Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Whey VS weight gainers post workout

Does anyone else feel that you get better results if you only take in whey protein after your workout instead of fast carb/protein mix??

I always used to drink a weight gainer with 70g fast acting carbs and 40g protein post workout.

Now I only drink a shake with 50-60g whey protein in it and it feels alot better.
    I feel that I recover faster ect.
    But I also ALWAYS eat a big carb meal like 1 hour before workout and pop a couple of vanadyl and metformin tabs so I might still have some carbs running in my veins post workout from that meal.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Not sure, but i find the weight gainer, bloat me up and make me feel suggish for a good 2h, so could be the difference.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I feel full from both the weight gainer and the whey only for a full 1,5-2 hours. I can go upp to 3 hours without getting hungry after one(but that is because of my snail metabolism, I can eat a sandwich and wont get hungry for ages).

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I like to have a mixture of protein and carbs immediately after training. I usally mix 1 soop of whey and 2 scoops of dextrose (maltodextrin would be a better choice) in a tupperware container before heading to the gym. On my way out of the locker room I add some cold water, shake it up and drink it down. No bloat, refreshes, feel better in about 10-15 minutes. Then I eat a solid food meal about an hour later...usually lean steak and a green salad topped with a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinnegar.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    hey pete235

What whey are you using these days?

The reason i ask, is well.. i never feel that my diet is perfect and i am in the process of yet another re-write haha

thanks bro

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I use Optimum Nutrition whey...27g of whey per 30g scoop, 1.5 carbs, .5 fat. Drop me a line (pm) anytime BR.

IronCy is offline Senior Member
    I feel that it also depends heavily on when you workout---I myself dont get to workout until about 6:30pm--so by the time I am home--8:30-9:00ish, its pretty late--so I go with the pure whey (optimum)...During the day I also have a couple of shakes---I use a weight gainer then (NLarge by prolab)...I dont want to load my body up right before I go to bed, I feel that its ok during the day--preworkout.
    -Cy

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    hey pete i thought that maltodextrim retored liver glycogen levels and dextrose restored muscle glycogen levels,maybe im wrong

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    hey pete i did some research man and found that i should use a 50/50 ratio of malto/dextrose. and that it was fructose that restored liver glycogen levels. sorry for troubling you bro. bye the way pete, what is your post workout shake like? and then your 1 hour later meal? also do you eat the same exact meal for the meal after your 1 hour post workout meal?

Thread Information