DirtyDog7 is offline Junior Member

Is Beef Liver Concentrate good?

Ten years ago, I was put on a bulking diet by an Old School Power Lifter. Part of the diet included 20 Beef Liver Tablets a day from Beverly International. I took 4 tablets every 3 to 4 hours. Each tablet is 2 grams of protein so 2 x 20 tablets gets me 40 grams total from beef liver concentrate.

Are there any studies to support adding beef liver concentrate to my diet?

Does anyone have experience with Beverly International and/or Beef Liver Concentrate?

I did a search and found out this supplement is still available through Beverly International but I don't want to take it just because I use too. I had great results back then but there could have been other reasons for that.

So what do you think of beef liver concentrate?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    i also used the same supplement at 20 pills a day as well as 20 of the amino acid tablets and had GREAT RESULTS. they really do have a good line of supps.

WOW! just looked at the price...FVCK THAT SH!T...their products are expensive...i guess i never noticed before cuz i wasnt paying for it.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    liver pills damn that is old school shit. Unless the liver pills has some other benificial stuff besides protein go with whey instead. Whey is the best protein aviable.

I assume the liver might be rich on vitamins. But that can easily be covered with supplements instead.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    Unless the liver pills has some other benificial stuff besides protein

I think that the Old School Guys thought that it did have something more than protein and vitamins but I have no idea what. I guess, if beef liver had more of a kick than just protein, more people would be taking it.

I'll stick to my regular sources of protein, unless there's a good reason to add beef liver.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Since the 70's these really fell off the BB'ers eating regimen..

Some were allergic to higher doses of iron and such...

IMO these should stay in the 70's and we should focus on the vast leaps in sports nutrition since the infamous liver tabs..

Back then everyone took em ... I dont know anyone taking them now...

Thanks for the input.

I guess I will save my money for other things.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    They use to be an essential part of my contest prep. I used the dessicated liver from Universal Nutrition.

Great amino source.. great mineral source.

I used 10 pills per meal with 5 or so ultimate nutrition amino 2000s.

I always felt anabolic on them ..lol

May've been placebo tho.. who knows?

I wouldn't buy 'em at Beverly International's prices tho.

Those prices are ridiculous

~Nark

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    liver pills damn that is old school shit. Unless the liver pills has some other benificial stuff besides protein go with whey instead. Whey is the best protein aviable.

I assume the liver might be rich on vitamins. But that can easily be covered with supplements instead.
    Yea liver is old school.. I do however think it was almosta supersupp tho.

Thinking back.. it had a great amino acid profile.. and also a great vitamin/mineral profile.

The only think missing by my recollection... would be vitamin C.

Shit i think imma get me a bottle of that stuff today.

Liver.. woot woot

~Nark

ToTheBuckeT21 is offline Senior Member
    I don't go near liver.. the liver is like the freakin trash man of the body.. it makes bile and filters everything out, all the toxic crap in the body the pestisides on the grass and whatever the cow eats all go into the liver and your then takin that in.. i'll get my amino's and protein some other place thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheBuckeT21
    I don't go near liver.. the liver is like the freakin trash man of the body.. it makes bile and filters everything out, all the toxic crap in the body the pestisides on the grass and whatever the cow eats all go into the liver and your then takin that in.. i'll get my amino's and protein some other place thanks.
    they make the cows take liv52 for a full 2 months before killing it.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTheBuckeT21
    It is true that the liver filters toxins in the body, however the benefits from consuming liver far out way the negatives...
    I suggest especially with liver to use an organic, grass-fed source. Liver is of nature's richest source of vitamins A, D, B6, B12, folic acid, Iron, Glutathione and various fatty acids. Raw liver has also some anti-cancer properties..

You also should have someone that really knows how to cook liver.. My mother was awesome when it came to cooking it. When prepared correctly it is very tender and tasty...

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Liver in any form is f*cking disgusting.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    I always felt anabolic on them ..lol

~Nark

When I switched to this diet, I broke my plateau and finally benched over 300lbs for the first time in my life.

But I'm thinking that my protein intake was too low and the liver pills helped me add more protein to my diet. But in my mind, I still give the credit to the liver pills not the extra protein.
    Last edited by DirtyDog7; 03-16-2006 at 01:22 PM.

I found this info today:

1. What are they and where do they come from?

Dessicated liver is extracted from the liver of beef cattle. It is rich in B vitamins and is a natural source of iron and folic acid.

2. What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?

Dessicated liver helps to increase red blood cell count and stimulate appetite. Anabolic steroids also stimulate appetite and increase red blood cell count.

Dessicated liver is a natural source of iron. Supplementing with too much synthetic iron can result in an iron overdose. Overdosing with synthetic iron can result in death. With natural sources of iron, overdose is almost never likely to occur, even in individuals who consume large quantities of red meat.

The Iron and B vitamins in desiccated liver tablets contribute to bone health, muscle building and immune functioning.

3. Who needs it and what are some symptoms of deficiency?

Everyone can benefit from supplementing with dessicated liver tablets. Populations that may benefit most from the supplementation of desiccated liver include: Bodybuilders and athletes, individuals with iron-related blood disorders, and individuals deficient in folic acid.

Bodybuilders and athletes may benefit from supplementing with dessicated liver due to its ability to stimulate appetite, improve blood health and contribute to the edition of lean body mass to one's frame. In the 1960s and '70s bodybuilders like Tom Plattz would supplement with liver tablets to maximize muscle gains.

Individuals suffering from anemia may benefit from supplementing with desiccated liver because it is a natural source of iron. Synthetic iron poses the possibility of overdose, while desiccated liver is free from this possibility.

4. How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?

Although there are no known side effects from supplementing with desiccated liver tablets, it is recommended that label directions be followed at all times. Individuals with iron related disorders should consult with a physician prior to the supplementation of dessicated liver.

5. Where can I get it?

There are different brand names that manufacture supplemental dessicated liver.

Thread Information