Flex2winny is offline Associate Member

Oats are making me ILL!

LOL...I bet it's been 2 years str8....I need a new breakfast idea........I usualy have 1/2 to 2/3 cup oats as my carb source, anyone perfect something different? Thinking maybe an ezekiel multigrain bagel and slaaping my dozen egg whites on top....maybe a decent cereal, some carb sense skim or yogurt and some whey? Granola with 0 sugar? Any thought?

Sweet potato or Yam is what I have for breakfast, with 6 egg whites and 2 yolks.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    whole grain bread is the easiest replacement.

or mix some dried fruits with oatmeal and yoghurt

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone_Biggums
    Sweet potato or Yam is what I have for breakfast, with 6 egg whites and 2 yolks.
    that's different.....gotta give you credit for that.....thinking of something pretty high in protein, easy on the stomach, and a solid source of carbs....some of those cereals scrare me, even the organic...sugars are 10+....just as long as it's whole wheat, no hfcs and sugars <3......ezekiel bread products appear to be the best call..........what do you think, anyone tried?

http://www.food-for-life.com/summary.asp?cat=28

might even be better than oats....just wonder if they are as filling?

Austex is offline Member
    Low-carb granola (you can also buy the raw ingredients from Whole Foods and make this yourself) or Honey Bunches of Oats cereal.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I use cream of wheat or grits when I get tired of oats.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

~SC~
    thats a thought too..thanks bro...same nut. profile? I looked at them awhile back, it was like 1/3 cup compared to 1 full cup of oats.....I'm assuming they soak up the water and are filling like steel cut? Just was afraid I'd be hungry in an hour......what is your breakfast like?

1/2 cup grits
    egg whites
    coffee?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    i like whole wheat bread as a carb source for breakfast.

Austex is offline Member
    Coffee is a no-no.

~SC~
    how do you prepare? Grits? I think I'm sold....prob. a nice switch from splenda and sweetned oats, to a butter and salted breakfast...esp. with eggs mixed in....mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Austex
    Coffee is a no-no.
    Why????

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by Flex2winny
    how do you prepare? Grits? I think I'm sold....prob. a nice switch from splenda and sweetned oats, to a butter and salted breakfast...esp. with eggs mixed in....mmm
    Yeah, grits w/egg whites and "I can't believe it's not butter" spray and some salt.

I can eat that all day.

~SC~

Austex is offline Member
    Why????

~SC~
    I guess it's not EXACTLY a no-no, I personally try to stay away from it. I don't (at this moment) recall the scientific reasoning behind this, but I know that coffee affects the ability to use the mineral calcium. If I find the article, I'll post it.

Austex is offline Member
    Well, I can't find the article I recalled...but I found another from the NIH Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet. They claim it does affect absorption and excretion, but it is negligible. I remember otherwise. My bad!

"# Caffeine:
    Caffeine has a small effect on calcium absorption. It can temporarily increase calcium excretion and may modestly decrease calcium absorption, an effect easily offset by increasing calcium consumption in the diet [17]. One cup of regular brewed coffee causes a loss of only 2-3 mg of calcium easily offset by adding a tablespoon of milk [14]. Moderate caffeine consumption, (1 cup of coffee or 2 cups of tea per day), in young women who have adequate calcium intakes has little to no negative effects on their bones [18]."

Just a note: One 8 oz. cup of ground bean brewed coffee contains app. 95 mg. of caffeine.
    Last edited by Austex; 11-28-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austex
    Well, I can't find the article I recalled...but I found another from the NIH Dietary Supplement Fact Sheet. They claim it does affect absorption and excretion, but it is negligible. I remember otherwise. My bad!

"# Caffeine:
    Caffeine has a small effect on calcium absorption. It can temporarily increase calcium excretion and may modestly decrease calcium absorption, an effect easily offset by increasing calcium consumption in the diet [17]. One cup of regular brewed coffee causes a loss of only 2-3 mg of calcium easily offset by adding a tablespoon of milk [14]. Moderate caffeine consumption, (1 cup of coffee or 2 cups of tea per day), in young women who have adequate calcium intakes has little to no negative effects on their bones [18]."

Just a note: One 8 oz. cup of ground bean brewed coffee contains app. 95 mg. of caffeine.

I have heard the calcium thing too, but being that caffeine has recently even been shown to help in a myriad of other ways, enjoying some isn't going to harm you at all, especially if you consume calcium in your diet or supplements, and consume this apart from coffee/caffeine indulgence.

Found the headline on CNN

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryC...rition/tb/1619

WASHINGTON, Aug. 29-Coffee is the number one source of antioxidants in the U.S. diet-not because it is especially high in antioxidants, but because Americans drink so much of it.

In addition to a morning jolt, coffee gives the average American almost 1,300 mg daily of antioxidants in the form of polyphenols, substances found in plants that may be more important than vitamins C and E when it comes to preventing disease, said Joe Vinson, Ph.D., of the University of Scranton in Scranton, Pa.

Coffee far outstrips the second and third dietary sources of polyphenols in the United States: black tea (294 mg) and bananas (76 mg), Dr. Vinson reported at the national meeting of the American Chemical Society here on Sunday.

Dr. Vinson and colleagues analyzed the polyphenol content of more than 100 different foods and beverages, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, and oils. In addition to absolute polyphenol content, however, the researchers also considered the amount of each food the average American consumed daily. Data on U.S. per-capita consumption of these foods was obtained from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The remaining items in the top ten dietary sources of polyphenols included dry beans (72 mg/day), corn (48 mg/day), red wine (44 mg/day), beer (42 mg/day), apples (39 mg/day), tomatoes (32 mg/day), and potatoes (28 mg/day).

Does this mean people should drink more coffee instead of eating their fruits and vegetables?

No, Dr. Vinson said. "Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber," he said.

Fruits such as dates, cranberries, and red grapes have some of the highest concentrations of antioxidants per serving sized, he noted. However, these foods are consumed less frequently by Americans than coffee.

Although some studies have linked coffee to potential health benefits, such as protection against liver and colon cancer, other studies have tied it to high blood pressure and elevated heart rates, Dr. Vinson said. Therefore, he recommends moderation when it comes to coffee drinking.

"One or two cups a day appears to be beneficial," he concluded.

~SC~

I have heard the calcium thing too, but being that caffeine has recently even been shown to help in a myriad of other ways, enjoying some isn't going to harm you at all, especially if you consume calcium in your diet or supplements, and consume this apart from coffee/caffeine indulgence.

Found the headline on CNN

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Primatrition/tb/1619

WASHINGTON, Aug. 29-Coffee is the number one source of antioxidants in the U.S. diet-not because it is especially high in antioxidants, but because Americans drink so much of it.

In addition to a morning jolt, coffee gives the average American almost 1,300 mg daily of antioxidants in the form of polyphenols, substances found in plants that may be more important than vitamins C and E when it comes to preventing disease, said Joe Vinson, Ph.D., of the University of Scranton in Scranton, Pa.

Coffee far outstrips the second and third dietary sources of polyphenols in the United States: black tea (294 mg) and bananas (76 mg), Dr. Vinson reported at the national meeting of the American Chemical Society here on Sunday.

Dr. Vinson and colleagues analyzed the polyphenol content of more than 100 different foods and beverages, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, and oils. In addition to absolute polyphenol content, however, the researchers also considered the amount of each food the average American consumed daily. Data on U.S. per-capita consumption of these foods was obtained from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The remaining items in the top ten dietary sources of polyphenols included dry beans (72 mg/day), corn (48 mg/day), red wine (44 mg/day), beer (42 mg/day), apples (39 mg/day), tomatoes (32 mg/day), and potatoes (28 mg/day).

Does this mean people should drink more coffee instead of eating their fruits and vegetables?

No, Dr. Vinson said. "Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber," he said.

Fruits such as dates, cranberries, and red grapes have some of the highest concentrations of antioxidants per serving sized, he noted. However, these foods are consumed less frequently by Americans than coffee.

Although some studies have linked coffee to potential health benefits, such as protection against liver and colon cancer, other studies have tied it to high blood pressure and elevated heart rates, Dr. Vinson said. Therefore, he recommends moderation when it comes to coffee drinking.

"One or two cups a day appears to be beneficial," he concluded.

~SC~
    swole, or 3-4, 5-6 and some green tea

hey boss, how do you prepare your am grits?

Any chance of you psoting your current diet? I know it's your career and its what works for you, but I dont any one of intelliengce would copy it.....could I just see the layout as far as
    pc,
    pf,
    pc
    etc.....

My diet right now is pretty extreme because I am trying to cut as much as I can in 3 weeks before I have to leave to L.A., so it wouldn't be anything that one would want to follow.

My grits I make w/water in the microwave.

Coffee, well I have a pre-paid Starbucks card, so you can imagine how I enjoy it.

~SC~

~SC~

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    My diet right now is pretty extreme because I am trying to cut as much as I can in 3 weeks before I have to leave to L.A., so it wouldn't be anything that one would want to follow.

My grits I make w/water in the microwave.

Coffee, well I have a pre-paid Starbucks card, so you can imagine how I enjoy it.

~SC~

~SC~
    Pre-paid SB card, the only way to roll!

U know it!

~SC~

got one too......americano grande with a couple splendas?

for the grits, I was having a hard tme with it bubling over.....1/2 cup with 2 cups water then microwave? Any tips?

Steel cut I soak over night, thats the key with those....grits are foreign to me......

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex2winny
    got one too......americano grande with a couple splendas?

for the grits, I was having a hard tme with it bubling over.....1/2 cup with 2 cups water then microwave? Any tips?

Steel cut I soak over night, thats the key with those....grits are foreign to me......
    Winny, try Cream of Wheat, its friggin awesome. Couple splenda's and some sugar free maple syrup. So good.

Doberman is offline Associate Member

~SC~

What exaclty are "grits"? I live in England so have never seen them before?

Thread Information