Mike Dura is offline Senior Member

How do you manage carbs?

Protien seems pretty straightforward. Bodybuilders typically do a 1 to 2 gram s per pound a day over 5-7 meals. Carbs, on the other hand, really seems to vary from what I read. I don't attend to this macronutrient as much. I eat carbs with maybe 3 meals a day at about 50 gms each or 150 grams a day. As an endomesomorph I tend to put on fat easily off season so less carbs make sense to me but than again, maybe I should bump it up more. How do you guys manage carbs? Do you use your pump as a guide or just a "rule of thumb" type of thing?

Kurz is offline Member
    3-400.easily

copenhagen is offline Member
    i would say bump your carbs up to 300, i would aslo watch your fat intake at this point, when you raise your carbs the need for fat lowers somewhat. i would eat all pro/carb meals except one pro/fat meal.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    What carbs amount is "right" seems to be VERY individual. Some feel like shit if they go below 200 others like me manage without a problem on 50g day. You just need to tweak around and find what you need.

I have found out that I personaly should stay around 70-120g/day(depending if its a workout day or not) while cutting and when bulking I realy dont count.

I do no carbs preseason. Actually, I have a carb day every 5 days. I have it down for preseason diet but I'm not 100% with my off season diet. I guess a bit more experimentation will help me in the long run. I read in the ACE personal training manual that the most imp. macronutrient is carbs and they have some guidelines about amounts per kg. but I really question the conventional wisdom in light of the varied carb use in the bodybuilding community.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    What carbs amount is "right" seems to be VERY individual. Some feel like shit if they go below 200 others like me manage without a problem on 50g day. You just need to tweak around and find what you need.

I have found out that I personaly should stay around 70-120g/day(depending if its a workout day or not) while cutting and when bulking I realy dont count.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    it depens on your body reacts like you and johan i pack on the BF and tend to have muscle turnover for some weid F'n reason when i increase my carb intake, s naturally i always have since i have benn ino working out, when i bulk i just use dirty foods, i.e--baked potatos, more redmeat, 2% milk, more PB, and shit load of hamburgers and i eat alot of chick-fli-a, O hand chips and salsa but i eat all ov this in moderation,....and as for cutting i gotta post listed a few threads down..

I don't eat overly clean off season. For example, I'll drink 1% milk with almost every meal. I have one meal where it's just natural peanut butter on wheat. I love that peanut butter. I mostly eat eggs and whey though and for carbs mostly wheat bread and oatmeal. Not as varied as it should be but I'm conserving savings as I'm switching careers. As far as cutting diet, I've perfected that. I'm a good dieter on season and I rip up.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    it depens on your body reacts like you and johan i pack on the BF and tend to have muscle turnover for some weid F'n reason when i increase my carb intake, s naturally i always have since i have benn ino working out, when i bulk i just use dirty foods, i.e--baked potatos, more redmeat, 2% milk, more PB, and shit load of hamburgers and i eat alot of chick-fli-a, O hand chips and salsa but i eat all ov this in moderation,....and as for cutting i gotta post listed a few threads down..

Kurz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dura
    I don't eat overly clean off season. For example, I'll drink 1% milk with almost every meal. I have one meal where it's just natural peanut butter on wheat. I love that peanut butter. I mostly eat eggs and whey though and for carbs mostly wheat bread and oatmeal. Not as varied as it should be but I'm conserving savings as I'm switching careers. As far as cutting diet, I've perfected that. I'm a good dieter on season and I rip up.
    crazy!!!!!!

Crazy I is with that peanut butter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurz
    crazy!!!!!!

Kurz is offline Member
    shit, eat the entire jar!!

Thread Information