Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Sugar for PWO

  1. #1
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390

    Sugar for PWO

    So my dextrose doesn't come in for another week or so...takin awhile. Ive got some sugar here and I was wondering if I could just use 80g of that. Im pretty sure I have seen on here that it can be done, but just trying to make sure.

  2. #2
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    bump...anyone im about to do it haha

  3. #3
    *Narkissos*'s Avatar
    *Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    16,357
    I've done it...with decent results

  4. #4
    jdh's Avatar
    jdh
    jdh is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    big denver, CO
    Posts
    400
    if your in a bind it shouldnt hurt. the point is to raise your insuline and sugar will do that , just not as quick as dextrose. one time i forgot mine so i stopped at the gas station after the gym and bot a shit load of sweet tarts. not the best thing but it worked. my teeth hurt like a bitch after ward though.

  5. #5
    *Narkissos*'s Avatar
    *Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    16,357
    Tho it isn't practised on the board...or generally accepted...i think sucrose is decent enough at glycogen replenishment.

    For some reason...when i used sucrose tho...i got mad water retention...and mad pumps

    I use dex exclusively now...since i use slin regularly

    But since you're seeking a short-term substitute til your dex arrives...i can't see why you couldn't be advised to use sucrose for now.

  6. #6
    cherokee6's Avatar
    cherokee6 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    wow....chest you are reading my mind...i just threw down near $200 on supplements...among them being Dex....and you you know how shipping goes....this Monday is D-day (the start of my new work out plan and my frist ever "strict-as-hell diet") so i am counting on everything being here...good question..and thx for the responses--

  7. #7
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    good stuff. Just finished cleaning up..thats messy as hell..tastes sweet too.

    haha the steroid commercial is on! Soo funny!

  8. #8
    *Narkissos*'s Avatar
    *Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    16,357
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    good stuff. Just finished cleaning up..thats messy as hell..tastes sweet too.

    haha the steroid commercial is on! Soo funny!
    i use my protein scoop so it it's accurate and not messy

    Sweet as hell tho.
    Tastes like liquid tooth-rot


  9. #9
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    ooooo nark is green congrats..

    i have no idea how many cups my protein scooper is..prolly like 1/5 or sumthin i dunno

  10. #10
    Raven8264's Avatar
    Raven8264 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    148
    Remember, Jay Cutler has a can of coke right after every workout

  11. #11
    *Narkissos*'s Avatar
    *Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Barbados
    Posts
    16,357
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    ooooo nark is green congrats..

    i have no idea how many cups my protein scooper is..prolly like 1/5 or sumthin i dunno
    thanks man.

    um.look at the protein bottle... it should have the gram-content of the scoop (e.g mine says 30 gr).

    mutiply that by .9 (i think that's how many grams of carbs are in in a gram of sugar) for the carb content of the scoop (30 gr x .9 gr = 27 gr of carb per scoop)

  12. #12
    Giantz11's Avatar
    Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,317
    Sugar is half Glucose half Fructose so it will be ok. Read this:

    Carbohydrate nutrition before, during, and after exercise.

    Costill DL.

    The role of dietary carbohydrates (CHO) in the resynthesis of muscle and liver glycogen after prolonged, exhaustive exercise has been clearly demonstrated. The mechanisms responsible for optimal glycogen storage are linked to the activation of glycogen synthetase by depletion of glycogen and the subsequent intake of CHO. Although diets rich in CHO may increase the muscle glycogen stores and enhance endurance exercise performance when consumed in the days before the activity, they also increase the rate of CHO oxidation and the use of muscle glycogen. When consumed in the last hour before exercise, the insulin stimulated-uptake of glucose from blood often results in hypoglycemia, greater dependence on muscle glycogen, and an earlier onset of exhaustion than when no CHO is fed. Ingesting CHO during exercise appears to be of minimal value to performance except in events lasting 2 h or longer. The form of CHO (i.e., glucose, fructose, sucrose) ingested may produce different blood glucose and insulin responses, but the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis is about the same regardless of the structure.

  13. #13
    chest6's Avatar
    chest6 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Sugar is half Glucose half Fructose so it will be ok. Read this:

    Carbohydrate nutrition before, during, and after exercise.

    Costill DL.

    The role of dietary carbohydrates (CHO) in the resynthesis of muscle and liver glycogen after prolonged, exhaustive exercise has been clearly demonstrated. The mechanisms responsible for optimal glycogen storage are linked to the activation of glycogen synthetase by depletion of glycogen and the subsequent intake of CHO. Although diets rich in CHO may increase the muscle glycogen stores and enhance endurance exercise performance when consumed in the days before the activity, they also increase the rate of CHO oxidation and the use of muscle glycogen. When consumed in the last hour before exercise, the insulin stimulated-uptake of glucose from blood often results in hypoglycemia, greater dependence on muscle glycogen, and an earlier onset of exhaustion than when no CHO is fed. Ingesting CHO during exercise appears to be of minimal value to performance except in events lasting 2 h or longer. The form of CHO (i.e., glucose, fructose, sucrose) ingested may produce different blood glucose and insulin responses, but the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis is about the same regardless of the structure.
    always full of info..the bold really is helpful. Thanks giantz

  14. #14
    Wilderbeast is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    thanks man.

    um.look at the protein bottle... it should have the gram-content of the scoop (e.g mine says 30 gr).

    mutiply that by .9 (i think that's how many grams of carbs are in in a gram of sugar) for the carb content of the scoop (30 gr x .9 gr = 27 gr of carb per scoop)
    No this is wrong. The density of protein powder is different to that of the carbs. Use a scales once to find out how much the scoop holds.

  15. #15
    mitch911 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    856
    i remember last halloween to get in on some treats (sugar ones not fat ones) i just had some pwo for the sake of saying i took part in halloween lol and didnt feel guilty at all

  16. #16
    Panzerfaust's Avatar
    Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    8,828
    Quote Originally Posted by jdh
    if your in a bind it shouldnt hurt. the point is to raise your insuline and sugar will do that , just not as quick as dextrose. one time i forgot mine so i stopped at the gas station after the gym and bot a shit load of sweet tarts. not the best thing but it worked. my teeth hurt like a bitch after ward though.
    I had to do this once, man that sucked ass sitting there chewing and chewing and chewing.

  17. #17
    GotMilk?'s Avatar
    GotMilk? is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    131
    Since an insulin spike is good after your workout. I drink 500ml of Gatorade and a N-large 2 shake... So does this mean I am allowed to eat candy and chocolate too ???? like that guy said he ate sweet tarts... If it is ...then im going to 7-11 after every workout and getting a slurpee too

  18. #18
    mitch911 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    856
    chocolate..no..too much fat will slow the protein delivery to the muscles..and i wouldnt make it a habbit of the candy or slurpee maybe once in a while to treat yourself mentally if thats what u want it for..but to be honest i prefer a blended 80gdex/ice/2scoops protein powder over any slurpee...it comes pretty close to a milkshake..

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •