Kurz is offline Member

Question on Anorexia and food.........

OK, I don't know where esle to post this, but I got a question. I got this kid (well, he's prob. late 20's) in my gym that many are concerned about. He's fairly friendly with me, so I feel I can talk to him. Problem is, I just don't know what to say. Funny thing is, my other buddy at the gym is the exact opposite. He's got serious bigrexia or whatever it's called and refuses to get off the sauce as he is "tooooo tiny". LOL, anyways, back to the topic.

This dude is prob. 6'1 and weighs about 160 I'd guess. He's in the gym everytime I'm there and lifts pretty hard (but weak).....he just looks so frail. I ask him about his diet, he eats 6-7 times a day, high protein, mod carbs, mod fat.....so he's eating. #1, he's afraid to eat MORE cause he doesnt want to lose his abs. But we all know he needs a good 50lbs.

He lifted up his shirt and I was pretty shocked. In the 40-50lbs he lost over the years, his abs look sorta blurry and not very detailed. How can this be at 150lbs? Is it possible to lose so much mass and weight that you know have no abs too? Or just the rib cage? Have you ever seen this? HELP!

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    The only thing I can think of is extreme catabolism from malnutrition. If he is truely Anorexic then this could be an issue.
    Last edited by FranKieC; 01-23-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Kurz is offline Member
    bumpski

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What was the question about anorexia and food?

~SC~

Kurz is offline Member
    Is it possible to be so anorexic and that you are so skinny, that your abs practically dissapear?

FranKieC is offline "AR's Pretty Boy"
    So i said to myself, self...

It is very possible. The reason I know this is because I know somebody that went through this and because of the lack of nutrition catobolism occured and muscle mass and definitin was pretty much non-existant.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz
    Is it possible to be so anorexic and that you are so skinny, that your abs practically dissapear?
    As a former extreme anorexic, I'd have to say no.

It's more of an issue of them just being undeveloped. Not only do they not get nutrients to grow and hold shape, the last thing an anorexic does is do abs. Seems like they may, but they don't.

~SC~

Thread Information