Kurz is offline Member

Can YOU answer this Carb ?

I ingest 100g of starch pwo with 50g protein, or I ingest 100g of glucose with said 50g protein.
    Both samples of carb yield 400 calories and both put 100g of glucose into the bloodstream. How does one make you fat and the other not??

Debateable?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Simple, you incrase the chance of adipose storage with the 100g of glucose because of its effects on Blood Sugar and Insulin . The glucose will give you a very quick spike in blood sugar and you body will compensate by releasing a lrage amount of insulin. With the insulin comes a massive increase in LPL. Lipoprotein Lipase is a major fat storing hormone. This greatly increases the chance of adipose storage. If you are cutting, will it harm you that much? It may. But seeing as you are in a caloric defecit it is much harder. If you are bulking well then I thingk a lower GI carb source is of great benefit.

Kurz is offline Member
    My training and school of thought has always been mod-high gi post training. Oats, etc never crossed my mind until reading these boads, and frankly, I still cant fathom anything other than a shake....not looking for a GI debate cause it could go on forever, but right now I'm going to stick with the

WHEY/OATS - PRE
    WHEY/GATORADE (POWDER ONLY HAS DEXT, LIQ. DOES NOT) / OR DEXT/MAT - ABOUT 2/3RDS THROUGH MY ROUTINE
    HUGE CARB AND PROTEIN MEAL WHEN I GET HOME...SOMTIMES SUBWAY IF I CANT MAKE IT, VEGGIES ON WHEAT WITH MY OWN CHX.....

Kurz is offline Member
    Wait, I just re-read that.....I always thought LPL is an enzyme, not a hormone.
    It is in the blood to break down lipoproteins into smaller fat units so they can be stored in fat cells.
    It has nothing to do with glucose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurz
    Wait, I just re-read that.....I always thought LPL is an enzyme, not a hormone.
    It is in the blood to break down lipoproteins into smaller fat units so they can be stored in fat cells.
    It has nothing to do with glucose.
    Correct my fault. Enzyme. However Insulin increases LPL and decreases HSL. Both promote a fat storing environment.

Kurz is offline Member
    Only in the presence of something for the lipases to act upon...

In the context of my example above of 100g starch vs. 100g gluc, in a protein and carb only pwo drink or meal, lipase is irrelevant.

Ok bro let me break this down for you.

You just get done weight lifting, you slam 100g of Glucose. You Spike insulin sky high. Insulin in turns activates LPL. LPL is know as a fat storage enzyme. YOu say it has nothing to act on, well it does.

One action of LPL is to allow removal of Triglycerides from the blood and to promote their storage in adipose tissue. But you said a pro/carb meal, so there will be no FFA's in the blood stream. Well there is.

Weight training and any other high intensity training will cause a large release of FFA's in the blood stream when doing a glycogen dependant activity such as weights. the body always strive for homeostasis, meaning that when you do glycogen dependant work you will find burn an alternative fuel during rest. Which is one reason FFA oxidation is elvated for up to 24hr after weight training even in the presence of insulin.

Thread Information