*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member

Test your diet Knowledge...

Hey my friends...

No critique nor diet outline here.

The purpose of this thread?

Hm... educational perhaps?

Debate...definately.

I'll post a question...nutrition related...and i know my good bros here'll come up with an articulate, well-thought out reply. Hopefully the thread'll help noobs...and even us more experienced members learn something new

You can add your questions/hypotheses to the thread also.

Thanks in advance for you contribution

"Hi...i'm new to this bodybuilding thingey. I want to get huge and jacked while getting cut. What's the best diet/steroid for me? I'm 19...been working out balls-to-the-wall for six months now and i can't gain...I eat A LOT... but my weight hasn't budged.

Thanks a lot"

How would one go about addressing these questions?

What are the major concerns?

~Nark

"Hi...i'm looking to lose the pudge around the middle. I'm 5'5" and 180 lbs...about 15 % bodyfat. Been working out for the last 4 years...on and off. I'd like help with my diet thanks.

My diet:

Meal one (7am): coffee; toasted strudel; low-fat milk; cereal; fruit

Meal two (12 pm): spaghetti and meatballs; vegetable; juice

Meal three (3 pm): Nescafe+ cream; ham subway sandwich

Workout: 4 pm

Meal 5 (6 pm): protein shake (2 scoops protein + water)

I don't eat after 6 pm cus i heard that makes you fatter.

I go to bed at midnight.

THanks"

Discuss

~Nark

"Hi...i'm dieting for a photoshoot. Critique my diet

a.m. Cardio

Meal 1: protein shake (protein powder + water)

Meal 2: 1 can tuna

Meal 3: 1 chicken breast

Meal 4: 1 can tuna

Workout:

Meal 5: protein shake (protein + water)

Meal 6: (pre-bed meal) 1 can tuna

Will this diet get me ripped to shreds?>

By the way...i'm 5'10" 175 lbs at about 12% bodyfat

Thanks"

Discuss

~Nark

critique the above mentioned questions...and add you own synopses for others to critique

Thanks

~Nark

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    "Hi...i'm new to this bodybuilding thingey. I want to get huge and jacked while getting cut. What's the best diet/steroid for me? I'm 19...been working out balls-to-the-wall for six months now and i can't gain...I eat A LOT... but my weight hasn't budged.

Thanks a lot"

How would one go about addressing these questions?

What are the major concerns?

~Nark
    Nark , I thot you said you competed

1-Steroid use (needs to be addressed 1st thing to make sure he doesnt start)

2-Diet(probably eats rice chex and kfc)

3-training(probably no legs and chest and bi's ED)

4-rest(probably little to no rest and not enough sleep due to partying , drinking etc...)

"Welcome to AR, First of all what you need to do is forget about steroids right now, they do help..but they are not a magic pill and at 19 your testosterone levels are high(then id copy and paste baron's long post on why teens should wait), there are probably a couple of reasons why you are not gaining wait , Diet , over-training and lack of sleep.

what you need to do is focus on one goal which is to bulk or cut (you can gain a small amount of muscle while cutting , and lose a small amount of fat while bulking , but to do both at the same time is near impossible , what are your stats?(according to his stats I would advice either cutting or bulking depending on BF% , weight , and strength) then after that I would give h/her links to either the cutting or bulking sticky depending on which is more appropriate at the time) after you're done reading which never happens btw , post ur diet for critique and check out the training forum and post ur program there for critique , make sure you are getting @least 8 hours of sleep )

so did I get an A?

You get an A!

I'd've approached like you did.

1. No steroid . (explain why as you mentioned above...in your own words tho. A Baron post might go over a noob's head)

2. Diet. He's only been training 6 months...so if he's already hit a plateau it's most likely due to undereating as opposed to over training. Why i say this is because imo noobs can make progress over the first year...even if they're over-training by contemporary standards...and all the i have observed...HAVE...because 1.they've been piling in the food and 2. they were young 3. there bodies were bent on surviving by adapting.

3. Training. More emphasis on learning the major lifts..etc... and not trying to do too much too soon (i.e. too many exercises per body part.. advanced training techniques like supersets and negatives etc.)

4. rest.
    Last edited by *Narkissos*; 10-27-2005 at 08:07 AM.

Another:

"Hi my girlfriend needs help on gaining weight. She's 5'3" and 105 lbs. She wants me to get her on a bulking diet. She wants to hit up a weight gainer and other supps. I was gonna tell her to try the Prolab Nlarge cause i read the ad and it seemed pretty good.

On prob she is that she's at university all day..so she doesn't have much time for meal-planning.

I'd need some suggestions of some meals besides chicken or beef that she can take and heat up ...or have readily available. I would put her on a similar diet to mine but I have access to a kitchen all day. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks"

Discuss.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Congrats Nark.....Good Idea with the Q&A session. However I'm a little too lazy to play right now

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Congrats Nark.....Good Idea with the Q&A session. However I'm a little too lazy to play right now
    lol...thanks.

Holla when you get a chance

Another:

"I have never really supplimented with any essential fats...are they really that necessary?"

~Discuss

~Narkissos

Another: A female-based question:

"After training I thought it was essential to take in carbs.
    My friend who is training for a figure show and who is 6 weeks out told me she' not eating carbs after 1:00, even after a grueling leg workout is this okay? I'm thinking she is not replenishing glycogen levels depleted by weight training. Is this the way to go when you are trying to lose bodyfat and maintain muscle? or because of the show this is the way to go about it?"

~Discuss

Another:

"I have never really supplimented with any essential fats...are they really that necessary?"

~Discuss

~Narkissos
    I'll take this easy one.

Yes the are essensial, hence the name Essensial Fatty Acids. They are essensial because your body cannot produce them, they must come from an outisde source. Much like Essensial Amino Acids.

Here's one.

"I eat 3 times per day. Is that enough? If Not...why?"

chest6 is offline Banned
    Here's one.

"I eat 3 times per day. Is that enough? If Not...why?"
    I'll try this one..Im REALLY trying to get this diet stuff down, so please give me "harsh advice" if necessary nark..I can take it

No. Eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day keeps the metabolism going strong. Your body will constantly be digesting food. A good rule of thumb is to consume a meal every 2 hours, 2.5 hours at the most.
    1. You cannot possibly get all of the macros necessary for your goals (effectively) with only 3 meals a day.
    2. PWO/PPWO is not addressed here, this is one of the most important and crucial factors of any diet. After a resistence training workout, your body is in a catabolic state and the muscles are in need of nutrients. It needs protein to refuel, and carbohydrates to replenish glycogen stores. For most, a PWO shake consists of whey protein and a high glycemic carbohydrate to easily spike insulin levels, as discussed earlier. Spiking the insulin allows for nutrients to be "shuttled" to the muscles that need them much more quickly. A PPWO meal, or Post Post WorkOut meal is also very important. This should be consumed, ideally, 45-60 minutes following your Post Workout shake. The PPWO meal should include a high protein source, coming from solid food. Typically, a lean animal protein such as grilled chicken should suffice here. Along with this protein, carbohydrates are also necessary to further replenish your body. This meal should contain a carbohydrate that is low glycemic, such as brown rice, yams, or oats. I prefer brown rice, because its glycemic index is lower than the other two.
    3. Pro/carb and pro/fat seperation are necessary. Your body needs different nutrients for fuel at different times. Also, one should avoid combining carbohydrates and fat beyond minimal amounts. Carbohydrates will spike insulin levels depending on their glycemic index and combining fats while spiking your insulin will in turn store that fat as adipose tissue.

In short, consuming ONLY 3 meals a day would be an extremely ineffective way to pursue significant body composition changes over time. Sure, for the beginning bodybuilder, this method you have asked about could be moderately effective for a short period of time, but a plataeu would be hit MUCH sooner, rather than later. Some beginners would turn to anabolics here (just making an example), but the major problem here lies in the D-I-E-T.
    In my opinion, bodybuilding is 80% diet and 20% training. When AAS is introduced, only after a genetic potential has been reached by following a very good diet for years and nothing more can be done in terms of diet, well that is another story . AAS STILL will not yield any more than inconsistent, unkeepable gains if the diet and training are attended to, very seriously, first. Steroids or any other exogenous chemical should remain out of your vocabulary for quite a while until everything involving this post is taken care of.

Nark...blast the hell outta this. I didnt use any references, just what I know (or think I know) from reading this great site. I am not sure on a few things, I'll be honest..so clear up anything that I have written that is incorrect. I could have gone for longer, but I figure no one wants to hear me ramble

I also did not check for grammar, excuse any typos, grammatical errors etc

pretty good... you may add a question of your own :thumb sup:

chest6 is offline Banned
    You see any weakpoints there? Anything that sticks out at you that isnt correct?

My question is..how do EFA's aid in fat loss?

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    EFAs help balance hormones and increases the bodies output of these for example, growth hormone , thyroid hormone testosterone to name a few. The increase in these hormones will lead to an increased fat loss. Also, the help muscle cells recover and grow etc by making them more supple and able when it comes to passing nutrients in and out of cells. EFAs also aid in metabolise bad fats like the saturated ones or hydrogenated ones. There are many more technical reasons to EFAs and fat loss though

dazbo is offline Senior Member
    as for all the other Q's - they been answered pretty much how I would answer them!

"If I inject synthol into my penis will it make me the new Dirk Diggler?"

Discuss........

Oppps my bad, I should save my questions for PM

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Another:

"Hi my girlfriend needs help on gaining weight. She's 5'3" and 105 lbs. She wants me to get her on a bulking diet. She wants to hit up a weight gainer and other supps. I was gonna tell her to try the Prolab Nlarge cause i read the ad and it seemed pretty good.

On prob she is that she's at university all day..so she doesn't have much time for meal-planning.

I'd need some suggestions of some meals besides chicken or beef that she can take and heat up ...or have readily available. I would put her on a similar diet to mine but I have access to a kitchen all day. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks"

Discuss.
    I would answere like this.

"Any decent university has microwaves so make sure she brings quality solid foods. Besides chicken and beef you can go with lean poork, lean fish(cod, tuna). I have found that the easiest thing to warm is stews and pasta sauces. Easy, quick, taste good and is very quick to down.
    She can bring 5-6 fruits everyday and eat aswell, not to mention nuts. Nix the Nlarge if she needs a quick easy meal make her a whey shake in water with flax or a plain whey shake in milk. She can easily squeese in 1 solid meal and 2 shakes along with the fruits when she is at university. Along with a solid breakfast and a good meal when she gets home that is 5 good meals with snacks."

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    awsome idea nark i'll be back to post more

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    This is great stuff.

Oh and Chest, great answers!

When am not as feeling as tired i will answer where i can

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    oh oh oh oh
    i wanna know about compiling meals combining both HIGH QUALITY fats i.e. Salmon/EggYolks/Olive Oil w/ low GI good carbs like Oats, Barly, Slow/Low cooked yams ?
    since i have seen both pro and cons of this but i have seen though i can not recall articles on it.. that when combined it can help regulate blood glucose lvls GOGO DISCUSS PLZ

chest6 is offline Banned
    Oh and..Is a pro/carb meal necessary after PM cardio..this has always confused me..cuz I had pro/fats to finish out the day. I think swole told me awhile back to go with pro/fats after PM cardio like normal

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    Another:

Thanks"

Discuss.

Ok I'll play!

"1st, weight gainer shakes are helpful to those who cannot sit down and eat a meal through out the day, but should not be relied on as a substantial part of your diet. Real food is very necessary to gain LBM.

Make sure to incorporate "good" carbs into breakfast, such as oats, along with protein. Since she is at home at this time, she should make this meal "real" food, egg whites and oats are a good example, or a healthy recipe (I can give you) for protein pancakes that can be made prior to and poped in the toaster for a quick breakfast.

Next were going to need some fats in this diet, if shes at home, a couple scoops of Natty peanut butter and a source of protein, if shes on campus, she can purchase a salad or veggies, and have a precooked pre packaged chicken breast in tupperware dishes that can be heated up anywhere there is a microwave. (Become friendly with a prof who's office is located next to a teacher's lounge and ask them to heat it for you.) Add some olive oil to the salad or veggies and you have a no hassel protein/fat meal.

Now were going to pull out another one of those handy dandy prepackaged meals, this time of a lean protein (ground turkey, beef steak, chicken) and some brown rice and some green veggies if your stomach can hold all this. Again get it heated and your good to go.

So now we are at late mid day, a weight gainer shake can be placed here. Mixed at a water fountain and consumed while walking to class. (Yea, yea get over the stares, those people are just jealous they dont have your body.)

A post workout meal here with a whey shake and dextrose, followed by a protein carb meal and hour to 2 hours later. Here i like to spice up my carbs by having 1/2 a baked sweet potato with immitation spray butter.

And then before bed I add in a couple cans of tuna and some mayo. Sometimes if Im in the mood for something green I add this to a bed of lettuce and some tomato and red onion. You can add a little red vinegar dressing to it, no cals, just some spices.

Now this is just a rough outline of how I bulk, and not everyone will respond the same to somethign like this. I recomend she keep a log on fitday.com to see how she responds and if she is honestly getting enough cals to grow.

My final suggestion for you is to have her join AR. We have some very knowledgable females here to help, so have her come on in and join the party!
    ~Prin"

so Nark... how was that? Do I win a Barbi??? lol

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    My response:

If it was that easy, we would all be ripped and lean. Unfortunately commercial pre-packaged foods are not going to make the cut. You need lean protein meats, high quality carbs (brown rice, oats, grains, etc) and healthy fats (flaxseed oil, pb, olive oil, almonds, etc) instead. There are a whole laundry list of foods that you can choose from that would fit into a well-designed eating plan. All the nutrition information and specifics can be found with some due diligence and searching through the AR "Diet" archives. I'm sure it was covered at one point or another. Back to your diet....it needs a major overhaul. Period. It severly lacks the nutrients neccessary to improve your physique. In fact, it will probably do the opposite for you. Anyway, I'd start with the basics for now and work my way up to more advanced nutritional practices. Whatever you do, don't get discouraged. There are many knowledgeable and helpful guys and girls on the message board that can assist you with your fat-loss efforts. Remember its a lifestyle, as opposed to a diet. Stay the course and good things will come. You'll be glad that you did. Good luck!

for more info, check out:
    www.fitnessblueprints.com

"Hi...i'm looking to lose the pudge around the middle. I'm 5'5" and 180 lbs...about 15 % bodyfat. Been working out for the last 4 years...on and off. I'd like help with my diet thanks.

My diet:

Meal one (7am): coffee; toasted strudel; low-fat milk; cereal; fruit

Meal two (12 pm): spaghetti and meatballs; vegetable; juice

Meal three (3 pm): Nescafe+ cream; ham subway sandwich

Workout: 4 pm

Meal 5 (6 pm): protein shake (2 scoops protein + water)

I don't eat after 6 pm cus i heard that makes you fatter.

I go to bed at midnight.

THanks"

Discuss

~Nark

MatrixGuy is offline Good things come to those who wait
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Oh and..Is a pro/carb meal necessary after PM cardio..this has always confused me..cuz I had pro/fats to finish out the day. I think swole told me awhile back to go with pro/fats after PM cardio like normal
    I am also confused on the same subject. Some days i perform cardio around 8pm and finish about 9pm. What should i be having, pro/carb or pro/fat straight after?

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboxa
    oh oh oh oh
    i wanna know about compiling meals combining both HIGH QUALITY fats i.e. Salmon/EggYolks/Olive Oil w/ low GI good carbs like Oats, Barly, Slow/Low cooked yams ?
    since i have seen both pro and cons of this but i have seen though i can not recall articles on it.. that when combined it can help regulate blood glucose lvls GOGO DISCUSS PLZ

Both fat and protein lower the gi of carbs. So if you use a carb source with very low gi(lentils and beans for instance), mix it with a fatter cut of meat it wont be a problem. To further lower gi drink something sour before or during the meal(apple cider vinegar is good) also chew down a mouthfull of flax seeds or swallow a spoon of psyllium seeds.

Oats isnt low gi. Atlest not oatmeal. Its medium, leaning towards the high side.

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    I am also confused on the same subject. Some days i perform cardio around 8pm and finish about 9pm. What should i be having, pro/carb or pro/fat straight after?

Really doesn't matter all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by ttuprincess
    so Nark... how was that? Do I win a Barbi??? lol
    *Nark Changes his Name to 'Barbi'*

ttuprincess is offline Anabolic Member
    *Nark Changes his Name to 'Barbi'*

lol... so how was that response???

Thread Information