Luke is offline Associate Member

how much protein can body digest at one dose?

What is your opinion on that?
    Is there a limit to the amount of protein the body can digest?
    E.g. if I get a protein shake that is 75-85 g of proteins, will that all be absorbed?

Thank you.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Split that into two. Unless you're running 250+lbs, you really don't need that much.

That being said, everyone's different. I'd say a general rule of thumb is 40-60g for a healthy male athletic build.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I've gone 70 before making sure I load up on my fiber even more than I do now, but I don't make a shake above 55 at this point. If you split it up equally during the day instead of doing 3-4 70gramers you're body will respond a whole lot better, absorb more and not leave you with a hr. long stool session.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    personally i think you "train" your body to be able to use more protien in one feeding. I would start at 50-60g easy to work up to 80 or more per sitting. Having said that i also feel it's easy for your body to use 100g of whey Protien vs 100g from steak or solid food source.

Pembo is offline Junior Member
    Depends on the quality of the protein.

If it is a vegetable protein that has an amino acid compostion very different from that of muscle then less is utilized because it doesn't have the correct amounts of different amino acids needed for muscle building. The left over amino acids unable to be used are then demeniated (nitrogen out) and stored as fat or used for energy. The demeniation makes your piss smell real bad.

Whereas whey has a amino acid composition almost identcial to muscle so more is utilized and less wasted.

Therefore if you are having large protein portions make sure it's a source that has a simialr amino acid composition to muscle. e.g egg whites, whey. (Meat, fish, chicken are o.k but not as good as the other two).

A good way to tell if your having too much is if your piss really smells strong 3 hours after intake.

I am of the school says 50g per sitting and 5/6 sittings. This doesn't make my piss smell to bad hence it's being used to build muscle.

NightOp is offline Member
    while we're on this.. I've been told that protein (such as whey) needs around 15-25 grams of carbs (usually complex) for absorbtion... I hardly ever eat/drink protein alone, but wondered if this was true.

Billmister is offline Member
    I don't know if this will help you guys but This is what I do. I usually drink a 30g protien drink in between meals. For instance I would eat and then 2 in a half hours later take a shake then 2 in a half hours later eat again, etc... But when I work out in about 30 minutes after I work out I take A 40-50g weigh Protien Drink. Since I have been told by many that the body absorbs more protien after a work out because you just tore down muscles. And if you take more then 35-40g of protien during the day, your body will most likely use up about 30-35g of it and waist the rest. And like NightOP said carb in combination with protien is good as well. That's what I do, but then again everyone is different. I weight 140lb, 5'7, LIfted for one year and a half

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    damn, who told you this NightOp? I am interested in this as well. You know what though, we really don't need to get so damn scientific about this. LOL...I've been guilty of this many-a-times, just eat, and eat good.

NightOp is offline Member
    I read that in a book long ago (i shouldn't say "i was told" i guess), I can try to find it when I get home from school... if yall want... if I recall correctly it was not backed up with a study or anything... might be just campfire talk.. I don't know... I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this

Socio is offline Associate Member
    from what i can gather the need for carbohyrdrates are for 1.Energy if protein alone is consumed , alot of the aminos will be broken down and used as glycogen the rest will file them selves off to the muscles and liver .... 2.Insulin , as we all know insulin is what takes the aminos to the appropriate cells (along with the lipids to there own) so amino acids will need to be turned to glucose to do that also this is what i would imagine.

Thread Information