Girlyman is offline Associate Member

Is my textbook lying to me?

So anyway in my ESSF class that I'm taking for fun/knowledge. It warns about high protein diets being harmful to kidneys exc. It also states that multiple studies were done and there was no benefit in muscle growth or athletic performance by taking in more than 15% of your diet comprised of protein. This pretty much defies everything I've read on this website about dieting, so do we need to subject ourselfs to massive amounts of protein just to repair miniscule tears in muscle fiber?

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I found this article...

One of the most frequently repeated criticisms of higher protein diets is that they will allegedly lead to kidney damage.There is indeed evidence to support the notion that high-protein intakes may be harmful to people with pre-existing kidney damage. However, in the long-running Nurses' Health Study, eleven years of follow-up showed that high protein intake was not associated with renal function decline in women who had normal renal function at the start of the study.

Protein metabolism results in the production of urea, a waste product that must be filtered through the kidneys. While such increases pose little threat to healthy kidneys, damaged kidneys may not be able to safely process increased amounts of urea. Critics, however, seek to convince those unclear of the above facts that high protein intakes will damage healthy kidneys. Repeated studies have shown such a claim to be completely false.

According to a well-known study conducted by Dellalieux and Poortmans published in the International Journal Sport Nutrition Exercise Metabolism, there is finally evidence that high protein diets may not be harmful to the kidneys of healthy athletes, but rather to those individuals with pre-existing kidney dysfunctions, thus making other speculations unfounded.

Last edited by usualsuspect; 11-07-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    So anyway in my ESSF class that I'm taking for fun/knowledge. It warns about high protein diets being harmful to kidneys exc. It also states that multiple studies were done and there was no benefit in muscle growth or athletic performance by taking in more than 15% of your diet comprised of protein. This pretty much defies everything I've read on this website about dieting, so do we need to subject ourselfs to massive amounts of protein just to repair miniscule tears in muscle fiber?
    It is right and it is wrong. I'm assuimg that its outdated. Protein can be hard on your kindeys, if water intake is not high. Your kidneys function to excrete ammonia and nitrogen from excess aminos. When water intake is insufficient, you will not be filtering these out properly which could be potentially damaging.

In regards to the protein amount, that is untrue and has been proven wrong several times. Most updated texts say that 1g of protein per Lb of LBM is a good place to start.

chest6 is offline Banned
    The daily recommended allowance for protein is 50g for a 2000 calorie diet. I have more than 50g of protein in most of my MEALS.

TR'05 is offline Member
    I only have one kidney as a result of a childhood illness. Being that I consume over 300 grams of protein on on a daily basis I asked my DR. that exact question. The response which Giantz provided is seemingly identical, from what my long term memory has stored, to the answer I was given.

As long as your pounding enough water everything is a-okay.

Well I was more getting at is it necessary for us to be consuming 300 grams of protein a day, I mean that seems kind of excessive to repair microscopic tears

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    my NASM book recomends protein comsumption at 20% but then again i agree with Giantz

300 grams of protein is really not that much for an active 200 lb man. If you're sedentary that is one thing, but if your breaking down muscle and depleting glycogen levels 3 to 5 days of the week, I don't think 300 grams is considered excessive or harmful on the kidneys. In fact, studies have been published showing that healthy individuals have little to worry about with high-protein diets. To demonstrate, a recent study showed that when bodybuilders consumed up to 1.3 grams of protein per pund of body weight, kidney function was not impaired. I'm curious to know how old is your book? Perhaps, the author is a victim to this surviving notion him/herself and neglected to mention the reference is made to individuals with unhealthy kidneys. Either way, I'd like to see more clinical studies done using "bodybuilders." That way, we can finally put to rest this long standing rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlyman
    Well I was more getting at is it necessary for us to be consuming 300 grams of protein a day, I mean that seems kind of excessive to repair microscopic tears

chest6 is offline Banned
    What about 2g per lb of bodyweight. I was thinkin bout goin with 500g everyday when I start bulking again

The textbook is like 14th edition and brand new so they update the information often I suppose. Has anyone tried lifting with a USDA recommended protein diet of 50g's per day? or even something as low as 100?

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    chest u should be hittin that much anway specilly when cutting

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    What about 2g per lb of bodyweight. I was thinkin bout goin with 500g everyday when I start bulking again

When bulking high protein is of less importance because you should be eating much more carbs. Insulin will keep you anabolic as well as prevent any proteolysis, so proteins are used much more efficiently.

Good point bro

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    When bulking high protein is of less importance because you should be eating much more carbs. Insulin will keep you anabolic as well as prevent any proteolysis, so proteins are used much more efficiently.

Thread Information