Machdiesel is offline Anabolic Member

Carbs before workout??

i read in the bulking sticky carbs at breakfast, PWO and PPWO, but not before your workout, wouldnt u want cabrs for some energy pre workout(haha i use nOX so it doesnt matter)but wouldnt that make sense?

also i read carbs r bad for the last meal of the day, and for many PPWO meal is the last meal, ne thought?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Machdiesel
    also i read carbs r bad for the last meal of the day, and for many PPWO meal is the last meal, ne thought?
    if your last meal of the day is ppwo then eat some carbs. and yes you want carbs preworkout.

copenhagen is offline Member
    carbs=fuel, you need fuel for workouts

Austex is offline Member
    You simply just misunderstood the post. Breakfast, PWO, and PPWO meals should "in most situations" be your HIGHER carb meals. Not your ONLY carb meals! Emphasize the higher amount of carbs in those 3 meals and you're golden.

chest6 is offline Banned
    For bulking I will definitely have preworkout carbs. For cutting I keep carbs to breakfast, pwo and ppwo.

D9S0M is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Austex
    You simply just misunderstood the post. Breakfast, PWO, and PPWO meals should "in most situations" be your HIGHER carb meals. Not your ONLY carb meals! Emphasize the higher amount of carbs in those 3 meals and you're golden.

How high?

Austex is offline Member
    Personally, I consume (when bulking) about 25% of my daily carb intake in each of the 2 whole meals and 40% in my PWO shake. The other 10% is left for pre-workout.

1morerep is offline Associate Member
    u don't want to ingest carbs b4 bed, cause it will sit in your stomach, instead have some fat free cottage cheese and a protein shake with flax seed oil.

Austex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1morerep
    u don't want to ingest carbs b4 bed, cause it will sit in your stomach, instead have some fat free cottage cheese and a protein shake with flax seed oil.
    Not necessarily. Take, for example, someone who trains at night and shortly after goes to bed. You sure as hell don't want to eat a pro/fat meal. You must first restore blood-glucose levels and glycogen stores.

i been having about 75 grams of carb breakfast,preworkout,and post workout meal and 100 pwo...is that 2 much in my 3 meals b4 my PWO?

Austex is offline Member
    What does your macro profile look like for a typical day? It is best to consume carbs earlier in the day if anything. My breakfast meal contains app. 75-80 grams of carbs, pre-workout contains app. 30 grams of carbs, pwo shake contains app. 120 grams carbs, and ppwo meal contains app. 75-80 grams carbs. The rest of my meals are pro/fat...one in the AM after breakfast, one after ppwo meal, and last before bed. Total is 7 meals.

i try and shoot for 300pro 300-315carb and 80 fat...its like this p/c p/f p/f p/c TRAIN p/c p/c BED...And also how can i get my 80 gram of fat in without mixing it with carbs i kinda have been mixxing it with 2 of my low low gi carb meals i was wondering if that is ok...

dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    most of your carbs should come after the work, but def p/c meal pre workout as well.

yea but wat about mixing fat with low low gi carb meals to get my target fat intake for the day?

IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    It's almost a must, unless you can eat every couple hours. Otherwise, get it right before bed to help slow protein absorbtion and in your second meal of the day.

Austex is offline Member
    Your macro seperation looks good bro! If you consume low GI carbs pre-workout, you could add some fats to that meal. If you ABSOLUTELY can not get one more meal in after your PPWO, I would say add some fats to that low-GI p/c meal also.

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    most of your carbs should come after the work, but def p/c meal pre workout as well.

Dr.Shred, damn good to see you back!

Quote Originally Posted by 1morerep
    If you don't want to eat carbs, then why on earth would you suggest to eat fat. Considering that fat is oxidized far slower than any carb???

Carbs before bed is nothing but a myth, please put that to rest, thanks.

Agreed, thought everyone knew that.

Outlaw4life is offline New Member
    So Carbs before bed doesnt hurt you none? It more or less helps you?

Nothing before bed hurts you. Its your daily cals that will dtermine weight loss, not what you eat before bed.

so having cheat meals early int he day so you have a chace to burn the off during the day only refers to cals, not carbs as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Nothing before bed hurts you. Its your daily cals that will dtermine weight loss, not what you eat before bed.
    It really can't be broken down any further than this statement. It all boils down to your total Protein, Carb, Fat consumption at the end of the day. I've even read that your body works in cycles, For example sleep cycles in 3hr intervals, Test release, GH pulses etc...

Austex is offline Member
    Sleep cycles = RMA (deep) sleep. That is why you do not nap for more than 45 minutes.

Romeoguy62 is offline Associate Member
    Should pre-workout carbs be in the form of a meal such as rice, oats, or whole grain breads? Or should it be a simple carb such as a maltodextrose source mixed with whey protein?

Austex is offline Member
    Depends on when you are taking it. Over 1-1.5 hours, stick with complex.

Well I usually have breakfast, then a 2nd meal, then I lift usually 2 hours later. If I eat a large amount of rice with my 2nd meal should that suffice? Or should I drink a Red Bull or a maltodextrose shake on the way to the gym?

I think it more or less boils down to whether you are bulking or cutting and what bodytype you have. Obviously someone that is overweight doesn't want to gulp down 100carbs on the way to the gym.. Whereas someone bulking almost has to do this to get their calorie count for each day.

So I could eat my carb meal about 2 hours before the gym and still have a malto shake with a little whey and creatine pre-workout? I don't know who-possibly Swolecat or someone else who knows their shit-acted like I was an idiot for gulping down malto before a workout. So it IS okay then??

Quote Originally Posted by Romeoguy62
    So I could eat my carb meal about 2 hours before the gym and still have a malto shake with a little whey and creatine pre-workout? I don't know who-possibly Swolecat or someone else who knows their shit-acted like I was an idiot for gulping down malto before a workout. So it IS okay then??

Eat your pro/carb meal 30-60min before your wo and make it a solid lower gi carb and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Eat your pro/carb meal 30-60min before your wo and make it a solid lower gi carb and you'll be fine.
    i usally have my p/c meal with like 8-10 oz of yams and chicken 2-3 hrs b4 i lift is that ok??

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Austex
    Sleep cycles = RMA (deep) sleep. That is why you do not nap for more than 45 minutes.
    You mean "REM" Rapid Eye Movement>?

Austex is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FranKieC
    You mean "REM" Rapid Eye Movement>?
    Yeah I was confusing REM with RMA (Return Material Authorization).

Quote Originally Posted by D9S0M
    i usally have my p/c meal with like 8-10 oz of yams and chicken 2-3 hrs b4 i lift is that ok??

Ideally a little closer.

Thread Information