Girlyman is offline Associate Member

proteins turn into carbs?

I was just reading one of Giantz responses to a cardio question, and he was saying proteins can sloppily turn into carbs if the body needs it. Does this mean since I'm cutting (im sick and not lifting) at the moment if I don't eat carbs, my body will turn them into carbs? Wouldnt that make my pro/fat meals more like carb/fat meals and screw me up?

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm not sure what he meant either. Maybe if carbs are not readily available then your body's second source of energy is protein.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    In the article that was posted, the writer says to consume a "protein only" meal before HIIT training. When presented with an energy demand, food that is eaten will be used for fuel. Which means that the protein you just ate will be converted to glucose for fuel, its called gluconeogenesis, the making of new glucose. If you do not eat carbs, your liver will elevate blood sugar to keep you from going hypo. If you do not eat carbs for 3+ days the liver will be depleted of glycogen and you will be in ketosis. Which converts fat and amino's into glucose for fuel.

Hackamaniac is offline King Without a Crown ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    In the article that was posted, the writer says to consume a "protein only" meal before HIIT training. When presented with an energy demand, food that is eaten will be used for fuel. Which means that the protein you just ate will be converted to glucose for fuel, its called gluconeogenesis, the making of new glucose. If you do not eat carbs, your liver will elevate blood sugar to keep you from going hypo. If you do not eat carbs for 3+ days the liver will be depleted of glycogen and you will be in ketosis. Which converts fat and amino's into glucose for fuel.
    Giantz know his shit.

so ketosis is good? I am willing to not eat carbs for a few days if it'll get some fat burning

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    There is no metabolic advantage to being in ketosis, a diet with carbs will do just fine and you'll feel about 100x better.

thanks giantz, you're like the new swole!

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    gluconeogenesis, the making of new glucose.

You gotta love that word.

Gluco --->Glucose
    Neo ----->New
    Genesis ->The beginning

I wish we could break down more words like that.

Our bodies need an energy source. If we dont give it its primary choice (Glucose/Carbs) then it will just break down other foods if need be. A low carb diet can work wonders. A no carb diet is a no no in my book

Thread Information