Thread: low carb diet

gettingbigger816 is offline Junior Member

low carb diet

I am 22 yrs old 212 lbs and about 18% bf. I want to add muscle mass and minimize fat gain. My question is if i eat foods high in protein and high in fat such as steak, ham, eggs, pork, bacon, and sausage. I plan on keeping my carbs at 50g or less a day and between 250-300g. Will I lose muscle mass if i take in a high amount of protein. I plan to stay on this diet 4-5 weeks. Also going to be taking deca at 300 mg ew and 400mg test depot ew both for 10 weeks.

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    The key to gaining muscle while slowly losing bodyfat is nutritional manipulation. You will have to experiment with the differentials of upping your carb/pro/fat intakes. The key is utilizing the right kinds of carbs at the right times. That is the easy part. Determining what types of carbs at what times will be easy but the hard part will be determining how much,so you need to shoot a pm to tobey to determine your daily caloric needs. Once you have that determined start off with a 40/40/20 program. So in all actuality this will be pretty easy man. Basically you need to go with all complex low gi carbs all day increasing and decreasing amounts as the day proceeds and intake simple carbs ( specifically maltodextrin and dextrose immediately after your workout 35 grams of each) take the sugars with 50 grams protein and that will be your post workout meal. Time your meals precisely and stick with the plan. the key to change is precision and constituity-(staying on track and not giving up). well i know everything i said was jumbled but i was kind of in a rush so if you need something or dont understand then just pm me back, but please remember,fad diets are temporary and only cause pain,stick with what your born to eat that comes from breast milk. a 40/40/20 split.

wonderful world of oz,where juice is free,plentiful,sterile, and not toxic to the liver
    bump

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    I agree with Diesel. I am not a big fan of no carb diets although I do believe in keeping them complex carbs and elminateing simple carbs completely. There are those here that I respect greatly that will disagree with me on this one. Beenie and llbeastcd have vast knowledge in this area and first hand experince in how to run such diets. IMO( as well as most nutrionalist) your body needs carbs to process the protien you are taking in and build muscle AND to caryy out day to day body functions. Without them your body just fuels itself on much hard gained muscle tissue to compenate for this. To much salt can make you look really bloated and as far as sausage goes that is deffinetly a no, no. I would leave off the bacon as well. Most of the meats that you listed are no that high in protien as far as meats go. As a general rule try to leave pork out of your diet. ( Ok, OK, The fourth of July is comeing up and you can beat the Iron Chef is going to be grilling some ribs! ) But for the most part try to take in any type of fowl or fish. Steak is ok as long as you do not make it a stable part of your everyday meals. Try looking into some type of Protien supplement. Amino Acids, glutamine and the like.
    And NO you will not lose mass if your Protien intake is high. Heck that's what muscle is made of. High levels of protien can lead to some body fat gains if you are not active enough and burning off ehough calories.
    St82hellnbak has some good ideas as well. It really is not that hard once you know where you should be. You just gotta make yourself do it. Good luck
    IC
    Last edited by Tobey; 06-26-2002 at 07:18 PM.

tiny234 is offline Junior Member
    Thanx for all the info. great feedback. also i would like to add i have been on this diet for 2 days and today i could hardly move i was so tired, i was dragging myself around all day. i guess i was trying to cheat. i read about that diet in muscle and fitness and just liked the idea of getting to eat all that good stuff everyday.

tiny234 is offline Junior Member
    o btw this is my brothers name thats why its different from the name i originally posted with.

How is the diet coming along now? I would suggest you changing things up a bit b/c that diet must make you feel like total shit. Your not getting a lot of good protein and your getting way too many bad fats. Its basically a ultra high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet = shit.

Thread Information