G-Force is offline Anabolic Member

how hard is Protein on your Kidneys?

is consuming excess protein (longterm) something to worry about in terms of the health/functioning of your kidneys?

i know that excess protein is difficult to process and "bad" for you

but how much is excess? and how bad is bad?

i'm assuming 300+ protein along with drinking 1-2gallons water daily

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I seem to remember doggcrapp posting russian studies done on very high protein consumption showing there was no harm whatsoever in doing so. But I think it was in the cycles for pennies thread on animals board and that thread or copies of it cant be found anymore.

The 2 times I have done bloodwork I was consuming 300+ grams of protein and the doc said both times that my kidney values was a bit elevated, but probably because I am more muscular then normal not because of the protein consumption

I guess more muscles means more protein for the kidneys to process aswell since muscle tissue constantly gets broken down and rebuilt.

i knew that high protein fiet had potential to affect the kidneys but i never really took much notice of it, until someone mentioned it to me the other day

as long as you are consuming loads of H20 you should be ok though right?

i suppose cranberry could help too

well I personaly think you can eat high protein for the rest of your life without any special precautions and not notice a thing. Unless you do drugs or are born with some kind of kidney disease.
    Kidneys and liver are two organs that can take some serious punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    well I personaly think you can eat high protein for the rest of your life without any special precautions and not notice a thing. Unless you do drugs or are born with some kind of kidney disease.
    Kidneys and liver are two organs that can take some serious punishment.

yeah

i must remember not to abuse them too much though

oldman is offline Anabolic Member
    On this subject, my wife is in the process of donating a kidney and from what I understand that we actually only use One of our kiddneys our whole life so her giving up one of hers will not effect the way she processes extra protein and all?

Have you heard of anything on this?

thanks

Oldman

TR'05 is offline Member
    I have only had one kidney since the age of 5. When i began seriously training I obviously asked the Doctor if large amounts of protein would be a problem. I consume at least 300 grams a day. He told me that studies have shown no ill affects on kidney function. All he mentioned was to consume lots of water throughout the day. If you are working with two you shouldn't have any problems at all. Ive been working with one and lots of prot, and I am the healthiest I have ever been.
    Last edited by TR'05; 12-29-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TR'05
    I have only had one kidney since the age of 5. When i began seriously training I obviously asked the Doctor if large amounts of protein would be a problem. I consume at least 300 grams a day. He told me that studies have shown no ill affects on kidney function. All he mentioned was to consume lots of water throughout the day. If you are working with two you shouldn't have any problems at all. Ive been working with one and lots of prot, and I am the healthiest I have ever been.

Thank you very much that makes me feel better. My wife is a very dedicated trainer and I do not want this to cut into her life more than it needs to. I am glad she is doing what she is doing to save someone's life but i did not want it to end hers.

Oldman

thats cool to hear. Both that it is safe and that she is generous enough to donate such a thing. Must be a awsome girl you got there oldman

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    thats cool to hear. Both that it is safe and that she is generous enough to donate such a thing. Must be a awsome girl you got there oldman

thanks.. to say the very least she is the best girl in the world. best friends, lovers and we always have each others back in all situations. almost 17 years of marriage so and I could not have gotten luckier.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    As long as one drinks enough water and includes good amounts of roughage (fibrous green vegetables) the situation should be just fine.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    As long as one drinks enough water and includes good amounts of roughage (fibrous green vegetables) the situation should be just fine.

~SC~
    I push her to drink a minimum of a gallon a day plus she is crazy about veggies so that is never a problem.

thanks!!

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    cranberry juice or tabs would also help kidneys

Quote Originally Posted by booz
    cranberry juice or tabs would also help kidneys

She loves CBerry juice and we normally have this in the house too.

I will let you guys know if all the tests come back a perfect match and she does end up donating and how it all turns out.

Oldman

jsimon is offline Associate Member
    a friend if mine who is 21 his kidneys are shot because he is one of the rare types of people whose kidneys cannot absorb powder proteins right. I think the doc said he has a kidney of an 80 year old.

jsimon I assume that means he cant eat plenty of protein or drink plenty of milk either??

Well i am bad again on this subject.. My wife's surgery went perfect and she is coming home tomorrow . the doctor was specific in saying that is was Not Allowed to take in protein other than what she gets from foods she eats. what I mean is she can eat chicken and fish but never allowed to drink a protein shake, whey, soy.. nothing..

I can see maybe keep the doses smaller each time and drink extra water but she is a weight lifter, marathon runner and she will be training for a triathlon this year so she will have to take in protein or she will lose all her muscle.

Should she just ignore the doctor and just be sensible about the intake or should she just eat that much more chicken? Normal protein supplementation each day is about 120 grams on top of what she eats with her meals. She drinks 3 shakes a day with about 40 grams of whey.. Maybe cut that back to 20 grams each??

It scares me to think she could have an issue later but again she loves lifting and I know she is not giving it up.

~Old

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    dark grean leafy veggies (spinach, brocolli) &
    cranberry extract or cranberry juice &
    a lotta watta will help if she does decide to drink protein supps.
    also...you said "never be able to" so she really was advised to "never take in protein supps again"? wow.. but she made an amazing decision that could save a life. amen and prayers to your woman for a full recovery

Quote Originally Posted by novastepp
    dark grean leafy veggies (spinach, brocolli) &
    cranberry extract or cranberry juice &
    a lotta watta will help if she does decide to drink protein supps.
    also...you said "never be able to" so she really was advised to "never take in protein supps again"? wow.. but she made an amazing decision that could save a life. amen and prayers to your woman for a full recovery

the doctor was upfront and said NEVER.. she did not argue or question because you know how peopel can be once they get something in their head. Well she eats lots of viggies anyway (yuck yuck ack!!) and I told her she will need to increase he gallon of H2o a day and try to get more down just to be safe.. I will make sure she has cranberry juice in the house too.

She is a hell of a person, wife and friend.. I got dam lucky

thanks!!!

~Old

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    you are lucky, and i hope whatever choices she makes that they work out for the both of you

Thread Information