chest6 is offline Banned

Cheat meals/days essential?

I have been on the cutting diet prepared for me by people here for 3 weeks or so now. Great results, I'm down to 248 from 260 when I started. I have no problem sticking with this but should I throw a cheat meal in once a week like a carb/fat or an entire cheat day....or is it not necessary and it will only end up setting me back?

Aegir is offline New Member
    IMO,the whole metabolism excuse is just bull$hit.The only advantage I find in a cheat meal is the psychological one,and only while bulking,for else the fat setback and bloated look can be quite demoralizing.So I try to keep my cheat meals to a minimum,usually on family occasions,holidays,etc. - and,since 2day it's Hallowe'en,gigantic pumpkin pie....

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    i always try to keep my cheats to a minimal - expecially while cutting cos i always end up 2kg heavier the next day (yes i know its mainly water but it still takes 3 days to lose) - i find i make better progress with no cheat meal all week

i just find it extremely difficult to get thru the weekend without a cheat

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    other than for mental sanity i say you dont need to cheat....if you reach a plateau then a healthy carb refeed may be beneficial, but cheating lead me to a huge plateau two years ago and now that i have cut it back to a couple times a year (holidays and special events) i find it easier to lose bodyfat.

MuckDog is offline Senior Member
    i agree with all the above - cheat meals are a no-no. ive been on a cutting diet for 3 weeks now and ive lost 10 lbs. decieded to have a cheat 1/2 day last week and gained 3 lbs and felt like shit the following 3 days because of it.

on a side note, after eating 99% clean year round even when bulking you can definitely use the mental break and have some fun...i know that from personal experience and cannot wait til my next show is done.

chuck89gt5.0 is offline Senior Member
    I had my first cheat last weekend and another this weekend and I wish I never had cheated. If you can stay on your diet without cheating then your better off.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    other than for mental sanity i say you dont need to cheat....if you reach a plateau then a healthy carb refeed may be beneficial, but cheating lead me to a huge plateau two years ago and now that i have cut it back to a couple times a year (holidays and special events) i find it easier to lose bodyfat.

cheat meal a couple of times a year ???

now thats discipline - i couldnt do that
    i had french fries with my chicken today
    oops

chest6 is offline Banned
    Okay good. Its really not hard to stick to this diet because of the results I am seeing. I havent had a cheat meal since I have started and I don't intend to in awhile. If I deviate and eat shit for one day I'd prolly just feel all bloated and fat for the rest of the week like yall said. Thanks

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Yeah, cheat meals/days will slow your progress. I do find though that after dieting for over 2 or 3 months, 1 every couple of weeks will help break plateaus. Right now you should leave them out. What is your diet looking like bud? Also keep it up. There is nothing I respect more than someone who can keep a strict diet.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    Yeah, cheat meals/days will slow your progress. I do find though that after dieting for over 2 or 3 months, 1 every couple of weeks will help break plateaus. Right now you should leave them out. What is your diet looking like bud? Also keep it up. There is nothing I respect more than someone who can keep a strict diet.
    Here it is:

cardio 5 days a week or so
    1. 1/2 cup oats
    2 scoops whey in water

2. 4 slices turkey
    Flax

3. tuna w/ mayo

4. 8 oz brisket
    green veggies

5. 1/2 cup oats here)
    2 scoops whey

6. Workout (I workout really late)
    Pwo shake 40g protein 80g dextrose

7. 2 chicken breasts
    brown rice & veggies

8. 2 tbsps natty pb
    2 scoops whey

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    i find that cheat meals work very well fo me, i have 1 per week i dont go real crazy just replace 1 of my meals with something diffrent, lately i have been useing enchaladias and ice cream, i just dont eat so much soi cant move i use to do that and it did slow me down quit a bit,

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    This thread makes me sick, i feel like such a loser.

IMO a cheat meal is essential to a strict cutting diet, i have one meal per week and yes i might feel bloated for a few days and have gained some water weight but i am in the gym the next day working as hard as ever.

Basically what i am saying is that it has had no negative effects on my cutting.

By all means do not cheat at all if you so choose.

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Here it is:

cardio 5 days a week or so
    1. 1/2 cup oats
    2 scoops whey in water

2. 4 slices turkey
    Flax

3. tuna w/ mayo

4. 8 oz brisket
    green veggies

5. 1/2 cup oats here)
    2 scoops whey

6. Workout (I workout really late)
    Pwo shake 40g protein 80g dextrose

7. 2 chicken breasts
    brown rice & veggies

8. 2 tbsps natty pb
    2 scoops whey
    I like it. Simple and effective. I assume your cardio is done in the morning on an empty stomach. If you find yourself needing a cheat day in the next couple of weeks, make it a reward for a certain weight goal. So if your 248 and need one, plan one out for the day after you reach 240 or something. That is what I did and it really helped out. It helped out to remind me why I don't eat crap like that anymore because I would feel like an absolute slob and seeing the scale the next day weighing 5 pounds higher would make me more determined than ever to stay strict. Some people can eat one every week and still lose a lot of fat. Not me. My body will try and store as much fat as possible. Which is evident by my "before resurrection" weight of 318lb. Stay strong Chest6. You are an inspiration and I admire your courage more than you know.

mitch911 is offline Member
    my cheat day is sunday (leg day) sat i tend to look flat so this day fills me out again and gives me enough energy to keep my strength constant or even increasing durring the week.the day is mostly a carb up day but i utilize whole wheat pasta and some whole wheat breads along with my brown rice and oats..have 6/7 pro/carb meals instead of my usual 3 pro carb meals on w/o days and 2 on non

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    im currently on cutting
    after four weeks i stopped losing bf%
    then i had cheat day last week and one this week..
    and im back on track started losing more weight ...

i think it does help...
    only if you are going to have a show then i dont think you should cheat..
    otherwise its great for the mind and for the body...

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    I agree that if you are pre-contest you should not stray from your dietary approach, but i and many others do not show so its no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    cheat meal a couple of times a year ???

now thats discipline - i couldnt do that
    i had french fries with my chicken today
    oops
    well in my off season i was eating 4000 calories...i could do alot of things with healthy food to make life interesting. i still ate a lot of food just nothing too bad (like junk food and fast food). i just stopped craving it after a while. we'll see what next year brings though.

mitch911 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    well in my off season i was eating 4000 calories...i could do alot of things with healthy food to make life interesting. i still ate a lot of food just nothing too bad (like junk food and fast food). i just stopped craving it after a while. we'll see what next year brings though.
    can u list some off season foods u would eat but not eat durring say cutting 2-4 months out from a show?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1buffsob
    I like it. Simple and effective. I assume your cardio is done in the morning on an empty stomach. If you find yourself needing a cheat day in the next couple of weeks, make it a reward for a certain weight goal. So if your 248 and need one, plan one out for the day after you reach 240 or something. That is what I did and it really helped out. It helped out to remind me why I don't eat crap like that anymore because I would feel like an absolute slob and seeing the scale the next day weighing 5 pounds higher would make me more determined than ever to stay strict. Some people can eat one every week and still lose a lot of fat. Not me. My body will try and store as much fat as possible. Which is evident by my "before resurrection" weight of 318lb. Stay strong Chest6. You are an inspiration and I admire your courage more than you know.
    Thats a good idea man..I think I'll have a cheat day when I hit 240...that is if I can get there..my weightloss seems to be slowing down recently. Thank you for the kind words, they are much appreciated. If you were 318 before you should be giving yourself loads of credit as well..anyone with that much will power needs to be recognized.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Thats a good idea man..I think I'll have a cheat day when I hit 240...that is if I can get there..my weightloss seems to be slowing down recently. Thank you for the kind words, they are much appreciated. If you were 318 before you should be giving yourself loads of credit as well..anyone with that much will power needs to be recognized.

Wait until your weight loss stalls out. Then you need to rework your cals and lower them abit. Thyroid and Leptin do not drop significantly until you are at a lower BF%. Getting below your natural BF setpoint will make weight loss harder because of the hormonal changes that will occur, it is then that a carb up day becomes very important, to help continue in your weight loss efforts. As for know, while you BF is still abit high cheating is not really needed physically, perhaps mentally it is. If you do need to cheat try for now at least to limit it to a meal once per week. As time goes on you will be bale to cheat more and get away with it.

copenhagen is offline Member
    chest6 i am on week 5 of my diet and i am gonna go hard until thanksgiving then i am gonna enjoy some clean home cooking. that will get me through until christmas. just a thought, good luck bro!

chest6 is offline Banned
    sounds good. Thanks giantz..very helpful. Actually I havent cheated once since I started..that I can remember. I'll go as long as I can until weightloss stalls. For sure..I have to eat a lot on thanksgiving..but if I am not to 234ish by then..I'll keep it within reason

Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    can u list some off season foods u would eat but not eat durring say cutting 2-4 months out from a show?
    fruit
    yogurt
    cottage cheese
    corn
    peas
    tomato sauce
    protein bars
    peanut butter
    dressing
    and i am a condiment king (sugar free ketchup, syrups etc)
    butter sprays
    white potatoes (here and there)
    cous cous
    and many others.

Thread Information