.
    Exactly, keep it to about 30min.

However on the issue of HIIT in the AM that's very catabolic without the proper meal. HIIT training is dependant on glycogen for fuel, since it is High Intensity much like weight training. When you wake up in the AM you are pretty much glycogen depleted, as your stores have been used during the night's sleep.

Doing HIIT cardio in this state would lead to muscle loss because you have no glycogen so you will use Amino's, via Gluconeogenesis for fuel. Not somehting you want at all.

Exactly, keep it to about 30min.

However on the issue of HIIT in the AM that's very catabolic without the proper meal. HIIT training is dependant on glycogen for fuel, since it is High Intensity much like weight training. When you wake up in the AM you are pretty much glycogen depleted, as your stores have been used during the night's sleep.

Doing HIIT cardio in this state would lead to muscle loss because you have no glycogen so you will use Amino's, via Gluconeogenesis for fuel. Not somehting you want at all.

I can see that point, and agree. plus first thing in the morning, im really not up for anything High intensity..lol.

I can see that point, and agree. plus first thing in the morning, im really not up for anything High intensity..lol.
    Lol, I barely have a heart rate

jdh
    ha ha , so what makes you so qualified to give people what you consider the "right" answer? what just because you have all these ridiculous studies you post ? as far as im concerned nobody on here is qualified to give advice which they say is "right". unless you have a phd dont claim that what you say is what is true. and dont try telling everyone else they are wrong because they dont have a study to back it. i think experience is the only way to find out what is true or not., and even then it differs from person to person. the only reason im lashing back out at you is because you always step on everyone else with your damn "studies" that you post and say"here, here is a study , im right . just because i have a study , im right." get ****ed. give some people some credit who have put years of reading and personal experiences in what they post. i never claim to be the absolute authority on what i post. if you dont agree , leave it at that.dont ridicule everyone else just say hey"whatever works for you, but this works for me."

ha ha , so what makes you so qualified to give people what you consider the "right" answer? what just because you have all these ridiculous studies you post ? as far as im concerned nobody on here is qualified to give advice which they say is "right". unless you have a phd dont claim that what you say is what is true. and dont try telling everyone else they are wrong because they dont have a study to back it. i think experience is the only way to find out what is true or not., and even then it differs from person to person. the only reason im lashing back out at you is because you always step on everyone else with your damn "studies" that you post and say"here, here is a study , im right . just because i have a study , im right." get ****ed. give some people some credit who have put years of reading and personal experiences in what they post. i never claim to be the absolute authority on what i post. if you dont agree , leave it at that.dont ridicule everyone else just say hey"whatever works for you, but this works for me."
    I didnt see him pointing a gun at some1 and telling them if u dont do this ill kill you

seriously ur a total idiot , If u dont like what he's saying just ignore it

and check the attitude if u wanna last here a bit longer

It doesn't matter about qualifications. If you and I are both unqualified (which will be assumed), and you give no proof to back up your statements and I do. The I guess that makes my adive a bit more qualified. At least there is some tangible evidence one way or another.

All I asked you to do was tell me why you thought, cardio after weights was bad. You brought up not having a study. So obvisouly you think that a study would show something. You gave me your reasoning and I answered as to why that is not exactly true, and that cardio can be done after weights.

jdh
    i made the study comment because i knew that was the first thing you would say, because thats the first thing you always reply with to anybody.

chest6 is offline Banned
    damn heartrate thing on the machines..today it read the following: 64, 0, 265, 117, 43. Once it said 136 so i figured thats about where I was at..

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    damn heartrate thing on the machines..today it read the following: 64, 0, 265, 117, 43. Once it said 136 so i figured thats about where I was at..
    save up and get a HR monitor...you can get them cheap on ebay.

Giantz...all im doing is going to school till the end of the year so i can split up my workouts no prob. but my roommate has to be at work at 8am and gets off at 4pm...then she lifts and does 45-60mins LISS. I have tried to tell her she needs to bite it and wake up early to do her cardio, but she is really not a morning person (which i understand because im not either). do you think she should just do 30mins after weights? will that stall her weight loss? she does cardio 6x a week.

Quote Originally Posted by xtinaunasty
    save up and get a HR monitor...you can get them cheap on ebay.

Giantz...all im doing is going to school till the end of the year so i can split up my workouts no prob. but my roommate has to be at work at 8am and gets off at 4pm...then she lifts and does 45-60mins LISS. I have tried to tell her she needs to bite it and wake up early to do her cardio, but she is really not a morning person (which i understand because im not either). do you think she should just do 30mins after weights? will that stall her weight loss? she does cardio 6x a week.

Yeah 30 min after weights will be good. She doesn't lift 6X per week does she? Hopefully she gets morning cardio done on the Weekends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information