Thread: calories

tiger909 is offline Senior Member

calories

why does the body need them to grow

i mean 400g of protien is 1600 cals....what do the other 4000 that 2000 couldnt achieve

translated, why is 3000 cal a day(400 pro) worse than 5500 cals a day( 400 pro)?

i guess everyone here is just parrots when they tell others to eat eat eat and yet they dont know the answer as to why..................does any1 know?

bump once more

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    too many calories promote fat storage, it's stored in case your body needs it to survive in a starvation state. i take it as an ancient evolution thing, in which men and women went days or a week without hunting or finding food. now we have to pay for it. however calorie=unit of heat/energy. this is what keeps your body nourished and alive. It is the energy your body uses in metabolism (which is building up and breaking down micro and micro molecules(such as carb/pro/fats) for energy in which bodily processes take place), such as respiration, digestion, and defecation! its pretty basic as an explanation to you. but if you want to get down to the nitty gritty at a cellular level and stuff like that. go to a library get a library card and read about it. or ask a doctor, nutritionist, or a professor of biology. they know the details. have a wonderful night. thanks, BYE!

that doesnt quite answer the question

bump

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Here's what I know...
    First, everyone is different.
    Height, age, weight, level of activity - all have to do with how many calories are ideal for a person.
    Then you look at Basal Metobolic Rate (BMR) -
    This is the amount of energy your body needs to function at rest -

Here is the formula for this...Called the Harris-Benedict...
    Adult male: 66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years) = Calories per day needed just to survive at rest.
    Now as far as protein and carbs - those are estimated at 4 calories per gram, fat is estimated at 9 calories per gram.

If you only take in what your BMR is - it really doesn't matter what combination of this you have from a calorie standpoint.
    What you get in to with the mix of the three is what is called nutrition AND that my friend is where the big differences start.
    As a rule of thumb only 25% of your diet should be from fats and then you can adjust the carbs and proteins depending on what you feel you need.

At the most basic level your carbs are glucose and other sugars (you want foods that don't enter your body like you just picked up some table sugar and downed it)
    Proteins are the amino acids - there are eight that you need to get from food - known as essential amino acids
    Fats are glycerol and fatty acids

That's my 2 cents
    You'll have to read about nutrition to figure out the rest.
    Just remember that if you take in 3,500 calories more than the body can use -you just gained a pound.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger909
    i guess everyone here is just parrots when they tell others to eat eat eat and yet they dont know the answer as to why..................does any1 know?
    Why make a sweeping statement like that when your question makes pretty much no sense the way you composed it?

~SC~

that doesnt quite answer the question

bump
    Know what? You're a prick.....

The guy tries his best to answer your babbling, and you respond like this?

Go ask your parents.

~SC~

why does the body need them to grow

i mean 400g of protien is 1600 cals....what do the other 4000 that 2000 couldnt achieve
    Somebody dig in the bottom of the cereal box and get me the f*cking decoder.

~SC~

Thread Information