Girlyman is offline Associate Member

Insulin spikes = acne?

Well I've been doing some research on nutrition latley to battle acne. Now I don't have bad acne whatsoever but I'm 22 years old and I'm fed up with not having nice skin. I read that eating sugar spikes your insulin , insulin triggers IGF-1, IGF-1 triggers androgens, Androgens = more sebum, more sebum= more chances of clogged pores. Or something very similar to that. Does that mean spiking insulin can help body building? I dont know what androgens are but they sound like something pretty anabolic .

I also read somewhere they eating lots of insoluble fiber with your carb meals negates a lot of the insulin spiking. Therefore would it be bad to mix your carb/pro meals with dietary fiber?

I'm trying a diet to reduce acne, pretty much no refined sugar and only eating carbs if they are higher in dietary fiber.

Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    -Insulin is used in BBING (Im running it)

-no its not bad to mix ur carbs with fiber

-there is some proof that insulin spikes might increase acne

-simple table sugar does NOT increase natural test levels

Girlyman is offline Associate Member
    So you don't think a candy bar leads to increased hormone levels? I mean it's no big deal but I have so many differetn diets going right now because I am allergic to something which I can't figure out so I avoid alot of common allergens until my tests on the 31st of Oct. Even on cheat day I avoid all sugar and throughout the week because I dont wanna break out, I just wanna be able to indulge on a cheat meal without worrying about being a pizza face later in the week

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    So you don't think a candy bar leads to increased hormone levels? I mean it's no big deal but I have so many differetn diets going right now because I am allergic to something which I can't figure out so I avoid alot of common allergens until my tests on the 31st of Oct. Even on cheat day I avoid all sugar and throughout the week because I dont wanna break out, I just wanna be able to indulge on a cheat meal without worrying about being a pizza face later in the week
    leads to increased insulin , and leptin (i think) , thyroid , the only thing im 100% sure of is the insulin..

just keep ur carbs mod/low GI through out the day , and high/mod pwo(depending on what works better for ya)...save the candy bars for the cheat day

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    The only way Insulin would affect T levels is by binding to SHBG which will in turn increase the amount of free Test one has. However this would be more prevailent with somone who keeps insulin stable and elevated during the day, not sure if spiking it here and there would be enough.

Yet another reason insulin is not the enemy eveyone has made it out to be.

Thread Information