xenithon is offline Member

Too many carbs postworkout??

I am on a low-medium carb diet, trying to lose BF% whilst maintaining muscle. I just wanted to ask anyone who is or has done something like this:

I have read everywhere how important post workout carbs are, especially simple and high GI ones are, for glycogen replenishment. Most sources say about 40-100g in one shot. Now, I don’t worry about having so many carbs in one meal, cause I can just ‘minus’ them from other meals so daily intake isn’t affected. What worries me is that so much is gonna be simple sugary carbs now. Previously I was having an MRP (myoplex)so it was about 20-25g carbs after workout (mainly from maltodextrin – the carb used in pretty much all MRP’s) and the rest of the day it was low GI, fibrous, complex carbs (oats, veges etc.). Now I switched to a pure whey protein postworkout and pure maltodextrin and dextrose. Does it not matter that now it will be double or more carbs as simple high GI carbs? Will it not affect the goal of cutting bf??

thanks!

beenie is offline Senior Member
    You bet it will affect cutting body fat. I had been on low carb for a zillion years and managed to keep my bf% very low. I recently began to eat carbs again and from my experience ther is a direct and liner relationship between consumpiion of carbs and retention of bf. This assumes that you are not starving yourself. My goal is to be very lean. Some guys want to get huge. For guys who want to be huge I think that the carb thing might work quite well. I also know of several guys in this very forum that I would concider huge that do low carb.

Now that I have expressed my opinion, bring on your onslought of flames guys! I can take the heat!

first onslought from me

i wasnt asking if adding carbs will affect me - duh! thats a rhetorical question the question is, if I have more carbs postorkout as simple carbs and remove this from my daily intake at other meals which are compolex, fibre full carbs, what affect may it have. reason i ask - i tend to feel a bit weak often and I think its cause i am not replensihing glycogen properly (only around 20g simple sugars post workout)

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I don't really know. I would think that if you don't burn the carb it will turn to sugar and then to fat. So, if you workout at night, carbs would seem counterproductive, but it you work out in the morning you would probably burn them off through the day.

This is reall idle speculation, but it seems to make sense.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    How many carbs you take in a day? You said I think if I member correctly, 150g. Have 50g for your first two meals, workout on no carbs, and make your body use stored glycogen for it's energy. Eat healthy fats BEFORE workout, with a bunch of fibrous carbs, with little to no real carbs.

Then have 50g of some kind of simple sugars post workout...My postworkout of choice is Fat Free Entenmanns, or Coco Puffs mixed with a shake (that I use as milk).

Have you ever heard of ALA? I hate advertising another board, so PM me and you can read up about the new breakthrough supplement, IMO. To make a long story short, it helps shuttle carbs into muscle and liver glycogen, instad of storing it as fat. Some people at another board have been taking 3g of ALA a day, taking in 200-300g of carbs and their keto stix were telling them "moderate ketosis". So you're telling me you can eat 300g of carbs and STILL be in moderate ketosis!!! Giddy up.

ALA? if its alpha lipoic acid, that can be arranged thanks for the info!

jbrand is offline Member
    insulin sensitivity is extremely high post-workout. the best thing to do eat your high GI carbs with protein (preferrably as a liquid) for about an hour after you workout. It will be less likely to have carb "spillover" and glycogen stores will be replenished and in turn recovery will be aided.

A good cheap post-workout mix is maltodextrin and whey, if you can handle it

Wrathchild is offline Junior Member
    I had been taking maltodextrin, whey, glutamine, and creatine post workout, but I was feeling like real s..t and I realized I needed something a little faster acting, then I threw into the brew some dextrose, my recovery is almost instantaneous, I feel my muscles pumped for a longer period of time, and in a matter of minutes I feel like I'm ready to go again, I take a ratio of 3 parts simple/complex carbs to 1 part whey protein.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Wrathchild
    I had been taking maltodextrin, whey, glutamine, and creatine post workout, but I was feeling like real s..t and I realized I needed something a little faster acting, then I threw into the brew some dextrose, my recovery is almost instantaneous, I feel my muscles pumped for a longer period of time, and in a matter of minutes I feel like I'm ready to go again, I take a ratio of 3 parts simple/complex carbs to 1 part whey protein.
    Sounds to me like you're right on the money. I still get my post-workout carb crash like 3 or 4 hours later, but an hour nap restores me.

D00fy is offline Anabolic Member
    where can i order dextrose for my creatine

D00fy is offline Anabolic Member
    on a cycle for mass what u think about 2bananas and protein shake for post workout

Socio is offline Associate Member
    not a good idea doofy bananas contain fructose which restores liver glycogen not muscle , so maybe a dextrose/fructose mix would be fine with some whey peptide mix.

Thread Information