Hadrian is offline New Member

How does this diet look to you guys?

Okay, so I'm pretty new to all this stuff. I want to drop my bf as fast as possible but safely and I want maintain as much muscle as I can, cause afterwards I'm going to try and gain. So this is my cutting diet:

Breakfast: 5 egg whites/1 whole egg
    1 cup Milk
    1/2 cup cooked oatmeal w/one tablespoon protein powder
    1/2 grapefruit
    Total Cal: 388/ Carbs: 30/Protein:40

Snack: Protein shake
    1/2 grapefruit
    Total Cal: 99/Carbs: 9/ Protein: 14

Lunch: 1/2 can of sockeye salmon
    1 whole wheat pita
    Mixed green salad with 1 tsp olive oil
    Total Cal:350/Carbs 30/Protein 27

Snack:Protein Shake
    23 almonds
    Total: 220/Carbs 1/ Protein 18

Dinner: Chicken Breast, skinless
    steamed low g.i. veggies
    mixed green salad w/ roasted pumpkin seeds/
    tablespoon flax oil
    Total: 353/ Carbs 7/ 30

Snack: 1 scoop protein powder mixed in
    1/2 cup yogurt w/
    handfull of raspberries
    Total Cal: 140/carbs 14/protein 18

Snack: 1 cup no fat cottage cheese
    Total: 123/Carbs 2/Protein 25

Also throughout the day I'll be taking fish oil capsules which will account for another 120 calories

I workout right before dinner, & consume a postworkout drink right after. On days I don't lift, I do intervals. 6 days a week I do a.m. cardio.

I'm 6'4", 250, 22% bf

Total Calories for whole day= 2010/ 86 grms carbs/ 174 grms protein.

this is a long post but i wanted to be detailed. thanks in advance for any help you guys could toss my way

whoops! sorry for the double post. Could a mod get rid of one? Thanks.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Here are a couple points to think about.

You have 4 snacks listed. I'd be interested to know the spacing of your diet.

You are consuming salmon, olive oil, almonds, and flax. The fish oil caps are overkill for efa needs.

The rest of your diet is clean and complete. You're a little short on total calories though. with your size I'd not recommend less than 2500. Especially with your activity level.

Remember that on the days you're not training at night keep your carbs to a minimum and increase fibrous veggies and protein.

What is your activity during the day?

You have 4 snacks listed. I'd be interested to know the spacing of your diet.
    I'm eating every 2 hours. The last 'snack' is eatin about half an hour before bed.
    You are consuming salmon, olive oil, almonds, and flax. The fish oil caps are overkill for efa needs
    I agree. On the other hand, I'm trying to find a way to get my calories up in a fairly structured way. The fish oil caps provide that, without me having to swallow another protein shake, or eat something carb ladden. But I'm definatly open to suggestions.

I'll be bumping up the calories in a few weeks to 2500. I've read that you can cut a lot of fat in the first few weeks of dieting without losing too much muscle on a very low calorie diet (as long as youre starting at high bf).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'activity during the day', but if you mean in terms of job, I sit at a desk 95% of the time. I take stairs instead of escalators and I usually walk to and from work (about 1/2 hour all together)
    Last edited by Hadrian; 12-07-2005 at 02:57 PM.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Your total calories for the day should be a lot higher, in my opinion. If you are doing that much AM cardio, as well as training later on in the day your activity level is quite high; therefore, you want to have more cals- a lot more. I am 185 lbs and highly active also. I consume over 2500 cals/day and am currently on a cutting diet. Results have been great- I have dropped significant bf% and dropped from 198 lbs. Moreover, I haven't lost any strength at all; and, in some lifts gotten stronger.

Its all about patience, bro. If you don't want to lose that hard earned muscle you have to eat! For someone of your size I'd shoot for: 3000 cals +, ~100 grams fat, 350-400 grams of protein, and ~150 carbs (most coming in your PWO nutrition).

As you have it now you will sacrifice lots of muscle to drop lbs. 174grams of protein for someone your size is not even close to enough! Tinker with the diet- check out the stickies- and good luck to you.

Thread Information