Pembo is offline Junior Member

Fruit simple carbs, but does it matter?

Fruit is simple carbs but has a low GI which means that glucose is released at a low constant rate and doesn't spike insulin levels. From what I've read the main reason for this is because of the fibre (pectins) which fuit has lots of.

Bread and rice on the other hand is complex carbs but has a higher GI and causes a greater spike in the insulin levels.

Therefore for weight control and keeping insulin levels constant (What BB's require) fruit is better than these complex carbs.

It therefore makes me wonder why I read a lot of posts that say fruits are simple sugars so stay away if you are cutting or trying to lose weight. Surley there consumption should be advocated.

Plus fruits are a good source of water and vitamins.

The only problem with them is that they are not very good for saiety.

If I am wrong someone please point out as I would like to know why.

Fat4Now is offline Junior Member
    You are not wrong. But what I think most people on the boards are advocating is moderation when it comes to any types of carbs in consideration of cutting. Complex carbs may cause a higher spike however it has been my understanding that they burn more efficiently in regards to energy.

However, I am sure that someone here can explain this far better than I can. Bump for clarification.

superbeast is offline Member
    Fruit sucks! Period!

The reason fruit does not cause as much of an insulin spike is because fructose is used to replace liver glycogen first and foremost. Most of the energy released from the liver into the bloodstream from fruit is fat and not glycogen. Fat doesn't cause a change in insulin levels. I'm sure several people will totally disagree with me but there have been studies done to prove this.

I haven't had a piece of fruit or juice in probably 2 years. And, I know a thing or two about staying lean.

If you want to be lean, stay away from fats, sugars, fruit, and dairy.

Bump, can anyone confirm that it is the fructose in fruit that prevents the insulin from spiking. Personally I don't agree with this because normal sugar is sucrose 1 half fructose and normal sugar causes an insulin spike. (might be wrong though).

Also does the liver release fat from fruit. Surly it's just glucose not fat? (might be wrong again though).

Any opions welcome.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by Pembo
    Bump, can anyone confirm that it is the fructose in fruit that prevents the insulin from spiking. Personally I don't agree with this because normal sugar is sucrose 1 half fructose and normal sugar causes an insulin spike. (might be wrong though).

Also does the liver release fat from fruit. Surly it's just glucose not fat? (might be wrong again though).

Any opions welcome.
    It is glucose, but there is a whole metabolic process that takes place after fructose is converted to glucose in the liver. Fructose is shown to raise triglycerides, increasing insulin resistance, and in turn making you fat. Sure, glucose is stored as glycogen first (preferrably liver glycogen before muscle glycogen) but when glycogen stores are full it is converted to fat. There is also a limit as to how much fructose can be converted to glucose, which is around 200 calories a day, or 2 pieces of fruit.

Originally posted by Pembo
    Personally I don't agree with this because normal sugar is sucrose 1 half fructose and normal sugar causes an insulin spike. (might be wrong though).

What is "normal sugar"? Do you mean table sugar? Table sugar is pure sucrose.

I'll post some research when I get a chance to look it up. Maybe tomorrow?

This is a direct quote from John Parillo of Parillo Performance. He is an expert in nutrition and has worked with bodybuilders for over 30 years.

"Any muscle emptied of glycogen due to exercise is first on the list to get its quota of glucose. Clearly, one of the keys to effectively restoring glycogen is the type of carbohydrate you eat. Natural, complex carbohydrates such as potatoes, yams, whole grains, corn, legumes or maltodextrin-based drinks like our Pro-Carb™ Formula do a better job at this than simple sugars do. In one study, a diet high in starchy carbohydrates restocked more glycogen in the muscles 48 hours after exercise than simple sugars did. If you eat simple sugars like fructose, you're not going to be able to store as much glycogen.

Fructose is used primarily to restore liver glycogen; it's really not a good re-supplier of muscle glycogen. Glucose, on the other hand, bypasses the liver and is carried by the bloodstream straight to the muscles you just worked, where the glycogen-making process begins. Because of fructose's molecular structure, the liver readily converts it into a long-chain triglyceride (a fat). Therefore, a majority of the fruit you eat can end up as body fat on your physique."

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Very good post guys. well explained superbeast and jbrand.

xenithon is offline Member
    just to add something here:

even though the complex carbs are high GI, their complexity means they take a long time to change into sugar. fructose, even though causing a small insulin spike, converts rapidly to fat for storage since it is already simple.

Fat4Now is offline Junior Member
    I knew someone would explain it better than I could. :P

Cheers guys for clearing that misunderstanding I had, the only time I will eat fruit now is first thing in the morning to replace liver glycogen and only 2 pieces .

This is the type of info I need, keep the good stuff coming!!!

Thread Information