Tedmax195 is offline Member

How long should i wait?

How long after having supper should i go to the gym i have been waiting 2-3 hours because that is when i also do my cardio after my workout.
    Thanks in advance

bump anyone?

bump somebody throw me a bone here.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Sorry we didn't get to this earlier.

Supper? WTF is that?! I haven't heard that since '85. lol

Just messin bro.

I usually go to the gym about an hour after eating. But I don't eat carbs before my workout. .I wanna force my body to use stored glycogen, so when lifting is done I'm already in fat burning mode.

Werks fer mee.

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    P- I used to do that too. To try to burn fat better, but think about how much better your workout could be if you had a nice supply of carbs for energy and endurance. Plus, it takes longer to digest protein and fats so if your going to workout 1 hour after you eat, your not fully digested- which means you have blood in your stomach and intestines pushing to digest that food, in turn it could weigh or slow you down, or could be a double wammy to your energy level since your already running carbless, another thing is that since your body is trying to digest itself, you are stressing it once you start training by pumping blood into other muscles. So your body is battling blood in the stomach vs. blood in your muscle's being trained. This is just a hypothesis I came up with regarding myself and the way I used to think prior to training. Now I find it makes sence to eat a slow digesting carbohydrate source such as oatmeal to fuel my workout intensity and minimal protein (less than 20 grams "whey" with some some glutamine added in). Since carbohydrates digest the quickest, I can eat this meal and workout out about an hour or so later knowing that I'm mostly digested and have the blood ready and waiting to be pumped into the muscles. Plus energy to get me through a high intensity workout.

Pembo is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Iwanabsolid2, if you deplete your muscle glycogen stores to much you will break down (gluconeogenisis) your muscle protein to provide energy. Accepted a little of this is needed so that re-building happens and you get supercompensation which makes your muscles bigger. However to much of this leads to a super catabolic state which leads to muscle atrophy and loads of cortisol in your system (no good for anyone).

Only glycerol from fat can be turned into glucose (glycerol is the smallest part of fat), the fatty acids (three of them) have to go through the krebs cycle and electron transport system to produce energy. The Krebs and transport chain require oxygen to produce ATP, oxygen is not present for ATP production when doing high intensity reps. Therefore if glucose from muscle glycogen or blood isn't available proteins are broken down into amino acids which are turned into glucose for anaerobic energy production (gluconeogenisis)

Hence fat isn't used for high intensity anaerobic work (lifting weights) and a reasonable supply of glycogen from carbs is needed to avoid an detremental massive catabolic state.

Therefore complex carbs (oatmeal) about 1 and a half hours before training is the beast idea to fuel a productive training session.

Try to do cardio first thing in the morining and not after training if possible.

This is my theory from what I have read.

Bring on the flames

thanks for the resposes guys much appreciated.

Thread Information