steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT

real food over shakes

say ur gonna replace a shake with real food dose it matter if its slightly less cal's because we all no real food has greater BV and is better anyway

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    say ur gonna replace a shake with real food dose it matter if its slightly less cal's because we all no real food has greater BV and is better anyway
    I used to have a shake before one of my classes b/c of time, but now I just have chicken. It's like15-20 less kcal, but I'm not worried about it I eyeball most of my meals so I tend to get a little more than expected and I am still gaining so it hasn't done me wrong

cool good to know i am going to start replacing a my mid after noon shake with some chicken

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    cool good to know i am going to start replacing a my mid after noon shake with some chicken
    Yea since I replaced my shakes with real food I have been getting better results and less hungy. I keep my shakes to pre/post workout and before bed with some casein

yeah i always have one post workout. then one a night before BT

SPIKE is offline AR-Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    This is a topic that I"m very surprised more people havent commented on. I remember commenting on a similar topic that had so many posts.

In my research there isnt a way for your body to distinguish the difference between whole foods and supps as far as calories. A calorie is a calorie and your body has a maintenence total for the day. That is the number I work with when it comes to myself and my clients.

Now as far as feeling full I definitely feel fuller when eating whole foods. Sure the body naturally digests every 2-3 hours and that's why we space out our meals to keep a speedy metabolism. As 24Labor said whole foods keep him more full b/c it's going to take the body longer to break down those foods and send each macronutrient to its designated section of the body. Anything hydrolized or predigested, like a shake, will be easier to break down.

Like take this for instance. I"m trying to bulk right now so I will eat a whole meal and then compliment it with 2 scoops of Whey and 6oz. of water. BANG!! That way you get the best of both worlds. Enough solid food to keep your body busy and another quick 38g of protein to jack up the total amount for the day. How else can I get in 300g+ a day?????

Austex is offline Member
    Whole foods are necessarily more "bio-available", but rather they have more naturally occuring vitamins/minerals. Thus, the nutrient content is higher than i.e. a protein shake. Bio-availabliity refers to the abililty of a substance to be absorbed by the body.

Thread Information