Thread: Irish Oats

Hadrian is offline New Member

Irish Oats

So I know that in general the more whole the oat the less g.i.. I bought a can of 'Irish Steel Cut Oats' (just to change things up). Does anyone know the g.i. on these? Or do you just think it's basically the same as quick oats? Thanks.

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    theyre low...but dont cook em for too long

Flex2winny is offline Associate Member
    They are the number one (maybe next to groats) form of oatmeal you will fine as far as quality, macros, gi, etc......The problem (for some) is theyh are much less filling and contain DOUBLE the calories...
    for exp. 1 cup rolled = 300 cals, 52 carbs; 1 cup steel cut = 600 cals, 100+ carbs

i LOVE THEM as I am sicker than piss of oats (rolled), switching to beans and eggs for breakfast as we speak......SECRET = 1/2 CUP STEEL CUT, 1 CUP WATER AND SOAK THEM OVERNIGHT!

next day they are good to go in 3-4mins of micro..

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've actually tried buckwheat too and 1/4 cup cooks up to a full cup for 150 cals...pretty good with splenda and cinnamon.

Hadrian is offline New Member
    i LOVE THEM as I am sicker than piss of oats (rolled), switching to beans and eggs for breakfast as we speak......SECRET = 1/2 CUP STEEL CUT, 1 CUP WATER AND SOAK THEM OVERNIGHT!
    Good call! I make enough up for a whole week, put them in ziplocks and freeze 'em. They freeze really well. I also mix them with rolled oats, because yeah they are higher in calories but they break the monotony!

Flex2winny is offline Associate Member
    just wish they were more filling.....they absolutely suck in that dept......I could easily put down a cup dry in the mornings with my eggs..........

Thread Information