swizole is offline Associate Member

low carb while bulking?

One of my friends uses this method while bulking. He eats an anormous amout of chicken, steak, pork, any kind of high protien meat he wants. He eats a lot of green vegetables also. The only carbs he touches is some whole wheat bread in the morning and a bananna with a protien shake when he gets down workin out. His results are pretty amazing. He is vascular as hell and HUGE. he does use steriods though. Has anyone else heard of low carb while bulking?

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    nope , I find it impossible to bulk , cut or maintain on low carb

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by swizole
    One of my friends uses this method while bulking. He eats an anormous amout of chicken, steak, pork, any kind of high protien meat he wants. He eats a lot of green vegetables also. The only carbs he touches is some whole wheat bread in the morning and a bananna with a protien shake when he gets down workin out. His results are pretty amazing. He is vascular as hell and HUGE. he does use steriods though. Has anyone else heard of low carb while bulking?
    It depends what carbs you eat. So many carbs are high GI it's hard to get the food in for bulking without eating them. I would avoid pork since its so high in saturated fat.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I bulk in similar fashion, using carbs only a.m. and 2 meals after workout. A banana would do nothing for me pwo though (or for anyone for that matter) as far as replinishing glycogen.

~SC~

**** all that, when its time to cut its time to cut, and when its time to eat I say eat big. What the hell else are you gonna eat on low carb, theres only so much protien and fat you need to grow. Carbs and calories are energy, period. I say, why not enjoy bulking up? It's your time out of the year to eat a little more leanient and get some serious gains. Take 2 people w/ the same stats and body types, let one eat whatever he wants during bulking season(within reason) and let one stay low carbs year round. Come contest time the guy who ate more in the off season will have more muscle and look better. There is a reason why most big time pro's look bloated and fat 3/4 out of the year.

mds
    mds is offline Associate Member
    I tried nothing but protien for awhile, I was tired all the time, Carbs are good for you as long as their good clean carbs

It's 3-4 cheat meals/wk for me when I'm bulking, at least. Sometimes after my workout I'll go eat a cheese cake and a protien shake for my PWO meal.

Jakspro is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    It's 3-4 cheat meals/wk for me when I'm bulking, at least. Sometimes after my workout I'll go eat a cheese cake and a protien shake for my PWO meal.

Seriously? And you still stay in the 12% BF range? -- With AAS or without?

I can easily maintain 12% @225lbs even eating more than 3-4 cheats/wk w/ no anabolics, easy, and I'm 5'9"

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    Take 2 people w/ the same stats and body types, let one eat whatever he wants during bulking season(within reason) and let one stay low carbs year round. Come contest time the guy who ate more in the off season will have more muscle and look better.
    Not so. I've seen this happen many times............

The one who ate more in the off-season also has to diet longer and harder to rid himself of all the excess fat, thus risking the loss of muscle that much more. The one who make more solid/permanent/lean mass gains doesn't have to diet that much or long at all, and finds it very easy to strip what little fat he has accrued.

As long as both are getting stronger and attaining lean muscle tissue (which is the focus of bulking up, it's not to get FAT), then I see no reason why you'd throw caution to the wind and eat whatever you wish only to make it that much harder on yourself later.
    ~SC~

mitch911 is offline Member
    yea when i bulk next time im gunna run the same deal with just breakfast and pwo and ppwo...do u find it hard to hit ur 500cal above maintenance with this limit tho

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Not so. I've seen this happen many times............

The one who ate more in the off-season also has to diet longer and harder to rid himself of all the excess fat, thus risking the loss of muscle that much more. The one who make more solid/permanent/lean mass gains doesn't have to diet that much or long at all, and finds it very easy to strip what little fat he has accrued.

As long as both are getting stronger and attaining lean muscle tissue (which is the focus of bulking up, it's not to get FAT), then I see no reason why you'd throw caution to the wind and eat whatever you wish only to make it that much harder on yourself later.
    ~SC~
    I understand where your coming from on this, but you say that there is more potential for muscle loss the longer you diet? What would it matter if your body is turning to stored fat for energy first? The guy who is say 14% bf is going to be burning excess fat before muscle if he diets right. What I'm saying is if you need to eat big to get an extra 10 lbs of muscle, if you knew you could lose that fat in 8-10 weeks it would onle be an advantage. Calories are energy, period. The more energy you have the stronger you are, the more you lift. Heavy weights build big muscles. So you mean to tell me that there are over 200 lb guys that are getting 5,6 and 7000 calories a day on only 150-200 grams of carbs/day. That would mean you'd be eating a total wasteful amount of fat and protien as your body wouldnt possibly need that much.

Swole, what is your fat gram intake during a bulking phase anyways? I mean your a pretty good sized guy, you'd have to be eating 6 or 7000 calories/day to bulk at the point your at I would think. Your getting 4 cals per gram from your protien and carbs. So lets say your doing 2 grams /lb on protien, thats around 2200 cals a day from protien if your around 270 lbs, then you figure low carb for you is around 150-200grams right? Based on 200 grams we are now at 3000 cals/day between protien(thats if its 2 grams/lb) and carbs. So you mean that a person such as yourself trying to bulk on low carb is going to get at least another 3000 calories/day on fat? Thats like akmost 350 grams in fat/day. Number one, I want to know if you ever go that high in fat, number 2, at the point your at can you really build on anything less than 6000/day??? If you can then I'm surprised bro.

xtinaunasty is offline Female Member
    6k a day...holy shiet!!! you guys kill me.

bolin is offline Associate Member
    I am getting a little mixed up here!!! I tought that on a bulk diet you have to have at least 300 - 350g carbs????

jdh
    jdh is offline Associate Member
    i would go with carbs while bulking. not only for pwo's but low gi carbs throughout the day. if you dont mix fats and carbs and eat the right types of foods you wont gain alot of fat. but if you do so what , it is called bulking for a reason right? cutting is a whole other area. i just came off a cutting diet where i was eating no carbs except until my two pwo's. i managed to maintain most of my muscle, but i tell you what now that im bulking and eating good carbs throught the day my muscles are much fuller and dense. no flat look from low carb.

bolin is offline Associate Member
    that is what I think.... I am lean bulking and I am taking about 350carbs from oats, fruit, rice, and from my weight gainer after my workout. I take about 3 fruits a day - grapes, apple, banana. I was going to replace another normal protein shake meal with a weight gainer (50pro, 80carbs, 5 fat, 600cals) but now that I have read this thread I am afraid of doing that!

Thread Information