Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member

A simple Carb question about Dextrose vs. Maltodextrin

Can anyone tell my if simple carbs like Maltodextrin and Dextrose can react diferently in the body? Here's my situation, I used to take Ultrafuel(Twinlab) like a hundred grams postworkout. I also used to be able to get lean fairly quick, even while taking in that amount of simple sugars post workout. Then I heard about Dextrose being a better choice as a postworkout simple sugar, so I started to use Hydrafuel(Twinlab)- thing is I'm having a damn hard time to get lean, I used to not really have to do cardio cause my diet is so clean. I'm wondering if the Dextrose doesn't metabolise as well as the Maltodextrin in my body?

Also I know how important postworkout nutrition is and the meal prior, I hear to eat an hour after the postworkout shake. I do this but am never hungry, seems like I could go for hours without wanting to eat food, yet other times - I can't wait to eat. Sometimes I do however get that wierd faint feeling and loss of energy like my glucose levels drop and feel like I need to eat something before I pass out or get sick- you know what I'm talking about? But my stomach is not hungry and is churning always churning after that postworkout shake- then I get gas and start ripping farts...anyone experience the same thing, what's the cause of this.

Farmer is offline Member
    Currently im taking 48 grams of dex and 48 of malto after I workout and I think it is working great. I can always manage to eat something about an hour or so after my shake. Some people are different, maybe that is why you just can't eat.

peace

I eat but am not hungry.

Are you hungry? Like when you wake up in the morning hunger? I want to be starving a grub down, but for some reason I'm never hungry for a few hours after Training. You know what mabey it's the Speed Stack I drink prior to training? I didn't think of that. I take fat burner like Hydrox, Xenad, and still get hungry though?

Farmer is offline Member
    Thats it man, I do cardio in the morning before breakfast and I take an ECA and when I get home for breakfast its a chore to eat my oatmeal. What time do you take your fat burner? if its like 1/2 hour before maybe try 45 min before instead.

yup usually a half hour before, but see, I can't wait to pound that shake afterwards, but then I get all bloated feeling, stomach churns, gassy, and I don't feel like eating cause I feel full. I'm only taking in 50 grams of Dextrose and 36 grams of Protein postworkout.

NightOp is offline Member
    I've been told that a 1:1 ratio of maltodextrin and dextrose is optimal... can't explain why (i have a bad habit of memorizing conclusions and bottom line answers without retaining WHY ). However I think this is pretty generalized. I have been doing some reading on diet/nutrition and how it all works with insulin , GH, T, E, cortisol, igf-1, and what not... its amazing how much your diet can impact you. In fact, in a few days I'm gonna post a thread about this and see if I can get some answers to some questions I have

sounds good N/OP

Nate_Dog is offline Member

Re: A simple Carb question about Dextrose vs. Maltodextrin

Originally posted by Iwan2bsolid2
    Sometimes I do however get that wierd faint feeling and loss of energy like my glucose levels drop and feel like I need to eat something before I pass out or get sick- you know what I'm talking about?
    I get that also...

Whenworking at high intensity...

xenithon is offline Member
    solid: I think the answer lies in the fact that Maltodextrin is COMPLEX whilst dextrose is simple. Yep, you heard right

Although Maltodextrin has a very high GI, even higher thatn dextrose, it is a complex carb. That's why it is good for postworkout AND leaning out, cause its GI spikes insulin but it being complex help with maintaing leanness and preventing fat storage, whilst dextrose is a pure simple sugar and thus can turn into fat easier/quicker.

Hope this helps!

kizer_soce is offline Retired Moderator
    "To make the best possible blend, it is recommended that the carbohydrates be a 50/50 blend of dextrose (glucose) and maltodextrin. The dextrose will be absorbed very quickly and be put to work. But why not make it all dextrose you ask? Because glucose is actively transported across the cellular membrane into the muscle, there is a limit to the amount that can cross at any given time. Overloading the system can lead to it being oxidized, meaning that not all of it may end up in the muscles. Instead, we include maltodextrin, which takes a fraction longer to reach the ambush cite, and we are better able to create anabolic fusion. "

Very good Kizer...yup as soon as I finish my tub of Dextrose, I will be ordering a 50/50 blend of Malto/Dex from the proteinfactory.

I dont know how you can stand the sweetness of dextrose.... makes me want to puke.... YUK! I hate sweet stuff.

Don't really like it, but I know it's doin me right. I can't believe you don't like sweets. Your nuts bro, missing out on alot of good treats out there...um fudge, cookies, Ice cream, cake....I'm going to go raid the pantry right now.

Honestly doesn't ecite me at all... a miss things like a good avacado. Savory things are great....

You could add heaps of sugar to a turd and it would taste nice... hence all sugar products taste the same... BORING... I can understand choclate is different.... even thought I dont eat it myself.

I wish I was like that, I crave sweets. I wish I craved tuna in a tin can and chicken breasts.

Always Liftin' is offline Associate Member
    sorry to hi-jack this thread but how do u get Maltodextrin and Dextrose? Are they kind of like the protein powders in a tub and you mix em up and drink em along with a protein shake for pwo?

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Liftin'
    sorry to hi-jack this thread but how do u get Maltodextrin and Dextrose? Are they kind of like the protein powders in a tub and you mix em up and drink em along with a protein shake for pwo?
    I don't think anyone cares if you hijack this thread, it is more than 4 years old. To answer your ?, go to trueprotein.com and get both dex and malto... Yes they are powder, and come in a tub, if you like!!!!!

Always Liftin' is offline Associate Member
    wow just not noticed that, hmmm i wonder why it was at the top....dang...i bet alot of posts that i have made are on old dead posts...

Thread Information