Kurz is offline Member

My Olympic Client

I have reeled in a client (who won silver in swimming back in the 80's) who has developed a 100% natural cookie. All organic ingredients. Chocolate Chip and Macademia Nut. Each cookie (and they are huge!) is 300 cals, 20% fat, 30% protein and 50% carbs. Geared towards the fitness enthusiasts who is also an athlete and pushed for time. Must be frozen or refrigerated. Flax is the fat source and nuts.....whey and casein proteins.........sugar from fructose (very tiny) and carbs are oats.

He brought me 5 and I'll tell you what, they are to die for. any ideas for getting these out?

couple of problems I see. He can only afford to sell them in packs of 5. so it's $10 a pack, because ind. wrap is mucho $$. Also, they must be refrigerated. He's sold 2800 this month JUST to the local diving and swim team. They are crazy about them. SC - you are a bizness man - any thoughts?

thestudent is offline Associate Member
    Can he afford renting a kiosk in a local mall? I know the cookie companies have kiosk with fridges. He could get them out to the public that way and then go from there. Or maybe mail order. set up a website and ship with dry ice.

Kurz is offline Member
    very good ideas!

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Internet brother. Its the hub of global commerce and its only getting bigger.

I agree with Giantz on that

Kurz is offline Member
    freeze packs might be too $$

I know several companys use dry ice in a styrofoam (spelling?) box to ship products. This method seems pretty economical considering via internet website he would not be paying rent on a building or shop.

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    wow, he really needs to read up on business and talk to as many people as he can about this. money may not be an issue if he is selling these to many MANY people... i'll help get the word out because here at my University, i am in tight with the athletic squads, coaches and trainers...

Kurz is offline Member
    they are amazing!! If only they had more proteiin! MILK!

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    I am selling homemade apple pie!!!!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Internet brother. Its the hub of global commerce and its only getting bigger.
    Oh yeah!

~SC~

geobatman is offline Junior Member
    I've broken the writing up in case you need breaks.

My opinion.
    Anyone with a bit of business or stats knowledge will know that the opinions generated here will have a large bias.

This type of product does not appeal to the general public at all. The 'fitness' community is very small, and products are quickly duplicated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My business advice, after 1 year of university commerce (im a fkin noob):

1. Use own money/profit from sales to invest in minor manufacturing upgrades. (2nd oven, more refridgeration space, 2nd freezer, BULK ingredients)

2. Find an amateur graphic design student who will help create a great logo with his Company name and HIS name (if ppl know who he is, exploit it). If its truely geared toward the fitness community, have all the right stuff on the packaging. Ask yourself, What looks better: Some random cookies in saran wrap or a product that is packaged nicely that feels semi-professional.

- A would go for a snack-cake look. What I mean is those clear plastic covers, that perhaps have cardboard bottom to keep the cookies intact. Makes the consumers feel like he cares about his product.

- Slap the logo with detailed nutritional information + additional marketing on a package similar to a snack-cake (horrible shit but have you ever noticed the clear packaging of these is one of the strongest selling points?)

-this is pretty much as low risk/reward as you can go. In terms of fees, addition manufacturing costs what it costs. If he knows anyone online who is handy with graphic design or even a student might do it for like 20 bucks or free. The package w/logo and info should be made by another company (will be cheap as **** in bulk) But packaged at home, by himself (huge cost reduction)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

You pose a problem in your initial post and i'll break it down by quoting you.
    1. "they are to die for. any ideas for getting these out?"
    2. "He can only afford to sell them in packs of 5. so it's $10 a pack, because ind. wrap is mucho $$"

Basically what these two quotes tell us is that he has a good product and no money. If the profits are so low that individual wrapping significantly increases the costs, then there really isnt a future in this product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above suggestions are technically the only step up from what he is currently doing. It boils down to.
    1. Increasing output (and costs)
    2. Increasing marketing.

this is really dependant on how much demand he has to begin with. In conclusion, I think the product is doomed. If he is selling 3000 cookies a month and hardly turning a profit, he will need a SIGNIFICANT boost in demand then supply to reap larger profits.

My final question is: Why would any person who is knowledgable nutrition 'wise' not be able to replicate these at home? If he is being honest about all of the ingredients, then its just a matter of trial and error.

Kurz is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geobatman
    I've broken the writing up in case you need breaks.

My opinion.
    Anyone with a bit of business or stats knowledge will know that the opinions generated here will have a large bias.

This type of product does not appeal to the general public at all. The 'fitness' community is very small, and products are quickly duplicated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My business advice, after 1 year of university commerce (im a fkin noob):

1. Use own money/profit from sales to invest in minor manufacturing upgrades. (2nd oven, more refridgeration space, 2nd freezer, BULK ingredients)

2. Find an amateur graphic design student who will help create a great logo with his Company name and HIS name (if ppl know who he is, exploit it). If its truely geared toward the fitness community, have all the right stuff on the packaging. Ask yourself, What looks better: Some random cookies in saran wrap or a product that is packaged nicely that feels semi-professional.

- A would go for a snack-cake look. What I mean is those clear plastic covers, that perhaps have cardboard bottom to keep the cookies intact. Makes the consumers feel like he cares about his product.

- Slap the logo with detailed nutritional information + additional marketing on a package similar to a snack-cake (horrible shit but have you ever noticed the clear packaging of these is one of the strongest selling points?)

-this is pretty much as low risk/reward as you can go. In terms of fees, addition manufacturing costs what it costs. If he knows anyone online who is handy with graphic design or even a student might do it for like 20 bucks or free. The package w/logo and info should be made by another company (will be cheap as **** in bulk) But packaged at home, by himself (huge cost reduction)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

You pose a problem in your initial post and i'll break it down by quoting you.
    1. "they are to die for. any ideas for getting these out?"
    2. "He can only afford to sell them in packs of 5. so it's $10 a pack, because ind. wrap is mucho $$"

Basically what these two quotes tell us is that he has a good product and no money. If the profits are so low that individual wrapping significantly increases the costs, then there really isnt a future in this product.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above suggestions are technically the only step up from what he is currently doing. It boils down to.
    1. Increasing output (and costs)
    2. Increasing marketing.

this is really dependant on how much demand he has to begin with. In conclusion, I think the product is doomed. If he is selling 3000 cookies a month and hardly turning a profit, he will need a SIGNIFICANT boost in demand then supply to reap larger profits.

My final question is: Why would any person who is knowledgable nutrition 'wise' not be able to replicate these at home? If he is being honest about all of the ingredients, then its just a matter of trial and error.
    thanks for the response but the only value you gave was to find a cheap graphic art student..........1 yr in business school and you are far from knowledgeable, as you stated. It's not easy to start up a business (ask SC), it takes a lot of $$, a ton of time, and the right product. This plan he has is better than 99% i've seen, so to say it's doomed without knowing the facts is immature and idiotic. Money doesnt grow on trees and unless you are weathly, 3-5 years is the minimum turnaround before you really startt making it. if you make it at all. I've prepared a 3 year forcast and it's solid. 1st year is always the hardest, and the reason why individual packing will not work. If you sell a cookie at $2.00 a pop and it costs .30 to make and $1.80 to package, would that make sense? maybe doen the line, but not at first.
    I'm not saying this will make it, as they are a dime a dozen. but anyone who knows anything about nutirion would buy this, as the ingredients are 100% pure.

I have 5 and they are frozen. Pull one out and it's cold and soft....amazing. chocolate chips melt in your hand, smells like an oatmeal cookie and tastes incredible for a nutrional product. thanks again for your attempt to help and I do like the graphics art idea.

primetime1 is offline Member
    kurz... i know of a great graphic designer around me,student, who might be up to helping your client out.. also with your business and accnt backround would it be possible for you to help him out with gettin a business plan together. if hes doing 3000 locally, with proper marketing and advertising im sure he could do well with these. also, his target market is much bigger than geobatman stated, but im sure you know this already.. keep us updated

geobatman is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurz
    thanks for the response but the only value you gave was to find a cheap graphic art student..........1 yr in business school and you are far from knowledgeable, as you stated. It's not easy to start up a business (ask SC), it takes a lot of $$, a ton of time, and the right product. This plan he has is better than 99% i've seen, so to say it's doomed without knowing the facts is immature and idiotic. Money doesnt grow on trees and unless you are weathly, 3-5 years is the minimum turnaround before you really startt making it. if you make it at all. I've prepared a 3 year forcast and it's solid. 1st year is always the hardest, and the reason why individual packing will not work. If you sell a cookie at $2.00 a pop and it costs .30 to make and $1.80 to package, would that make sense? maybe doen the line, but not at first.
    I'm not saying this will make it, as they are a dime a dozen. but anyone who knows anything about nutirion would buy this, as the ingredients are 100% pure.

I have 5 and they are frozen. Pull one out and it's cold and soft....amazing. chocolate chips melt in your hand, smells like an oatmeal cookie and tastes incredible for a nutrional product. thanks again for your attempt to help and I do like the graphics art idea.
    Cool. My saying its doomed is based on statistics, not bias.

The only thing I don't agree on is this.

"but anyone who knows anything about nutirion would buy this, as the ingredients are 100% pure."

too much of a blanket statement.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    *grabs popcorn and waits for next reply*

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muriloninja
    *grabs popcorn and waits for next reply*
    Was going to also, but I am too busy thinking of ideas on how market my applie pies!!

jdh
    jdh is offline Associate Member
    youd be really suprised that it really wont take a ton of money . i use to watch alot of shows on the food network that talked about people selling their homemade foods. heres what he could do. stick to making them himself for now, make alot and find some gyms that might let him pass out free samples or something. if they get a good response he can get them to sell them at the counter with all the other crap they sell. he doesnt need no high tech packaging or anything for the time being. he can find lots of cheap ways to make a decent package. when he gets a bank roll going he can see about contracting the making and packaging out to a company and sell his product off to other retailers. its not quite as simple as it sounds but it dont take a ton of cash to sell a baked good.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    When you sell intelligence there is no overhead!

~SC~

SHRED is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    When you sell intelligence there is no overhead!

~SC~
    Amen!

Thread Information