Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chest6 is offline Banned

How "Essential" are EFAs

Honestly, I left my flax and omega3 capsules at home. Ive been without it lately...my fat intake has been too high and this is an attempt to cut some out. My question is, while cutting, are EFA's absolutely necessary?

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Nothing's 'absolutely necessary'.

Can they assist? Yes.

And anyway...if you're trying to cut down on your fat intake...you should do just that: cut down on your dietary fat intake... not your supplementary fat intake.

That's no excuse.

Sorry if i come over a bit rough ole boy

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    EFA's are essential to my diet yes. When I don't have them I can really notice a difference. If you don't have access to flax, there are various kinds of nuts that have the Unsat fat needed in your diet. Oh yea, stop eating cookies and ice cream.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    Nothing's 'absolutely necessary'.

Can they assist? Yes.

And anyway...if you're trying to cut down on your fat intake...you should do just that: cut down on your dietary fat intake... not your supplementary fat intake.

That's no excuse.

Sorry if i come over a bit rough ole boy

Wasnt rough at all...just the kind of advice I need. You make a very good point. I'll reduce mayo with tuna, already removed one slice cheese, removed dry peanuts, new protein I have has much less fat than old. I think I need to do a re-count for my calories..I may have dropped near 2k for nonworkout days. Speaking of that flax, nark you think it would be best to add the flax or add the omega3 capsules..I am going to add one of these back in.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IBdmfkr
    EFA's are essential to my diet yes. When I don't have them I can really notice a difference. If you don't have access to flax, there are various kinds of nuts that have the Unsat fat needed in your diet. Oh yea, stop eating cookies and ice cream.
    I havent even been near cookies and ice cream..anything close to as bad as that. Worst thing I have done is taco bell as a forced cheat meal 2 weeks ago to try to kickstart progress.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Speaking of that flax, nark you think it would be best to add the flax or add the omega3 capsules..I am going to add one of these back in.
    Add the flax...

chest6 is offline Banned
    Thanks..will do. Man..I think you took off right before I finished my post in your Q&A thread. mannn

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    If you care about your health they are as essential as anything can be.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Hence the name:

Essential Fatty Acids. Fella's it doens' get much easier than that. Its in the damn name

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    well i have stopped takin em for a while...didnt notice any difference at all...for those who have noticed a diff...what sort of diff are we talking bout??

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    essential means we need it and our bodies dont produce them. This goes for EFa and amnino acids. just like vitamins if they are essential then we must consume them or you could die from deficency not to mention the crappy diseases like rickets or beri beri from lack of them. If its essential and our bodies cant make them we have to supplement or eat the right foods

iron you might go a long time before noticing anything. To little EFA's negativly effects brain function, makes your skin dry, you could easier get inflamations. Cells needs EFA's for proper function since other fats are to sturdy. Its not like you will dropp dead without flax or fish oil supplements.
    You could possibly but it would require a pretty damn wierd diet aswell. You will get trace ammounts of EFA's in the diet.

But if you want to live a long and healthy life and do your body a favor they are essential.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    iron you might go a long time before noticing anything. To little EFA's negativly effects brain function, makes your skin dry, you could easier get inflamations. Cells needs EFA's for proper function since other fats are to sturdy. Its not like you will dropp dead without flax or fish oil supplements.
    You could possibly but it would require a pretty damn wierd diet aswell. You will get trace ammounts of EFA's in the diet.

But if you want to live a long and healthy life and do your body a favor they are essential.

Exactly.

well said, the american(typical diet) is geared up so we get all the vitamins/minerals ect. that are essential. Since a lot of our food is fortified with grains and such we don't realize how much we do get. Youd have to have a crap diet like johan said to see anything wrong but it is a good idea to use them. Chest remember other oils have EFAs in them to not just flax. I know johan has a vault full of them I beleive his special oil is hemp oil cant find it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    well said, the american(typical diet) is geared up so we get all the vitamins/minerals ect. that are essential. Since a lot of our food is fortified with grains and such we don't realize how much we do get. Youd have to have a crap diet like johan said to see anything wrong but it is a good idea to use them. Chest remember other oils have EFAs in them to not just flax. I know johan has a vault full of them I beleive his special oil is hemp oil cant find it anywhere.

American Diets contain mainly just Omega-6 Fats, that why Omega-3 fish oil's are so popular. However we should include the entire spectrum Omega -3-6-9's and make sure that most of our EFA's are coming from Vegetarian sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    American Diets contain mainly just Omega-6 Fats, that why Omega-3 fish oil's are so popular. However we should include the entire spectrum Omega -3-6-9's and make sure that most of our EFA's are coming from Vegetarian sources.
    yea noone ever talks about the 9's less about the 6's but always the 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    Yeah the regular diet is enough to keep a person from getting serious deficients in all the vitamins. But no where near the optimal levels.

EFA's can be found in most cold pressed oil's I recon. Hemp oil is suposed to have the perfect balance betwen 3-6-9 but it is a oil humans havent consumed for long so better to stick to the known good sources like flax, nuts and fatty fish.

well i see tons of people who dont supplement with efas and dont get any from food sources, theyre still alive...I dunno how the quality of their life is(healthwise) maybe it sux i dunno, but they appear fine...maybe lots of problems stem from not having enough EFAs again i wouldnt know...

Im gonna read about em a bit more to fully understand and make a desicion....I know that ur advice is good but im just too damn curious and i gotta be 100% convinced and know the exact mechanism to just take it like that...

If it wasnt for the high ammounts of different toxins in salmon I would much rather get the omega 3 from fish. Tastes better than flax

If it wasnt for the high ammounts of different toxins in salmon I would much rather get the omega 3 from fish. Tastes better than flax
    wut toxins??

salmon tastes DAMN GOOD, esp smoked

Quote Originally Posted by IronFreakX
    well i see tons of people who dont supplement with efas and dont get any from food sources, theyre still alive...I dunno how the quality of their life is(healthwise) maybe it sux i dunno, but they appear fine...maybe lots of problems stem from not having enough EFAs again i wouldnt know...

Im gonna read about em a bit more to fully understand and make a desicion....I know that ur advice is good but im just too damn curious and i gotta be 100% convinced and know the exact mechanism to just take it like that...

The most convicing argument I have heard and can give is that the cell's use fats to create the cell walls/shells. If only saturated fats are aviable the cell walls will become very rigid, that will make the cells work less efficiently and this will effect everything from immune system to workout recovery and metabolism.

You only need like 5-10 grams of it though. To much is bad mostly because LDL cholesterol created out of poly unsaturated fats are more likely to oxidate.

wut toxins??

salmon tastes DAMN GOOD, esp smoked

Mostly DDT and another one, cant remember its name. Escimoes are becoming sterile or close to it because of the ammounts of DDT in fatty fish and other sea animals that they eat.

No fish for me, but yes Fish Oils have EPA/DHA however the agrument that your body poorly converted Flax to these I think is a bad one. 1 Tbls of Flax should be enough EFA's for just about anyone.

No fish for me, but yes Fish Oils have EPA/DHA however the agrument that your body poorly converted Flax to these I think is a bad one. 1 Tbls of Flax should be enough EFA's for just about anyone.
    I agree, the conversion is probably as effective as it needs to be. But salmon still tastes better

Mostly DDT and another one, cant remember its name. Escimoes are becoming sterile or close to it because of the ammounts of DDT in fatty fish and other sea animals that they eat.
    DDT the chemical they use to kill mosquites??

isnt that shit banned??

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    supplementing, or replacing 1 meal per day with a protein/fat shake can get an over weight person losing up to 1 lb per day..

doesn't sound like alot.. but it works.
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

DDT the chemical they use to kill mosquites??

isnt that shit banned??
    yeah in most places of the world its banned. But it will take many years for it to go away from the ecosystem.

yeah in most places of the world its banned. But it will take many years for it to go away from the ecosystem.
    FVCKING SHIT!!!

so it is the DDT damn

they use that shit here alot....

FVCKING SHIT!!!

so it is the DDT damn

they use that shit here alot....

The worst DDT poisioning is acctualy around the artic. The levels of DDT has become enrichened through out the food chain so a polar beer has 1 billion times higher concentration of DDT than the seawater.

well is all fish full of ddt now??? how do u know if it is?? and are there any ddt free fish?? sounds stupid (ddt free fish lol)

ddt stores in the fat. So fish like cod and tuna has almost no ddt.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Now that I think of it..maybe thats why I didnt lose 1lb last week. Sure I didnt eat great, but it wasn't terrible. I didnt have any flax/omega3 capsules all that week. I have been consistently losing 3lbs a week til that week.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Now that I think of it..maybe thats why I didnt lose 1lb last week. Sure I didnt eat great, but it wasn't terrible. I didnt have any flax/omega3 capsules all that week. I have been consistently losing 3lbs a week til that week.
    do you have flax oil or caps?

305GUY is offline Anabolic Member
    I recently learned that omega 6 contributes to prostate cancer.

Austex is offline Member
    What!? Can you provide a research analysis on this?

Quote Originally Posted by 305GUY
    the funny thing is everything you use can give you a higher rate of cancer. I've seen articles about shampoo, gum certain food and all sort of random products that with more use can increase your risk of cancer.Hell they prolly think lifting can increase the rate of cancer. The problem with this is people see this and say hey stay away from such and such it will give you cancer but isn't it funny how people have been using the same products for years with no problem, think about that next time you wash your hair you might get cancer Now some things like smoking increase cancer, but it has hundreds of studies to back it up so when I see numerous studies about shampoo or omega 6's related to cancer i'll take my chances.

chest6 is offline Banned
    well I had the oil..I need to get some tmr

Quote Originally Posted by 305GUY

its probabkly if the balance betwen omega 3 and 6 is wrong.

Everything causes cancer, no ones got the cure, no ones got the answer

alo5603 is offline Member
    you can only get cancer from it if you are predisposed to that particular ingredient from birth. Everybody is born with cancer cells in their bodies, and what triggers it to manifest is that specific ingredient. It is not yet known, at least i havent seen it, as to why everybody has a different way of getting cancer, but it is known that it only manifests when you come in contact with a certain thing.
    So some may get it from shampoo, some from EFA's, gum, etc.....

alo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information