Buy Steroids



Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    l2elapse's Avatar
    l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,372

    Blended vs Whole Food

    Does blending a food such as oatmeal diminish its nutritional value?

  2. #2
    Anabolios's Avatar
    Anabolios is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,605
    NOPE. It'll just make it easier to stomach.

  3. #3
    audis4's Avatar
    audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    n/a
    Posts
    6,747
    The only difference would be the GI of the blended oats would be a little higher vs. rolled oats 'whole.'

  4. #4
    usualsuspect's Avatar
    usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,936
    Actually yes. Especially when it comes to fruits and veggies. Blending breaks the cell walls and significantly increases the glycemic index because it increases surface area relative to mass, permitting better access of the enzymes that convert plant starch to sugar. (This is a major problem with white flour because milling creates a small particle of almost pure starch.)

  5. #5
    IBdmfkr's Avatar
    IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,383
    Yep.. fruit smoothies are no good because of this.

  6. #6
    l2elapse's Avatar
    l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,372
    im just talking about straight oatmeal, thats the only thing i blend. I blend in the morning 1 cup of oats, 1 scoop of whey and water. Does that lose nutrional value?

  7. #7
    audis4's Avatar
    audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    n/a
    Posts
    6,747
    Quote Originally Posted by justinandrews7
    im just talking about straight oatmeal, thats the only thing i blend. I blend in the morning 1 cup of oats, 1 scoop of whey and water. Does that lose nutrional value?
    No, like we said, just the GI value.

  8. #8
    l2elapse's Avatar
    l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by audis4
    No, like we said, just the GI value.
    sweet, thanks for the quick response

  9. #9
    audis4's Avatar
    audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    n/a
    Posts
    6,747
    Quote Originally Posted by justinandrews7
    sweet, thanks for the quick response

  10. #10
    IBdmfkr's Avatar
    IBdmfkr is offline AR VET
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,383
    I personally don't like a liquid diet as I feel the nutrients will pass through you too quickly.. why not cook the oats and scramble some eggwhites instead?

  11. #11
    Unoid is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    956
    Blended tuna, 12oz, only ay to go.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    597
    While we are at it, we can stop chewing too.

  13. #13
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Actually yes. Especially when it comes to fruits and veggies. Blending breaks the cell walls and significantly increases the glycemic index because it increases surface area relative to mass, permitting better access of the enzymes that convert plant starch to sugar. (This is a major problem with white flour because milling creates a small particle of almost pure starch.)
    I think the question is if it(in the case of fruits and berries) makes any difference since blending would be similar to chewing a bit extra

  14. #14
    l2elapse's Avatar
    l2elapse is offline That don't kill me, can only make me stronger
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,372
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I think the question is if it(in the case of fruits and berries) makes any difference since blending would be similar to chewing a bit extra
    my thoughts exactly Johan. We chew food and increase the surface area anways

  15. #15
    guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,992
    as long as the food is eaten soon after blending, I dont see the problem. the thing is, when you blend food, you break it down and the nutrients start to deteriorate, its called oxidation.

  16. #16
    guest589745 is offline 2/3 Deca 1/3 Test
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,992
    Quote Originally Posted by justinandrews7
    Does blending a food such as oatmeal diminish its nutritional value?

    Snce oatmeal is basically, for lack of a better word "dead", I dont think it matters.

    things like veggies and fruit are what you want to be careful of.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •