ExitedNoob is offline Junior Member

ideal food before and after workout

HAs the topic states, what is the best food or ideal food to eat before and after your workouts. THANKS

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    You should have a pro/fat meal before and after your workout. There is much debate here lately whether to have a simple carb i.e Dextrose or some oats post workout wit your whey. I think you will be fine with either but experimentation would be best to find what works best for you.

Ok I am about to go to the gym. It's about 6:10am. I ate about 4 cups of OAts (i don't measure it, I just pour it in a bowl like cereal), a big healthly scoupe of PB, a tall glass of water, 2 GNC mega mens, 1 b-12 1000mcg.
    Am I getting better?

Well off to the gYm. When I come home I will eat about some eggs, Wheat Bread, cottage cheese and a can of Tuna.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    that is such a broad question because it does depend on your personal goals...also, not measuring doesnt really help as you will never know how much food you are taking in.

StoneGRMI is offline Giggity Giggity Giggty!
    Blog Entries
    4 cups seems to be a lot to me too no matter what your goals are IMO.

Im not trying to win any contests here. I could do without a 8pack. I just want to gain muscle mass while looking fit
    I'm currently 6ft 1 215lbs, 25yrs old

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FranKieC
    You should have a pro/fat meal before and after your workout. There is much debate here lately whether to have a simple carb i.e Dextrose or some oats post workout wit your whey. I think you will be fine with either but experimentation would be best to find what works best for you.

Pro/fat meal is not ideal before you workout. Quite the opposite actually.

niXon)( is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Pro/fat meal is not ideal before you workout. Quite the opposite actually.

or after either, can u say cortisol?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Didn't see that, I'm guessing he meant Pro/carb. Should note one thing Pro/carb pre workout should be of a lower Gi carb.

jdh
    jdh is offline Associate Member
    4 cups of oats? and with peanut butter? correct me if im wrong but i think 4 cups of oats is like over 170g of carbs. at least according to my box of quaker oats 1/2 cup has 23 carbs.

KingJames23 is offline Associate Member
    Try chicken(protein) brown rice(carbs) and your protein shakes... Maybe some dextrose i guess but ive never seen that stuff in my life... Ive seen really good reults from chicken and brown rice combo.

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    Quote Originally Posted by FranKieC

Oops meant Pro/Carb lol sorry

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    For me, protein and carbs are ideal pre and post workout. Not sure for you. We don't know your goals or stats.

my stats are 25yrs old 6ft 1 215lbs. body fat unknown
    My goals are to gain muscle mass. I am not looking to me a mr olympia here. I dont want to be shreaded. I dont want a 8 pack. I would like to be solid with a decent cut to show off muscle. If that makes sense. Sorry about eatting 4 cups of oats. I was just getting a little crazy with all this eat before and after the gym thing. Can someone lay out a good before and after work out meal for me along with suggestions thro out the day? I read the bulk sticky and I have lots of cottage cheese , yogurt (which both seem not to be so great I take it even tho I thought they were a great source of protein?), tuna, ground beef, rice, peanut butter, chicken breasts, oats and vitamins here consisting of mega mens (2 daily) and b-12 (oral) I take 1 1,000mcg 3 times a day. 1 when I take my mega mens in the am and 1 at noon and 1 at about 8pm, since I work 2nd shift (3-11pm) and my lunch is at 8pm. I will be getting more supplements this saterday. I was thinking about milk thistle, Whey and the flax oil that every one talks about.
    Again I am going to the gym to get nice gains, but that doesnt mean i want to me totally cut up. I def dont want to be bloated nor shreaded so-to-speak. Like i said above I dont want to be a mr olympia. No offense, but it seems like a lot of people on this board (although filled with GREAT advice) seem to think you should be really cut.
    Thanks a lot to everyone

Instead of putting pics here I am posting the URL to a site my friend and I made. Now it is called swole catz and in no way is that disrespecting "MR SWOLE" himself. We just have a lot of respect for him and he knows so much so we did this kinda in honor of him. The guy who makes us what to look great. Note pics for dec will be comming this Sat Xmas eve).

My names JUDD

http://home.comcast.net/~swolecatz/judd/judd.htm

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    hey bro, i totally understand that you dont want to be super ripped or gigantic...just normal and healthy no problems there. if you are looking for that then i would still suggest you measure out portions so you have some idea as to how much you are eating with each meal. JMO

as far as pre workout i would go with oats or brown rice with either some chicken or a shake.

PWO - i would use either whey and dex or use whey and a bagel, rice cakes, or cereal.

PPWO - go with brown rice/sweet potato and some chicken

Eat your veggies with every meal and have most of your carbs in the AM and Pre and Post Workout.

As your activity slows down your portions can decrease until you are just having a small meal pre bed time. if you need anymore help feel free to PM me.

Thread Information