jdspinna is offline Associate Member

Controlling Insulin Levels and Fat Loss

Here is something I'm having a little trouble with regarding what to eat and when throughout my day. I am lifting weights at 5:00 in the morning and running from 30 - 45 minutes after I'm done. And no there isn't another time of day I can do either. What I'm doing right now is leaning down and once I get to the desired bodyfat level, keeping it below 14% at all times.

The what I am trying to decide is:

Should I eat some form of Protein/Carbohydrate or fat before going to the gym at 5:00am or will the insulin spike impede my fat loss goals?

Is my post workout meal being so early in my day slowing down my fat loss goals?

Is it better to start the day off with protein and fats and slowly introduce carbs in toward the afternoon and go back to protein fats fro your nightime meal or introduce carbs early and fats later in the day?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdspinna
    Here is something I'm having a little trouble with regarding what to eat and when throughout my day. I am lifting weights at 5:00 in the morning and running from 30 - 45 minutes after I'm done. And no there isn't another time of day I can do either. What I'm doing right now is leaning down and once I get to the desired bodyfat level, keeping it below 14% at all times.

The what I am trying to decide is:

Should I eat some form of Protein/Carbohydrate or fat before going to the gym at 5:00am or will the insulin spike impede my fat loss goals?

Is my post workout meal being so early in my day slowing down my fat loss goals?

Is it better to start the day off with protein and fats and slowly introduce carbs in toward the afternoon and go back to protein fats fro your nightime meal or introduce carbs early and fats later in the day?
    Your making it a bit too complicated. Eat Pro/carbs before and after weight training and then the rest of the day is up to you. Insulin does hault lypolysis so eating carbs later in the day could perhaps impead fat loss, but this would be a statistically insignificant amount. Of more importance is energy balance, so if you have provided the body with enough protein/stimulus to prevent muscle loss, at the end of the day being in a negative energy balance is more important than worrying about insulin levels throughout the day.

So protein and carbs before my workout will not totally hamper the fat loss effects of my cardio after lifting?

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdspinna
    So protein and carbs before my workout will not totally hamper the fat loss effects of my cardio after lifting?
    Not at all. I would never ever suggest working out after waking up without a Pro/Carb meal.

Thanks a ton!

Thread Information