LILG is offline Junior Member

Q about dextrose

iim jus curious about dextrose, as the ppl who r on cutting diet use double the amount of dex as compare to protein in there PWO shake(i.e 40g pro/60-80g dex). As far as i know its white sugar,so is it necessary to take it in ur PWO shake?

chest6 is offline Banned
    Yes I do. 40g Whey/80g dex and I am cutting. Not a necessity at all. I think it has worked pretty well for me...some believe in this and some believe any carb will suffice. All about preference and what works IMO.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LILG
    iim jus curious about dextrose, as the ppl who r on cutting diet use double the amount of dex as compare to protein in there PWO shake(i.e 40g pro/60-80g dex). As far as i know its white sugar,so is it necessary to take it in ur PWO shake?
    For the longest time I was not a believer. I have changed my opinion. For a long time I added no sugar to my shake. I remained very lean, and never grew much in size. I keep my diet low in carbs generally. My strength increased without it but never really added much visible mass.

I began adding dextrose about 9 months ago. I really began SEEING the results from all of the work and growing much more. Over the last few months I have started losing leanness and vascularity: my washboard is gone. I attribute this to the extra caloric intake aded by the dextrose (I also think that I may be hyper-sensitive to carbs). The proportion that I had been using was 50g protein and 100g carb. I am experimenting now by reducing the carbs and may cut it back, because honestly, for me, if I had to make a choice of "big" vs. "cut" I would rather be cut.

The point of dextrose post-workout is that it metabolizes faster than regular sucrose and is, theoretically, better for recovery.

If you take creatine, it seems to act synergistically. I was unable to take it while before dextrose because it would make all my muscles cramp. With the dextrose the problem is alleviated.

In summary, whether to add dextrose, another sugar, and the amount really depend a lot on your goals, your age, and your body makeup.
    Last edited by beenie; 12-24-2005 at 05:31 AM.

It's all about the "open windows" people. PWO shakes are very important, get your carbs in. First meal of the day is an "open window" too.

venomm is offline Associate Member
    thnx fellas for the feedback

ZIA1 is offline New Member
    Exactly what kind of dextrose supplement do you add to your post-workout shake? I have been taking in around 40g whey after training but I'm unsure exactly what to add to the shake for a dextrose supplement. Suggestions?

I've seen dextrose supplements. They're cheap and the serving size is 4g. How much is necessary to add to the shake? I'm cutting right now.

Would CELL-Tech be an appropriate choice (even though it has creatine)?
    Last edited by ZIA1; 12-24-2005 at 05:52 PM.

chest6 is offline Banned
    Plain old dextrose. Mine is 1 tspoon=5g dextrose. So...

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Plain old dextrose. Mine is 1 tspoon=5g dextrose. So...
    Comes in a bag ( a pound or two) right? Also, how much do you use in your shake? I'm on a cutting phase right now and after the training I take in a protein shake consisting of 40g whey. How much dextrose would you add to that?

chest6 is offline Banned
    I add 80g..which is 5 1/2 tablespoons. Mine is a 5lb bag from bulkfoods.com. I am cutting right now also.

venomm is offline Associate Member
    i bought mine from store call Sangsters(its a health food store).its Plain old dextrose in a box. i start wit 40g, is that the right amount to start wit ? as its too sweet

chest6 is offline Banned
    I would do a pwo shake with the dextrose:whey ratio being 2:1

BIGNFIT is offline Junior Member
    I am attempted to try 50/50 ( dextro/malto) plus whey so the glucose support would be quick and slow release as well..so far I am using 50 gr whey, 100 gr dextro..today I felt dizzy,when I consumed the mix after the workout , I strongly believe related to an insulin thing due the dextro..

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beenie
    For the longest time I was not a believer. I have changed my opinion. For a long time I added no sugar to my shake. I remained very lean, and never grew much in size. I keep my diet low in carbs generally. My strength increased without it but never really added much visible mass.

I began adding dextrose about 9 months ago. I really began SEEING the results from all of the work and growing much more. Over the last few months I have started losing leanness and vascularity: my washboard is gone. I attribute this to the extra caloric intake aded by the dextrose (I also think that I may be hyper-sensitive to carbs). The proportion that I had been using was 50g protein and 100g carb. I am experimenting now by reducing the carbs and may cut it back, because honestly, for me, if I had to make a choice of "big" vs. "cut" I would rather be cut.

The point of dextrose post-workout is that it metabolizes faster than regular sucrose and is, theoretically, better for recovery.

If you take creatine, it seems to act synergistically. I was unable to take it while before dextrose because it would make all my muscles cramp. With the dextrose the problem is alleviated.

In summary, whether to add dextrose, another sugar, and the amount really depend a lot on your goals, your age, and your body makeup.
    I am actually trying to cut now, and I will try your approach that was not effective for you to build mass beforehand. Hope it works.

Thread Information