Thread: stupid question

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member

stupid question

I always thought that since protein from real food was better than shakes, it made more sense to eat real protein right after working out, and i've been doing this for years. Then yesterday I was talking about diets with some random dude who told me it was better to drink whey protein right after a workout, and then eat a meal a little bit later. Have I been doing this very basic thing wrong all this time, and if it's true then why? Thanks for any help

chest6 is offline Banned
    Theres many ways to go about it. PWO can be done either way, as long as you consume sufficient carbohydrates along with your protein. Right now I have skim milk/40g whey/1 cup oats as my pwo shake, and then have 2 chicken breasts and 1/2 cup brown rice an hour later as my ppwo meal.

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    The immediate Bio-availability of shakes is higher then whole foods by like Chest says, ' Theres many ways to go about it." I personally have 50gr of protein powder and 3 scoops of powder Gatorade (93 gr of carbs) I like it so far no bloating and I find myself a little more energetic. the first couple hours after training.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yeah - shakes absorb faster than whole foods (especially when low-fat) and whey absorbs faster than say... casein (milk). I believe whey still holds the title for the fastest absorbtion and highest BV - this is a double-edge sword though... this makes it perfect for PWO but not necessarily a good option during the day (by itself) when you need a slower release...

flyguy7 is offline Associate Member
    Alright that clears up a lot, thanks guys. I love posting a dumb question at 2 in the morning and having 3 great replies an hour later, thanks again.

Canadiantiger is offline Associate Member
    Anytime!

Thread Information