Thread: microwave

pilipo is offline Junior Member

microwave

being in the military i eat like as much as i can in the mess hall but they are closed 6pm to 6am and i need to eat a late night meal in my room but all i have to cook with is a microwave. anyone have good ideas for healthy microwavable meals?

Egg whites and Oatmeal

Epiphany is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMachine2000
    Egg whites and Oatmeal
    A staple for me!

You can also make chicken breasts in the microwave--it takes about 6m per lb (just make sure it's cooked--juices run clear--before you eat it). Works real well if you marinade it overnight! Also, if you're making more than a couple at a time, arrange them so the thickest parts are to the outside (that's the area that gets cooked first).

A lb of frozen shrimp would only take about 4m to cook (till pink). You'd probably have to move 'em around midway though.

You could cook eggs any way you like too. I always make omelets in the microwave 'cause it gets less dishes dirty and cooks just as fast...

Oh, one more idea--I made ground turkey in the microwave the other day 'cause I didn't feel like makin' meat loaf in the oven. It was about a lb of meat, I mixed it with some chopped onions, and microwaved it for about 5m, stirring a couple of times. Then I drained out the liquid, added a lil' mustard, lots of ketchup (well...about 1/2 cup), salt, pepper, ground parm. cheese, and a lil' vinegar. You could put whatever you want in the meat, that's just what I had on hand. Mix it all well, and put it back in the mic. for 3 minutes or so (just to heat since the meat's cooked already). It was soooo good, and took no time!

Have fun experimenting!

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Don't they let you take food to go? Thats what I used to do, sometimes you gotta be a little sneaky. I also stocked up on tuna-in-a-pouch and beef jerky (didn't rely much on the jerky though).

doby48 is offline Female Member
    And if you can swing it, may want to think about a foreman grill. You can get different brands and the small ones aren't that expensive. Great way to cook, gets out a lot of the greese like grilling but you can use it on a regular counter top and they don't take up very much room.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

thanks that helps me out alot guys!

how long do you cook eggs in the microwave?

Thread Information