Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Kurz's Avatar
    Kurz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    596

    My Olympic Client

    I have reeled in a client (who won silver in swimming back in the 80's) who has developed a 100% natural cookie. All organic ingredients. Chocolate Chip and Macademia Nut. Each cookie (and they are huge!) is 300 cals, 20% fat, 30% protein and 50% carbs. Geared towards the fitness enthusiasts who is also an athlete and pushed for time. Must be frozen or refrigerated. Flax is the fat source and nuts.....whey and casein proteins.........sugar from fructose (very tiny) and carbs are oats.

    He brought me 5 and I'll tell you what, they are to die for. any ideas for getting these out?

    couple of problems I see. He can only afford to sell them in packs of 5. so it's $10 a pack, because ind. wrap is mucho $$. Also, they must be refrigerated. He's sold 2800 this month JUST to the local diving and swim team. They are crazy about them. SC - you are a bizness man - any thoughts?

  2. #2
    thestudent's Avatar
    thestudent is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    202
    Can he afford renting a kiosk in a local mall? I know the cookie companies have kiosk with fridges. He could get them out to the public that way and then go from there. Or maybe mail order. set up a website and ship with dry ice.

  3. #3
    Kurz's Avatar
    Kurz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    596
    very good ideas!

  4. #4
    Giantz11's Avatar
    Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,317
    Internet brother. Its the hub of global commerce and its only getting bigger.

  5. #5
    thestudent's Avatar
    thestudent is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    202
    I agree with Giantz on that

  6. #6
    Kurz's Avatar
    Kurz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    596
    freeze packs might be too $$

  7. #7
    thestudent's Avatar
    thestudent is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    202
    I know several companys use dry ice in a styrofoam (spelling?) box to ship products. This method seems pretty economical considering via internet website he would not be paying rent on a building or shop.

  8. #8
    novastepp's Avatar
    novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    in a dilapidated apt.
    Posts
    14,924
    wow, he really needs to read up on business and talk to as many people as he can about this. money may not be an issue if he is selling these to many MANY people... i'll help get the word out because here at my University, i am in tight with the athletic squads, coaches and trainers...

  9. #9
    Kurz's Avatar
    Kurz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    596
    they are amazing!! If only they had more proteiin! MILK!

  10. #10
    kman's Avatar
    kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,132
    I am selling homemade apple pie!!!!

  11. #11
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Internet brother. Its the hub of global commerce and its only getting bigger.
    Oh yeah!

    ~SC~

  12. #12
    geobatman's Avatar
    geobatman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    90
    I've broken the writing up in case you need breaks.

    My opinion.
    Anyone with a bit of business or stats knowledge will know that the opinions generated here will have a large bias.

    This type of product does not appeal to the general public at all. The 'fitness' community is very small, and products are quickly duplicated.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My business advice, after 1 year of university commerce (im a fkin noob):

    1. Use own money/profit from sales to invest in minor manufacturing upgrades. (2nd oven, more refridgeration space, 2nd freezer, BULK ingredients)

    2. Find an amateur graphic design student who will help create a great logo with his Company name and HIS name (if ppl know who he is, exploit it). If its truely geared toward the fitness community, have all the right stuff on the packaging. Ask yourself, What looks better: Some random cookies in saran wrap or a product that is packaged nicely that feels semi-professional.

    - A would go for a snack-cake look. What I mean is those clear plastic covers, that perhaps have cardboard bottom to keep the cookies intact. Makes the consumers feel like he cares about his product.

    - Slap the logo with detailed nutritional information + additional marketing on a package similar to a snack-cake (horrible shit but have you ever noticed the clear packaging of these is one of the strongest selling points?)

    -this is pretty much as low risk/reward as you can go. In terms of fees, addition manufacturing costs what it costs. If he knows anyone online who is handy with graphic design or even a student might do it for like 20 bucks or free. The package w/logo and info should be made by another company (will be cheap as **** in bulk) But packaged at home, by himself (huge cost reduction)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    You pose a problem in your initial post and i'll break it down by quoting you.
    1. "they are to die for. any ideas for getting these out?"
    2. "He can only afford to sell them in packs of 5. so it's $10 a pack, because ind. wrap is mucho $$"

    Basically what these two quotes tell us is that he has a good product and no money. If the profits are so low that individual wrapping significantly increases the costs, then there really isnt a future in this product.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above suggestions are technically the only step up from what he is currently doing. It boils down to.
    1. Increasing output (and costs)
    2. Increasing marketing.

    this is really dependant on how much demand he has to begin with. In conclusion, I think the product is doomed. If he is selling 3000 cookies a month and hardly turning a profit, he will need a SIGNIFICANT boost in demand then supply to reap larger profits.

    My final question is: Why would any person who is knowledgable nutrition 'wise' not be able to replicate these at home? If he is being honest about all of the ingredients, then its just a matter of trial and error.

  13. #13
    Kurz's Avatar
    Kurz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by geobatman
    I've broken the writing up in case you need breaks.

    My opinion.
    Anyone with a bit of business or stats knowledge will know that the opinions generated here will have a large bias.

    This type of product does not appeal to the general public at all. The 'fitness' community is very small, and products are quickly duplicated.

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My business advice, after 1 year of university commerce (im a fkin noob):

    1. Use own money/profit from sales to invest in minor manufacturing upgrades. (2nd oven, more refridgeration space, 2nd freezer, BULK ingredients)

    2. Find an amateur graphic design student who will help create a great logo with his Company name and HIS name (if ppl know who he is, exploit it). If its truely geared toward the fitness community, have all the right stuff on the packaging. Ask yourself, What looks better: Some random cookies in saran wrap or a product that is packaged nicely that feels semi-professional.

    - A would go for a snack-cake look. What I mean is those clear plastic covers, that perhaps have cardboard bottom to keep the cookies intact. Makes the consumers feel like he cares about his product.

    - Slap the logo with detailed nutritional information + additional marketing on a package similar to a snack-cake (horrible shit but have you ever noticed the clear packaging of these is one of the strongest selling points?)

    -this is pretty much as low risk/reward as you can go. In terms of fees, addition manufacturing costs what it costs. If he knows anyone online who is handy with graphic design or even a student might do it for like 20 bucks or free. The package w/logo and info should be made by another company (will be cheap as **** in bulk) But packaged at home, by himself (huge cost reduction)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

    You pose a problem in your initial post and i'll break it down by quoting you.
    1. "they are to die for. any ideas for getting these out?"
    2. "He can only afford to sell them in packs of 5. so it's $10 a pack, because ind. wrap is mucho $$"

    Basically what these two quotes tell us is that he has a good product and no money. If the profits are so low that individual wrapping significantly increases the costs, then there really isnt a future in this product.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above suggestions are technically the only step up from what he is currently doing. It boils down to.
    1. Increasing output (and costs)
    2. Increasing marketing.

    this is really dependant on how much demand he has to begin with. In conclusion, I think the product is doomed. If he is selling 3000 cookies a month and hardly turning a profit, he will need a SIGNIFICANT boost in demand then supply to reap larger profits.

    My final question is: Why would any person who is knowledgable nutrition 'wise' not be able to replicate these at home? If he is being honest about all of the ingredients, then its just a matter of trial and error.
    thanks for the response but the only value you gave was to find a cheap graphic art student..........1 yr in business school and you are far from knowledgeable, as you stated. It's not easy to start up a business (ask SC), it takes a lot of $$, a ton of time, and the right product. This plan he has is better than 99% i've seen, so to say it's doomed without knowing the facts is immature and idiotic. Money doesnt grow on trees and unless you are weathly, 3-5 years is the minimum turnaround before you really startt making it. if you make it at all. I've prepared a 3 year forcast and it's solid. 1st year is always the hardest, and the reason why individual packing will not work. If you sell a cookie at $2.00 a pop and it costs .30 to make and $1.80 to package, would that make sense? maybe doen the line, but not at first.
    I'm not saying this will make it, as they are a dime a dozen. but anyone who knows anything about nutirion would buy this, as the ingredients are 100% pure.

    I have 5 and they are frozen. Pull one out and it's cold and soft....amazing. chocolate chips melt in your hand, smells like an oatmeal cookie and tastes incredible for a nutrional product. thanks again for your attempt to help and I do like the graphics art idea.

  14. #14
    primetime1's Avatar
    primetime1 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Only In Jersey
    Posts
    569
    kurz... i know of a great graphic designer around me,student, who might be up to helping your client out.. also with your business and accnt backround would it be possible for you to help him out with gettin a business plan together. if hes doing 3000 locally, with proper marketing and advertising im sure he could do well with these. also, his target market is much bigger than geobatman stated, but im sure you know this already.. keep us updated

  15. #15
    geobatman's Avatar
    geobatman is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz
    thanks for the response but the only value you gave was to find a cheap graphic art student..........1 yr in business school and you are far from knowledgeable, as you stated. It's not easy to start up a business (ask SC), it takes a lot of $$, a ton of time, and the right product. This plan he has is better than 99% i've seen, so to say it's doomed without knowing the facts is immature and idiotic. Money doesnt grow on trees and unless you are weathly, 3-5 years is the minimum turnaround before you really startt making it. if you make it at all. I've prepared a 3 year forcast and it's solid. 1st year is always the hardest, and the reason why individual packing will not work. If you sell a cookie at $2.00 a pop and it costs .30 to make and $1.80 to package, would that make sense? maybe doen the line, but not at first.
    I'm not saying this will make it, as they are a dime a dozen. but anyone who knows anything about nutirion would buy this, as the ingredients are 100% pure.

    I have 5 and they are frozen. Pull one out and it's cold and soft....amazing. chocolate chips melt in your hand, smells like an oatmeal cookie and tastes incredible for a nutrional product. thanks again for your attempt to help and I do like the graphics art idea.
    Cool. My saying its doomed is based on statistics, not bias.

    The only thing I don't agree on is this.

    "but anyone who knows anything about nutirion would buy this, as the ingredients are 100% pure."

    too much of a blanket statement.

  16. #16
    Panzerfaust's Avatar
    Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    8,828
    *grabs popcorn and waits for next reply*

  17. #17
    kman's Avatar
    kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,132
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    *grabs popcorn and waits for next reply*
    Was going to also, but I am too busy thinking of ideas on how market my applie pies!!

  18. #18
    jdh's Avatar
    jdh
    jdh is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    big denver, CO
    Posts
    400
    youd be really suprised that it really wont take a ton of money . i use to watch alot of shows on the food network that talked about people selling their homemade foods. heres what he could do. stick to making them himself for now, make alot and find some gyms that might let him pass out free samples or something. if they get a good response he can get them to sell them at the counter with all the other crap they sell. he doesnt need no high tech packaging or anything for the time being. he can find lots of cheap ways to make a decent package. when he gets a bank roll going he can see about contracting the making and packaging out to a company and sell his product off to other retailers. its not quite as simple as it sounds but it dont take a ton of cash to sell a baked good.

  19. #19
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    When you sell intelligence there is no overhead!



    ~SC~

  20. #20
    SHRED's Avatar
    SHRED is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    CT *Formerly Buff_Daddy*
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    When you sell intelligence there is no overhead!



    ~SC~
    Amen!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •