Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Does this mean high fat diets decrease lipolysis?

I have become a pudmed freak lol I do all kinds of searches and then try to figure out WTF they mean.
    Anyway did some searches about lipolysis and carbohydrates ect and came upp with this. The part I am curious about is the part in bold. The part before that(fasting before exercise optimises fatoxidation) we already know. But that fat odixation decreases with high fat diets. Do they mean when on a long term high fat diet or just imidietly following a meal with fat in it

Optimizing fat oxidation through exercise and diet.

Achten J, Jeukendrup AE.

School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom. [email protected]

Interventions aimed at increasing fat metabolism could potentially reduce the symptoms of metabolic diseases such as obesity and type 2 diabetes and may have tremendous clinical relevance. Hence, an understanding of the factors that increase or decrease fat oxidation is important. Exercise intensity and duration are important determinants of fat oxidation. Fat oxidation rates increase from low to moderate intensities and then decrease when the intensity becomes high. Maximal rates of fat oxidation have been shown to be reached at intensities between 59% and 64% of maximum oxygen consumption in trained individuals and between 47% and 52% of maximum oxygen consumption in a large sample of the general population. The mode of exercise can also affect fat oxidation, with fat oxidation being higher during running than cycling. Endurance training induces a multitude of adaptations that result in increased fat oxidation. The duration and intensity of exercise training required to induce changes in fat oxidation is currently unknown. Ingestion of carbohydrate in the hours before or on commencement of exercise reduces the rate of fat oxidation significantly compared with fasted conditions, whereas fasting longer than 6 h optimizes fat oxidation. Fat oxidation rates have been shown to decrease after ingestion of high-fat diets, partly as a result of decreased glycogen stores and partly because of adaptations at the muscle level.

Publication Types:
    Review
    Review, Tutorial

PMID: 15212756 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ohh well here is a study that proves what we all know that low fat diets sux lol

Low-fat diet alters intramuscular substrates and reduces lipolysis and fat oxidation during exercise.

Coyle EF, Jeukendrup AE, Oseto MC, Hodgkinson BJ, Zderic TW.

Human Performance Laboratory, Department of Kinesiology and Health Education, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78712, USA. [email protected]as/edu

We determined whether a low-fat diet reduces intramuscular triglyceride (IMTG) concentration, whole body lipolyis, total fat oxidation, and calculated nonplasma fatty acid (FA) oxidation during exercise. Seven endurance-trained cyclists were studied over a 3-wk period during which time they exercised 2 h/day at 70% of maximum O2 uptake VO(2 max) and consumed approximately 4,400 kcal/day. During the 1st wk, their fat intake provided 32% of energy. During the 2nd and 3rd wk, they were randomly assigned to eat 2 or 22% of energy from fat (2%FAT or 22%FAT). Compared with 22%FAT, 2%FAT lowered IMTG concentration and raised muscle glycogen concentration at rest (P < 0.05). Metabolism was studied during 1 h of exercise at 67% VO(2 max) performed in the fasted state. 2%FAT resulted in a 27% reduction (P < 0.05) in total fat oxidation vs. 22%FAT without altering the stable isotopically determined rates of plasma free fatty acid or glucose disappearance. Therefore, 2%FAT reduced calculated nonplasma FA oxidation by 40% in association with a 19% reduction in whole body lipolysis while increasing calculated minimal muscle glycogen oxidation compared with 22%FAT (all P < 0.05). In summary, an extremely low fat (2% of energy) and high-carbohydrate diet lowers whole body lipolysis, total fat oxidation, and nonplasma FA oxidation during exercise in the fasted state in association with a reduced concentration of intramuscular triglyceride.

Publication Types:
    Clinical Trial
    Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 11171592 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Destructo is offline Associate Member
    Wish I could add to this. I'd like to know too.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    real brain teaser

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    All lypolysis is the releasing of FFA's it has nothing to do with oxidation of fat. Hence the reason that I've stated its highly overrated.

this one is pretty old

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    it doesnt suggest what they mean by a high fat diet

i mean a high fat diet to us is probably like 20 - 30% of total cals
    but to the average joe not into bodybuilding that would be considered low

they are probably taking about 40% +

p.s why dont those studies talk in a language that someone without a science degree can understand

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    p.s why dont those studies talk in a language that someone without a science degree can understand
    if scientists talked like regular people what would be the point with education Got to keep the general population in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    if scientists talked like regular people what would be the point with education Got to keep the general population in the dark

yeah true

they do it on purpose to piss us ordinary folk off
    i cant understand half of it - i have to wait for you or giantz to explain it

johan what is that guy doing in your new sig pic? is he clapping? if so why? and who is he?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    You don't know Jean Claude Van Damme?

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    You don't know Jean Claude Van Damme?

is that him?
    i couldnt make it out

i heard he ran away screaming when his personal trainer started a fight with him once then lay on the floor and curled up in a ball

martial arts at its finest

Destructo is offline Associate Member
    Yeah! Van Damme Partying in a spandex unitard!! Oh, the days when that was considered cool...???? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Force
    yeah true

they do it on purpose to piss us ordinary folk off
    i cant understand half of it - i have to wait for you or giantz to explain it

johan what is that guy doing in your new sig pic? is he clapping? if so why? and who is he?
    I might understand a few % more then you, so I also turn to giantz to make sense of it

Its van damme looking like a pussy. Got to keep the embarassing moments of movies alive in my sig But it can also be interpreted as van dammes expression of joy over the big nut squirrel. He love those big nuts

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    But it can also be interpreted as van dammes expression of joy over the big nut squirrel. He love those big nuts

that really wouldnt surprise me

Thread Information