flexshack is offline Member

metrx protein bars??

hey guys
    i just bought some bars and noticed that the amt. of fat in them is really high!! i bought them anyway though. don't ask me why. they have 34 grams of protein in each bar. however, they have 8 or 9 grams of fat, 6 or 8 of which are saturated!! i know it is supposed to be a meal replacer but isn't that a bit much for the saturated fats?? carbs are low at about 13 grams. they taste pretty bad too and are very expensive! what do you guys think? thanks.
    flex

ptbyjason Guest
    look around on the site, there is a thread talking about protein bars. I believe it is in the supplement forum, but it may be in the diet forum. There are better choices than Met-Rx.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    You must have the "New and Improved" Protein Plus Chocolate Roasted Peanut. They are decent, not at all my fave though.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    They suck .... In fact I havent found a real good one yet .... the ratios really suck ....

Titanium2 is offline Junior Member
    The fat isn't all that horrible if that is basically your only source, like in a cutting phase. The fat slows the protein absorbtion/ digestion, preventing an insulin spike, allowing you to maintain a more level blood insulin level, beneficial for dieting.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    well the insulin spike would only occur off a high carb bar ,..... is that not correct... and on a cutting cycle you may to be cutting carbs as well , thereby cutting the bar itself

Titanium2 is offline Junior Member
    You are correct, high carbs would cause and insulin spike. As would a smaller amount of High glycemic carbs.... Obviously the spike of insulin would be much greater with these two.... HOWEVER, most protein powder's and bars have very bioavailable protein. They are already broken down, as compared with eating a steak or chicken breast. Therefore, they flood into your system at a much quicker pace than eating whole food. This will not cause a HUGE insulin spike... You are correct. That is not what I meant. What will occur will be a rise in insulin. This small amount of fat will limit that rise in insulin.

On a cutting phase, the key to optimal fat burning is to keep insulin levels consistent. You want slight waves, rather than high peaks. Except for immediately after training. Then you want the insulin to spike to promote an anabolic enviroment for growth.

Thread Information